Droid vulnerability

Skull One

Reaction score
I saw this headline today: Researcher Claims iPhone Apps Could Spy on You at Researcher Claims iPhone Apps Could Spy on You This made me wonder just how vulnerable is the Droid to the same kind of attempted attack?

How to phrase this?

The Android OS is open. The Market is open.

That means anyone at any time can make an app that can dig thru your phone and upload it to a server.

The reason Apple is less likely is because all programs are reviewed.

The Market simply tells you what services an App uses, and it up to you to weigh the risks of letting those features run on your phone with your data.

OP
astevens54

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I saw this headline today: Researcher Claims iPhone Apps Could Spy on You at Researcher Claims iPhone Apps Could Spy on You This made me wonder just how vulnerable is the Droid to the same kind of attempted attack?

How to phrase this?

The Android OS is open. The Market is open.

That means anyone at any time can make an app that can dig thru your phone and upload it to a server.

The reason Apple is less likely is because all programs are reviewed.

The Market simply tells you what services an App uses, and it up to you to weigh the risks of letting those features run on your phone with your data.

That was my understanding as well. I had asked in another section of this forum, what is the approval process for new apps in the Market? I would be interested in seeing an answer to that. I find it hard to believe and somewhat concerning that if in fact any app could be added to the Market. Let's hope that's not the case...

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Pretty sure there is no screening process for the app market on android considering some of the "Just In" games are just naked women apps.

OP
astevens54

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
After doing some research, it looks like it's wide open like Skull One said open source. The concern here is someone injecting malicious code into your phone. I guess one of the way of protecting yourself is to stay with mainstream apps???