Droid vs Devour OS

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Goldy, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Goldy

Goldy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wondering if anyone knows why the Droid has an OS 2.0.1 but the newly released Devour has an OS 1.6? Seems strange that they would launch a new product with an older version operating system. Any help? I am having problems downloading the app Epocrates to my Devour but downloads to the Droid just fine - frustrating!
  2. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    It was my understanding that the Devour was intended to be sort of a lite version of the droid. Maybe thats got something to do with it?

I may be wrong but if the Devour is less powerful, maybe it doesn't run 2.0 well?
  3. eskion

eskion New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to /bump this and post a little information that I have just acquired.

The droid has a 600 MHz Qualcomm MSM7227 underclocked to 550MHz where the Devour has a 600 MHz Qualcomm MSM7627 that actually runs at 600MHz.

Also, the MSM7627 (the CPU on the Devour) has a dedicated 200 MHz graphics core.

Devour is supposed to get (or already has) Android 2.0.1.
    I see no reason why the Devour would be considered "less of a smart-phone" compared to the droid, unless Motoblur is garbage.
    I'm looking into anything I can find on the Devour because I have a Droid and my wife is now wanting one as well, but she wants the raised keys (like I have on my droid) but all of the new Droids have the flat keys. Devour has raised keys.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  4. modette

modette Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My wifes uses 'Epocrates' on the Droid with no problems as you know. Have you tried contacting 'Epocrates' to see if they know, or plan to support the Devour device. They seem to get back to my wife pretty quick when she had some questions.

You a Doctor, or Pharmacist!!! Just curious, my wife is the later.
  5. modette

modette Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I got the answer at the epocrates site
    http://epocrates1.custhelp.com/cgi-...nBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9ZGV2b3Vy&p_li=&p_topview=1

"Epocrates supports Android phones with an operating system of 1.6 or above. If your device does not have Android version 1.6 or higher, Epocrates will not even be displayed in the Android Market.

To check your operating system version, please do the following:
    Go to the applications area of your phone.
    Select "Settings."
    Scroll towards the bottom and select "About Phone."
    What is your "Firmware Version?" It needs to be 1.6 or higher to install Epocrates.

If your device does not have OS 1.6, we regret that you will not be able to install Epocrates. You may wish to inquire with your phone carrier as to when an OS upgrade may be available.

A memory card is needed in order to install Epocrates into an Android device.

It should also be noted that the Barnes & Noble Nook, though an Android device, is not supported by Epocrates.

Please note that the current beta version of Epocrates for Android is not compatible with the Motorola Devour. "
  6. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It takes awhile for a new phone to be processed through the various FCC cert, technical, marketing, stocking, sales, etc. steps. I suspect that the reason the Devour has the 1.6 build of the Android o/s is simply that a more up-to-date build wasn't available when it began that long trek. The hardware is certainly capable of running 2.1 and I suspect it will be released for the Devour at about the same time as the update for the Eris.
  7. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4

While the Droid may run at a lower speed, its more efficient, and faster. It runs twice the speed of the graphics core, and double the resolution.

You simply cannot compare the CPUs. Its like comparing an old Intel Celeron to a current day CPU. Same speed means squat.
  8. eskion

eskion New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Comparing an Intel Celeron CPU to a current day i5, i7, or even a C2D, is no where close to what I was doing.
    The Devour has a newer CPU than the Droid, has a faster clock speed, and has a dedicated GPU core.
    Judging by this information I would think the Devour has the upperhand on processing power as well as graphics rendering.
    Also, I understand that the devour has a screen resolution of 320x480, where the droid has a resolution of 854 x 440, but that would also suggest that with the extra processing power of the devour it would run faster all the way around because it has less rendering to do.
    Dedicated graphics core + and lower resolution = faster rendering.

You really have to think of these phones as computers when you compare them.
    A computer with a video card playing a game at 1024x768 will run much faster than a computer using on board video playing a game at 1280x1024.
  9. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    The Droid has a dedicated GPU as well (a PowerVR SGX530 GPU) and the ARM Cortex A8/OMAP3430 series CPU is more advanced then the CPU in the Devour.

Here's some good reading... taken from
    Smart Mobile World: About the Motorola Devour
  10. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4

Fair enough.

To treat these like computers when comparing them:

Devour: Pentium 4 3ghz
    Droid: C2D 2.4ghz

Yep, the Devour is faster speed wise. Doesn't mean much though, does it.

As for the GPU, I'm not even gonna compare it. Its obvious how poor it is in comparison.
Search tags for this page

+android msm7627 firmware download