Droid vs. Blackberry

claustin

Reaction score
I also miss having the complete handsfree dialing via bluetooth that the Droid is still lacking (although I'm hoping is fixed in the near future).

I second that. It's like the iPhone not having MMS at launch. Hopefully it won't take as long to get bluetooth dialing added as it did for MMS to show up on the iPhone. Honestly though I didn't miss MMS as much as I'm missing hands free dialing.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Droid doesn't crash unexpectedly and frequently, no memory leaks to slow my phone to a crawl, NO DAILY BATTERY PULLS needed AT ALL!

Yea I owned a Storm :)

Never again RIM. Way too far behind.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Visually, BB's don't hold a candle to any Android device or the IPhone, and touchscreen is the wave of the future
That's a highly subjective matter. Touchscreens just don't compare to tactile keyboards IMO. Even on my desktop PC I'm very specific about using only IBM Model M's. Obviously, YMMV.

personally I can't stand the tacky look of the BB UI's and trackballs are worthless reminders of the old ball mice we all used to frequently use...and clean. I don't know why phones still use them.
Don't forget to ask HTC why... :D Trackballs aren't exclusive to the BB by any means.

However with the price of the Droid coming down and the fact there are other quality Android devices available, it just seems like a foolish idea to go with anything else. Hell I'd go with the iPhone first, as it also eclipses Blackberrys if you ask me...
Depends on the application IMO. I wouldn't hesitate to stick to BB's in a corporate environment with a BES where the users are only doing email anyway. Droid support would be a nightmare from looking at the forums. Corporate users don't even have a fraction of the initiative that forum users here do. As it is, we spend very little time supporting several hundred BB's. I know our experience doesn't jive with yours but it is what it is.

As a personal device though? Definitely the Droid IMO.

Unless I missed it when reading through the posts, I'm surprised no one compared call quality. I was a long time BB user who is currently digging my Droid, but I personally felt the call quality on the BB was much better than the Droid.
My experience hasn't been the same, FWIW. I can't really say that one has been drastically better than the other in my experience. I've had far less trouble with Verizon's network than at&t's though. YMMV, of course.

What's sad about the Droid is that the outlook/business part isn't up to par but that's expected. But being beaten badly by the Blackberry when it comes to audio/video is a major embarrassment.
I'm not sure I'd say that the Droid is "beaten badly" by the Blackberry for a/v. The Droid certainly has the upper hand in that it is much more likely that you can modify the Droid the way you want, IMO at least. That seems to be something that a lot of people new to Android seem to overlook. The BB is much more "set" in its ways.

My Droid doesn't crash unexpectedly and frequently, no memory leaks to slow my phone to a crawl, NO DAILY BATTERY PULLS needed AT ALL!
My 8310 didn't either but I still prefer the Droid.

Last edited:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Visually, BB's don't hold a candle to any Android device or the IPhone, and touchscreen is the wave of the future
That's a highly subjective matter. Touchscreens just don't compare to tactile keyboards IMO. Even on my desktop PC I'm very specific about using only IBM Model M's. Obviously, YMMV.

personally I can't stand the tacky look of the BB UI's and trackballs are worthless reminders of the old ball mice we all used to frequently use...and clean. I don't know why phones still use them.
Don't forget to ask HTC why... :D Trackballs aren't exclusive to the BB by any means.

When I say touchscreens are better, I'm referring almost 100% to general navigation of the phone, I LOVE the hardware keyboard, it's why I got the Droid. As of right now, I believe sliders are the best phones out; physical and reliable keyboard, with comfortable touchscreen navigation.

I know trackballs aren't exclusive to BB, I hate them on any phone lol

I'm not a heavy businessman at the moment but I still send and receive emails multiple times a day so I'm still having a hard time believing BB's are better per se; maybe someone can be more specific. Other than not being able to forward attachments (apparently) I can send and receive email, read attachments using Quick office, calender is always up to date. The only plus when I had the BB was that I was on the BES so it was easier to look people up, but if you're not on the BES then it's just as worthless in that aspect.

Last edited:

slinky

Reaction score
I know trackballs aren't exclusive to BB, I hate them on any phone lol

I'm not a heavy businessman at the moment but I still send and receive emails multiple times a day so I'm still having a hard time believing BB's are better per se; maybe someone can be more specific. Other than not being able to forward attachments (apparently) I can send and receive email, read attachments using Quick office, calender is always up to date. The only plus when I had the BB was that I was on the BES so it was easier to look people up, but if you're not on the BES then it's just as worthless in that aspect.
This is why it's better not to state conclusions with such conviction without looking at the whole.

1. Trackballs/pads are amazing. Navigation is so much more improved without having to use your finger on the other hand to smear the screen all the time. However it isn't a replacement for a touch screen for browsing. Blackberry screwed this up numerous times like they continue to do with the $ sign being a single keyboard press.

2. You admit you do receive and send email but it isn't as vital for your business. The Blackberry email program is still far quicker and more efficient than K-9 in many ways. If you use much email, having the hardware keyboard with portrait orientation will save you many minutes, not seconds, over the course of a day. Time to delete spam, etc. is lightning quick on the BB. The mail app is MUCH smoother, doesn't crash, and as much as I love K9 it doesn't compare to the reliability of BB and the entire app as a whole, with some exceptions.

3. Let's not even compare phone dialing, which is a JOKE on the Droid. The BB OS allows you to type in names, numbers right off the keypad and done. Get to your phone app and do what you need in one press. Motorola forgot it was making a phone. We'll see what 2.1 update brings but they will get their clock cleaned by HTC should they release a keyboard version. Lookup on the Droid requires a third party app for searching, etc. The BB is miles better from an integrated calendar/contacts standpoint.

4. Outlook standalone - NOT Exchange - is an embarrassment on the Droid. As I said earlier, it is the most popular email/information manager on the planet. Google doesn't care to like it. HTC realizes every phone has a conduit for this. Moto didn't do anything. I tried Companion Link and it still needs work. In addition, if you use other apps there can be formatting that will make apps choke (e.g. I used CL for a conversion as best as possible and my backups would fail because of data formatting.) Do a search in Google for Outlook and Droid and you'll find a multitude of complaints/questions about this. The Palm Vx had Outlook sync, for heaven's sake. So did every Treo. Droid is Google and to heck with whatever else you may use. Absurd and I'll bet many who care will choose other phones with all things compared and not spend $50 just to manage their contacts, no offense to CL. Bottom line - the Blackberry does a lot of things in this area really well.

5. NO BB Messenger. I never used this but many do. They love it. It's a different technology.

wil318466

Reaction score
I was at the Verizon store yesterday and I saw a guy talking to the rep about getting a Droid.. and he was explaining he had to constantly take out the battery to reset it.... and I thought of these forums and how people say the storm (he had a storm) neede a daily battery pull. After I just typed all that.. I realized I don't kno why I'm posting this. But, it was kind of funny to me.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is why it's better not to state conclusions with such conviction without looking at the whole....

IMO your points are all well taken. I've never used a BB on a regular basis but I have a number of colleagues who swear by them and I can see why.

But I think you have to take into consideration that the BlackBerries were (for the most part) designed to support a very particular user experience: the management of corporate communications. As such, both the hardware and software are optimized for that experience.

When I travel the moment the plane's wheels touch down it's amusing to watch the various business people grab their cell phones. I can tell from 20 feet away who is using a blackberry, regardless of the model. Both hands grasping the device, thumbs flying, intently perusing a tiny screen.

And that's not surprising. The BB is a great device for skimming through the 50 emails that arrived since you took off three hours ago. You can read them, respond to them, delete them, or return a call quickly to a contact who sent you an email. Everything about the BB is designed to support that behavior.

It's worth noting, though, that as RIM has attempted to crack the broader consumer market for smartphones they've been less successful in designing devices that maintain that optimal BB experience and expanding to additional functionality. That, too, is not surprising.

One of my crackberry addicted colleagues returned his new Droid after two weeks. I don't blame him. For the uses he has for a phone, he really couldn't top the blackberry. Of course, he also carries a GPS when he rents a car, an iPod to listen to music, and a netbook for surfing the internet. Different strokes.

Last edited:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
...Of course, he also carries a GPS when he rents a car, an iPod to listen to music, and a netbook for surfing the internet. Different strokes.

Reminds me more of the crystal knowledge story I read about where in this case, an older person learns everything they subconsciously feel they need to know, and that everything else is simply run off. You have the essentials to survive, and are therefor reluctant to change with the times. What you know "crystallizes" and everything else simply bounces off basically.

My boss (IT Manager) has pretty much given up his BB Curve as well in favor of an Android phone. He chuckled when he received an email via Outlook, then the Android phone, then the BB. Think he has a Samsung Moment but I'm not sure...

Last edited:

slinky

Reaction score
It's worth noting, though, that as RIM has attempted to crack the broader consumer market for smartphones they've been less successful in designing devices that maintain that optimal BB experience and expanding to additional functionality. That, too, is not surprising.

One of my crackberry addicted colleagues returned his new Droid after two weeks. I don't blame him. For the uses he has for a phone, he really couldn't top the blackberry. Of course, he also carries a GPS when he rents a car, an iPod to listen to music, and a netbook for surfing the internet. Different strokes.
RIM made a HUGE mistake. They had iPhone envy. They had he ability to capture the consumer/prosumer market by create the Treo (now Pre) replacement with the Dakota, which is many years too late. The OS hasn't changed much and is still built for a trackball experience. The storm needs a completely different OS but what resulted was only gradual, which fits a Dakota but still not the Storm 2, which really has no place and should not even be called a "Blackberry" for the purpose of this conversation. :D I got a Droid ONLY because of the hardware keyboard. IMHO there is no substitute for professional emailing. After a really rocky start, the keyboard got much more usable but, as I said, the BB series (bold, curve) are the most efficient and fully featured PIM around and reliability comparisons to a Droid are a total joke.

I've missed a few phone calls because (a) the Droid didn't pick up fast enough when something else had it engaged, (b) my hands were a little greasy and I didn't complete that INANE swiping that you have to do ALL THE WAY across the screen. The Blackberry is art in comparison - in the years I owned one that hardware button will take that call. What a concept. :) And the OS is built to be protected and for reliability. I have NO idea why so many of you are pulling batteries which means (a) you are talking about a Storm or (b) you have a defective device or (c) there might have been some app, rare as it may be, which will take down your phone.

I'm no Blackberry lover. After having an amazing Treo, I reluctantly got used to it and appreciate it for what it is. But by no means is a Droid a full equivalent. Each is a tool that works best for something. IMHO:

iPhone: Idiot proof but inefficient. For those people who want to have limited or no desire to do much more than great music/video, phone and have modest PIM requirements. Easy to use, made to work with your sunk investment in Apple crap, lots of swiping to get things done. If you aren't always connected to the net you will lose your mind. Great apps but very limited in what they do. For those who can't read a manual it's great. But if you want to do more, it's horrible. Extremely poor email. Need to rely on Apple produced items is HORRIBLE if you find their products limiting, e.g. email, calendar, etc. They will eventually get them improved but the market is always another step ahead.

Blackberry: Ultimate business tool for the power emailer. Until they come out with the Dakota, strictly for someone who does tons of email, limited/occasional web browsing, needs power efficiency and decent messenger for constant live contact between other BB owners, e.g. at work. Futzing-free dialing as opposed to the Droid (just dial on the keypad and you're in the call... it's a blur compared to the Droid.) By far best with battery. Works well with attachments, doc management, excellent when offline. Modest to very good mutimedia. Limited apps, very good but expensive. By far best with business tools and apps. Dakota will be one of the hottest selling phones if it has a better screen than the 320 x320. I think people will stand for a little wider but thin.

Droid: Best all around device. Keyboard takes getting used to but by far better than virtual keyboard devices. Big screen makes browsing and reading viewing incredible. Extremely poor multimedia. If you're looking for a device to strap to your arm, this is NOT the device to get. It's not there yet. Not nearly as reliable as others but "sufficient." Tons of apps, ranging from terrible to mostly average and some above average. Still young API and apps are cheap. Has benefit of "Google phone" if you've decided to run your entire life around Google. Virtual Keyboard devices, IMHO, make for more expandable iPhone replacements. Totally useless for me but others who don't email as much will find it more redeeming. Unless rooted, sucks the battery like our government officials on public funds. I get only a few hours of use with brightness at low settings. Not for people who cannot charge often.

Pre: Won't be around in 2011. Too bad. Should have been the best phone if it came out earlier and Palm didn't think it could pull the "incremental release" shtick it always does and just put out a great product each time.

Windows Mobile: Hard to say. Not enough info yet but they better release something good... and soon. Was very popular for people who used Exchange at work.

Symbian: N/A in the US.

Just IMHO.

Last edited:

Hemi 7

Reaction score
I stood in line for the Storm 2.5 hrs back in Nov when it came out I was on my 6th one ... had to remove and replace battery avg 15 times a day what a pc of garbage. The internet forget about it slow as molasses yesterday the push screen went out..... I got 2 Droids today 1 for me and 1 for my son Ive only touched the surface Im sold

Last edited:

c0Ld

Reaction score
They are completely different tools.

BLACKBERRY

1. BB is the king of email. Even with the hardware keyboard, the Tour is the best device if you do a lot of email.

Sure, if you love trusting a third party server to download your private messages. There is virtually no difference in the emailing abilities of the two phones, except that the Droid tends to have more features and still remain more stable (see below).

2. Stable OS. Most things just don't crash. It's rock stable.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No. I've owned three blackberries, and every single one of them crashed at least every other day even using the latest firmwares. "Battery pulling" is a required art when using a blackberry, whereas I've never done so on my droid to date. Saying the blackberry is stable is like saying minivans are sporty and fast vehicles.

3. I miss the hardware answer and end call buttons. It's wonderful to just know you'll be able to answer and end calls reliably.

Uh, is something unreliable about touchscreens? I'm lost. I have yet to have a touchscreen fail, even on the worthless blackberry storm. I -HAVE- had dirt and dust and such build up under a hardware key and make it difficult or impossible to press, though.

4. Great Outlook compatibility.

I thought the world had moved away from awful software by now. There's nothing tying you to outlook, there are endless alternatives that aren't pieces of garbage.

3. Battery life is atrocious.

Every smartphone's battery life is atrocious on a sliding scale comparable to their hardware.

4. Operating system is flaky and add-on applications means many crashes per day.

Again, I'll be sure to report the first time I'm forced to battery pull my droid. My counter's still at zero with both stock roms and third party roms overclocked up to 1.25ghz.

6. Good/bad: Many great apps, much larger and much cheaper than Blackberry, some still very immature in stage, e.g. Facebook.

Blackberry's facebook application is absolutely worthless, at least android's is usable.

Comparing ANY android device to even the top of the line blackberries is like comparing a golf cart to a Bugatti Veyron.

nmos

Reaction score
FWIW my Droid seems to forward email attachments just fine. I also have yet to pull the battery except to grab a fresh one out of the charger.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I moved from a Blackberry Tour to the Droid, which I like very much. What do other former BB users think about the Droid?

NEVER liked my Blackberries. Sure, it was great for READING email, but I'd generally respond from my computer if I could. Swype on Droid ROCK!!

Also, last BB I had did not get a great reception, and I was on VZW. Dropped calls and inaudible frequently at home.

I've got my gmail calendar and corp calendar showing in 1 widget - works great - and I never even bothered trying to do that with BB.

Email isn't quite as great, but very close.

My BB, to be quite honest, was a nuisance. Droid is a fun, time-wasting toy but also very productive and functional for me.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have both. The Tour is my work phone. I CHOSE the Droid as my personal one and absolutely love it.
:D:D

That's just it. I got tired of carrying two phones. I had to invest some time to get the Droid set-up for Exchange, but now I just laugh at people who have to carry 2 or 3 phones. Just plain stupid.