Droid vs. Blackberry

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
3. I miss the hardware answer and end call buttons. It's wonderful to just know you'll be able to answer and end calls reliably.

Annoyances of mine, as well. More than a few times I've lost the call screen, had my phone drop into sleep mode, and fumbled around trying to end a call.

But I see a new feature, might be Froyo or another app, enables you to end a call by pressing the power button. Maybe someone could create an app where two quick clicks of the camera button would launch the dialer. Or long pressing the Home button (since I never use it to access recent apps).

FootballRef

Reaction score
Droid > BB Pearl

I did like to combined message/email inbox on the BB....but, IMO, that was the only BB advantage

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I did like to combined message/email inbox on the BB....but, IMO, that was the only BB advantage

Pure Messenger Widget ($3-$4) and Executive Assistant (free) both do this, however I think both rely on K9 for exchange mail, and that can be very tricky to set-up.

But K9 has some issues. google's corp mail worked great for me, but unfortunately developers aren't able to access the API or something and so have to rely on K9.

FootballRef

Reaction score

Pure Messenger Widget ($3-$4) and Executive Assistant (free) both do this, however I think both rely on K9 for exchange mail, and that can be very tricky to set-up.

But K9 has some issues. google's corp mail worked great for me, but unfortunately developers aren't able to access the API or something and so have to rely on K9.
I don't use Exchange. I do use K-9 already. Would there be a problem there useing hotmail with it this way?

edit-----downloading Exec Asst. now to try it out. Thanks!

ricks

Reaction score
They are completely different tools.

BLACKBERRY

1. BB is the king of email. Even with the hardware keyboard, the Tour is the best device if you do a lot of email.

2. Stable OS. Most things just don't crash. It's rock stable.

3. I miss the hardware answer and end call buttons. It's wonderful to just know you'll be able to answer and end calls reliably.

4. Great Outlook compatibility.

DROID

1. If you do a ton of web surfing, the current Tour doesn't hold a candle. Next version with touch screen will be better.

2. Reading documents is wonderful - very high resolution screen, horizontal mode makes viewing PDFs great, even at small sizes.

3. Battery life is atrocious.

4. Operating system is flaky and add-on applications means many crashes per day.

5. Google sync and voice - great. Outlook compatibility - ridiculous, absurdly bad.

6. Good/bad: Many great apps, much larger and much cheaper than Blackberry, some still very immature in stage, e.g. Facebook.

Bottom line: They both get the job done. Blackberry is still the premiere business and power emailing tool. But if you do a good amount of web browsing (I do for work) and coupled with all the apps, it's a great experience if you can deal with the crashing and incompatibility.

If your Droid crashes alot, you must be doing something wrong or you have a problem with your droid. Mine never crashes. Anyone else have a crashing problem?

tine22775

Reaction score
Reply to blackberry vs. droid x

I switched from the blackberry tour to the droid x last week. I have already changed back to my blackberry for a few reasons.

Things I don't like about the Droid:
You can't permanently delete texts, call logs & emails unless you delete the actual contact
Battery dies after 6-8 hrs (& thats not even using the phone much)
Twitter apps
The phone gets HOT

Things I love about the Droid:
touchscreen
size of the screen
free gps
alot of cool/free apps
speak to text feature
wi fi

Things I love about my blackberry:
twitter app
blackberry messenger
you can delete texts, emails & calls permanently, easily
battery
im use to it (LOL)

Things I don't like about my blackberry:
trackball
no wi fi
gps is not free

I have not returned the droid yet. I have until the 30th to decide weather im going to keep it or return it. What should I do?! LOL!

droid15

Reaction score
Ok any droid is 10x better than the black berry... the blackberry just sucks.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
I switched from the blackberry tour to the droid x last week. I have already changed back to my blackberry for a few reasons.

You can't permanently delete texts, call logs & emails unless you delete the actual contact
Twitter apps
The phone gets HOT

Things I love about the Droid:
touchscreen
size of the screen
free gps
alot of cool/free apps
speak to text feature
wi fi

Things I love about my blackberry:
twitter app
blackberry messenger
you can delete texts, emails & calls permanently, easily
battery
im use to it (LOL)

Things I don't like about my blackberry:
trackball
no wi fi
gps is not free

I have not returned the droid yet. I have until the 30th to decide weather im going to keep it or return it. What should I do?! LOL!

Have you tried a long press (hold down your finger for 2 sec) and select delete? I have been able to do this on the droid in every version of Android. And yeah, the phone is way more powerful and much faster than a blackberry, this creates heat and uses lots of battery, and in a slim package, they just cant fit a large battery in there, so might try keeping a spare around, they are small and easy to pocket. I personally just keep a usb cable with me and charge it while im at work. Not sure if Seidio is working on an extended battery for this or not.

tine22775

Reaction score
There is NO WAY to delete the contact history. the only option it gives is to "delete contact". I think they will probably come up with something to fix that because alot of people are complaining about it.

Don't like the fact that I have to plug the phone in a few times a day. I know they are working on a new battery & back for the phone but I may just return it & wait for them to work out all the cons & then purchase it later.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is NO WAY to delete the contact history. the only option it gives is to "delete contact". I think they will probably come up with something to fix that because alot of people are complaining about it.

Don't like the fact that I have to plug the phone in a few times a day. I know they are working on a new battery & back for the phone but I may just return it & wait for them to work out all the cons & then purchase it later.

I'm not understanding, delete contact history. The only history that I know that it keeps is in your phone and you can clear that with a touch of the button.

Battery and back? I wouldn't get my hopes up, they've already changed the back once. If you don't have a new back you can get one from Verizon.

And it could be a matter of maybe the Droid isn't for you. It's not for everybody, some people are happier with Blackberry. Nothing wrong with that.

tine22775

Reaction score
if you go to the Contacts on your phone & push the screen to the right or left, a screen that says "contact history" comes up & it has all the emails, calls & texts, even the ones you deleted on there. If you try to delete them from that page, the only option it gives is to delete the actual contact. This is on the Droid X. I'm not totally against the Droid.....I'm still trying to figure out which I'm going to keep. Weighing out the pros & cons of both.

dagr8tim

Reaction score
My last phone was a Storm, before that I had an 8830. I also carried a Tour for work. When I got my Droid, I realized all the things I didn't like about the blackberry OS, that I didn't know I didn't like.

Blackberries OS looks dated and unwieldy. And then they tried to lump consumer apps and products on top that made it look worse.

My GF went from a storm to a droid and only misses BBM.

wil318466

Reaction score

Twitter apps
The phone gets HOT

Not sure what you mean by permanently delete, but I think you are just doing something wrong.

Batteries do die, but you may have some settings on that are kiling the battery.

Dunno about twitter

Lots of phones get hot.

Obviously people are going to like what they like. It's especially hard to go from one smartphone brand to another, because you are used to particular things. I'm sure if I went from Android to Blackberry right now I'd complain, same as I would if I went to iPhone.

Apparently, however, Android is doing something right. They are getting some crazy number like 200k new users a day. I said it as soon as the Droid came out, the game is already over, it just depends on how long it takes. Android WILL dominate the market, it's just a matter of time.

Having choices is a good thing, though. Go for the Blackberry. Personally, I don't think I'll ever go for Blackberry or Iphone.

Fault

Reaction score
You can delete messages...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

SCDroid

Reaction score
Just go to your text screen and clear the messages out. what's the big deal? you can do that for your call log also. you can edit any part of a persons contact that you want.