Droid vs htc passion

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know the Droid is underclocked from 600 Mhz down to 550 Mhz to save battery life and preveny overheating. How will they handle the 1 Ghz chip which is supposed to be in the Passion/Dragon? Will they need to severely underclock it or have they solved these problems somehow? Will be interesting to see.

Not all chips are underclocked because they produce too much heat, or consume too much battery. It will be interesting, if this IS a real phone, to see what they do with it. Oh, and by the way, the vapor Passon IS supposed to render more polygons than any current phone in place, including the iPhone. I forget where I read that, but will dig it up for you guys.

Probably a reference to the HD2 which is a real phone.

Not all but alot of them are underclocked, if not to produce less heat then to save on battery life. Most people i've talked to are speculating that even though the passion will have a 1Ghz processor it will not be running at that speed. Of course everything is speculation, but at 1Ghz it would produce alot more heat, so unless they come up with an innovative design to cool it down, then there will be issues. Having the droid and seeing how much heat CAN be put out on it when you are charging and using it heavy mode, it can get pretty dang hot... close enough to too hot. And we are what, at 550Mhz, your talking about a phone that is possible of 1Ghz, and people think it will be running at 1Ghz, doubtful. Once phones start getting that high of a speed, they are seriously going to have to do something about heat issues. Not to mention that will take a toll on battery, which so far, batteries are not miracles of science, they can't have that much of a charge in that little of a space (yet). Talk about bad battery life, go pick up an eris and see how long you can go with moderate to heavy use on it. I will be amazed if this unit stocks at 1Ghz, not only to see if the unit explodes due to heat, but how long the battery would last even under moderate use.

The Mhz's i've heard floating around the rumormill have been 750-800Mhz.

kman79

Reaction score
I've had great luck with HTC phones, in fact, I strongly believe they're produce much better hardware than Motorola. I've had very bad luck with motorola phones from the past, and with all my random restarts/reboots with my droid, my bad luck continues. There's a reason why everyone talked about how motorola as a cell phone manufacturer is very close do dying, I was hoping the Droid would be start of something different and good. In terms of software or when the phone actually works, it's great and I can't complain. But just today alone, I've had four random reboots with the phone not doing anything except laying on my table.

I'm hoping the Passion comes out before the 24th, if it does, the droid goes back for a swap for the Passion. Regardless, this Droid is going back for a swap out on Monday.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had great luck with HTC phones, in fact, I strongly believe they're produce much better hardware than Motorola. I've had very bad luck with motorola phones from the past, and with all my random restarts/reboots with my droid, my bad luck continues. There's a reason why everyone talked about how motorola as a cell phone manufacturer is very close do dying, I was hoping the Droid would be start of something different and good. In terms of software or when the phone actually works, it's great and I can't complain. But just today alone, I've had four random reboots with the phone not doing anything except laying on my table.

I'm hoping the Passion comes out before the 24th, if it does, the droid goes back for a swap for the Passion. Regardless, this Droid is going back for a swap out on Monday.

I think your mistaking hardware for software this go around. Most of the random reboots have been associated with software glitches. Other then the back door not staying on very well, i haven't personally had any problems with this, and i haven't heard of many other hardware related problems. I haven't had my phone "randomly" reboot ever. Seeing as it HAS to have a 2 week clearance from the FCC before it goes live. Your 24th date window is pretty much closing. Most rumors i've heard stated at least January if not February, at the earliest.

HTC Eris sports a 1300 mAh battery. Talk time: 214 min
Moto Droid sports a 1400 mAh battery. Talk time: 384 min

And look at how many posts there are about the battery life of the eris. Most are getting around 4 hours of use... lol that phone would be taken back in a dang heartbeat. Most droid owners are getting around 7-8 with moderate to heavy usage. With only 100mAh difference, there's something wrong with HTC, so if it's not HTC that is the problem, then it's there awe sparkling sense ui.

Last edited:

kman79

Reaction score
That's the thing, I've read on other boards how their Droid randomly reboots, but after swapping it out, the issue has been resolved. I'd blame it in software myself at first, but if that's the case, then just about everyone would have reboot/restart issues since we're all running the same software.

Really have no complaints about the battery life, the phone easily finishes the day off with a good amount of battery power left, which is a huge improvement over the iPhone that I left behind with ATT.

EDIT: Just wanted to add: I hardly doubt any of the new phones coming out with the 1ghz dragon processor will be released at full 1ghz...just about every phone rumored to have that processor is rumored to be released with it underclocked.

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
Guys just think about HTC HD2 and Sony Ericsson X10. They run 1GHz processors are they overheating??

I never previously owned a motorola or htc but now I have a motorola and I have to say I'm very unhappy. Quality of my droid is just horrible. I've never used htc before but hopefully they're not like motorola on quality because I'm jumping onto the htc boat.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Ezed you are mistaken my friend. But our army doesn't need you. Go to HTC where you can have as many phones as flavors of candy and icecream.

Motorola was in the dumps...that is for sure. They were in last place amongst cell phone manufacturers. But this is why the Motorola had no choice to produce a good quality product (better than good), except if it wanted to fail.

When a company like HTC mass produces various cell phones on every carrier, it has no real incentive to push one over another. Of course initially the new phone becomes the "hot phone" for them (bad business decision). But in reality they do not want to slight or take away from any of their other products. They continuously release good quality B+ products and will most likely continue to do so.

Motorola had its back against the wall with no where to go. Now you tell me...when a fighter or a team has nothing to lose and is fighting for its life... Are you going to bet on them to come out with determination, focus and grit? For the most part...yes.
This is what happened with the Droid.

If you have a Droid, just like with most other products including the laptop you are using (IF YOU ARE USING ONE), it will get warm with use or in various circumstances.

If your Droid is freezing and doing everything else..you have no one else to blame but yourself. You probably have downloaded anything you can get your hands on and screwed up your operating system. There is no reason for it to be doing so otherwise. So if you think that an HTC phone won't be operating the same way as your Droid after trashing it with poor quality 3rd party apps, you are mistaken.

(Simply type in the name of the cell phone and then overheating on any search engine (including xperia, iphone, or htc) and you'll see that most can get warm. Sorry but when you want to fit a basketball inside a pebble, sometimes things work out that way.)

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had little faith in Motorola before getting my DROID... but the hardware is solid... issues people are having are OS related... most of which are fixed by exchanging for another DROID.

Build quality hasn't left anything to be desired for me. I think Moto did a good job. Like a lot of people have said... it was make or break for Moto. Their reputation was/is at stake.

I love Sense btw... but you'll have to pry my DROID from my hands... even if you're trying to put an HTC in it :) The 1gHz processor does make me drool a lil tho :p

cgarnes

Reaction score
Uh oh, now I have got to chime in here (for good or bad). I CAME from an HTC phone, and I loved it (it was the top of the line phone that AllTel had in their lineup back when I got it, the HTC PPC-6800). It was cool, BUTTTTTTT.... Windows Mobile 6.whatever it was (their latest version) got a virus and my operating system locked up, and that was the end of that. I could no longer edit, copy, paste, add, delete, or anything. All THAT smartphone could do was make calls and beam files. Some smartphone.

If there WAS an anti-virus program for WM, I didn't know about it. As careful as I was with what I did when I was online with that phone (and I was), I still had a "dumb phone".

Granted, I have had a few issues with my Droid (it was replaced, free of charge), and my second one is PERFECT.

There is NO COMPARISON. Even my original "buggy Droid" beat my HTC handset - hands down.

Give the Droid a try - hang in there - you will not be sorry.

Oh, and the first app I downloaded for my Droid was Flexilis (I think it's called Lookout now, and I am one VERY happy VZN customer.

Droid DOMINATES!

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
I guess Ill give Motorola another chance by exchanging the Droid. You guys make Motorola sound so badass haha. Ive never used either HTC or Motorola until now so hopefully Motorola will provide me with a better experience when I exchange this phone.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Every phone I have ever owned has either been a Motorola or an HTC device (well, except for one stray Audiovox... the Thera). Motorola has never made BAD products. They lost their way in development, and stuck with the Razr model a bit too long with nothing to follow it up and clung a little to tightly to WinMo as well. If there is a knock on their products, it is usually they are either "uninspired" or "over-engineered" or both. They also have a tendency to need two or three revisions or firmware upgrades to get things right... which can be rather annoying.

HTC's claim to fame is that they make decent quality Smart Phones at prices affordable to "the masses" This is HTC's biggest benefit... and also their Achilles Heel. HTC reminds me a lot of Dell... in this regard. They make their prices affordable usually by cutting a corner here or there (slightly slower processor, less RAM, etc). Now the benefits are... not everybody can spring for huge amounts of money for a phone, and HTC usually have a good price. The drawback is that while there are finally rumors to the contrary (and of course the HD2... if it ever gets here) that HTC is finally ready to step up their game with some top notch hardware... but I am leery and wonder (for example) if they do put a Snapdragon processor in a phone like the passion, what other corner are they going to cut?

This is all a long way of saying, they are both good... and they both suck... it depends on what you wish to dwell on.

delriogil

Reaction score
Well said, JayMonster. I got the Droid the moment it came out and once I heard about the rumored HTC Passion the second day I bought the Droid, all I could think about was getting it. As time went by I got more and more used to my Droid. Yesterday I was the closest I've ever been to turning in my Droid and waiting for the HTC Passion to come out. The closer I got to returning it, the more I wanted to keep it. In the end, I decided to hold on to my Droid. I still have another line that's due for an upgrade, and if the HTC Passion turns out as good as it seems to be, if it comes out, then I'll decide on whether I'll get it and sell my Droid. As for now, I have grown to my Droid and feel that it's been the best phone I've had thus far.

The phone hasn't given me any problems like spontaneous restarts as many others have written about. Mind you that I did have to restart my phone many times at first because I went app crazy. But now that I've researched more about what apps are most stable and useful, my phone is much more solid and reliable. With time it's only going to get better as app and phone updates are only going to benefit the user experience.