Droid vs. Blackberry

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by TheFloridaDude, Mar 28, 2010.

1. TheFloridaDude

TheFloridaDude New Member

I moved from a Blackberry Tour to the Droid, which I like very much. What do other former BB users think about the Droid?
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Came from the Tour as well. No comparison. The Droid and Android is a whole other experience.

Best purchase I've ever made. I'm done with RIM and BB.

I see you are rather new and I may have missed your intro thread.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the forums
  3. jinxygrrl

jinxygrrl New Member

I have both. The Tour is my work phone. I CHOSE the Droid as my personal one and absolutely love it.
    :D:D
  4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Welcome :)

I came from BB and RIM also...BB Storm to be exact. And as far as I can tell, Blackberries do not even come close to the same ballpark as the Droid. NO WHERE NEAR.
  5. bowhuntr09

bowhuntr09 New Member

I have both as well, Curve is work....Droid is mine! :icon_ banana:
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Longtime BB user here....No Comparison IMHO.
  7. Darthbs

Darthbs New Member

I had a storm and switched to droid, the only use the storm has now is a backup mp3 player. All I need now is some flash support!
  8. CatsTide

CatsTide New Member

i came from a storm(still have 2) and loved it...but it doesn't compare to android.
  9. slinky

slinky New Member

They are completely different tools.

BLACKBERRY

1. BB is the king of email. Even with the hardware keyboard, the Tour is the best device if you do a lot of email.

2. Stable OS. Most things just don't crash. It's rock stable.

3. I miss the hardware answer and end call buttons. It's wonderful to just know you'll be able to answer and end calls reliably.

4. Great Outlook compatibility.

DROID

1. If you do a ton of web surfing, the current Tour doesn't hold a candle. Next version with touch screen will be better.

2. Reading documents is wonderful - very high resolution screen, horizontal mode makes viewing PDFs great, even at small sizes.

3. Battery life is atrocious.

4. Operating system is flaky and add-on applications means many crashes per day.

5. Google sync and voice - great. Outlook compatibility - ridiculous, absurdly bad.

6. Good/bad: Many great apps, much larger and much cheaper than Blackberry, some still very immature in stage, e.g. Facebook.

Bottom line: They both get the job done. Blackberry is still the premiere business and power emailing tool. But if you do a good amount of web browsing (I do for work) and coupled with all the apps, it's a great experience if you can deal with the crashing and incompatibility.
  10. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

This is your opinion....My Droid trumps any BB I owned...
  11. CatsTide

CatsTide New Member

+1...talking about crashes,he obviously didn't own a storm
  12. slinky

slinky New Member

How so? What's the criteria? Long jump? Time in the 40 yard dash?
  13. Warweasel

Warweasel New Member

The only reason that I still have a BB is that I'm sitting in Iraq, and with the dearth of internet connectivity here (except at work), it's my lifeline to the outside world. But as soon as I get home, it, and AT&T are getting kicked to the curb. My Droid is at home, ready and waiting.
  14. slinky

slinky New Member

Be safe...
  15. sbuikema

sbuikema New Member

I myself am new to the moto droid. I have had blackberries for yrs, IMHO the droid out performs the bb in web surfing, and messageing . I am glad i switched to the droid, but do miss a few things my bb had.
  16. Hermes

Hermes Member

I came from a BB Storm. Web browsing is 2-3 times faster on the Droid. The Storm locked up frequently, had memory leaks and required frequent battery pulls. For now, I just wish the Droid could forward email attachments...
  17. welterbf123

welterbf123 New Member

I was a long time BB man. I came from BB Storm. The Blackberry and the Droid are not even in the same ballpark. The Droid is way ahead of the Blackberry! For my money, it's Droid all the way!
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  18. bennyj

bennyj New Member

I also came from the bb storm. When I first got my Droid I felt a little sad about putting my storm into the drawer.......for about a day! Have not even pulled it out since.
  19. claustin

claustin New Member

I came from the Storm1, and before that, an iPhone, and BB is a distant 3rd to both in my opinion, in every facet. Now this is from a consumer standpoint, and I know BB has it's pluses with security and business, but from a consumer standpoint I can't see how anybody can say it is the king of email, or even communication in general anymore.

The BB won't sync with outlook outside of BES, and don't even start with that owa crap. My iPhone and my BB both sync with my company's outlook server without having to pay for any extra services or sync apps. And that includes my contacts and calendars. Viewing emails on the Storm was horrible. Even if I had it set to automatically download images, it never did. I actually think that the iPhone wins in email experience (with the exception of currently not having a unified inbox), with Android OS a close second (have to manually show images also. It should be a setting to automatically download them imo), and BB a distant third.

I'm not getting into hardware vs. software keyboard because it is a totally subjective preference, but I felt the Storm's clickscreen was atrocious for typing, although it was nice at preventing accidental clicks. RIM needs an option to not use it for typing.

I think the only reason the BB has better battery life is because you simply don't do anything on it for any extended period of time, because it's so agonizing to use. I think iPhone wins at user experience of its OS, Android draws even due to multitasking and openness and takes the lead on carrier coverage and reliability, and they both leave BB in the dust until RIM completely revamps their OS. I think RIM has become complacent, just sitting back living off of their entrenched position in the corporate world. The BB OS is so archaic that it's an absolute pain to use. Sure it's capable, but the user experience is abysmal.
  20. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

I think one's experience with BB devices depends to some extent on the support provided by a corporate IT department. I certainly prefer my Droid, but if I were someone who needs instantaneous notification of email, messages, and calendaring in a corporate environment itself is tied to the RIM infrastructure, I'd have a different experience.

Yes, one can approximate the BlackBerry experience if one's IT department is willing to cooperate, but the overall proprietary design of the RIM infrastructure, its lighter footprint in terms of moving information, and built-in security features are the reasons that that BlackBerries still rank as the #1 brand of smartphones.

The Droid is a far better platform for a multi-functional device but it has a long long way to go to be a realistic competitor in a large corporate environment.
Search tags for this page
blackberry curve vs droid
blackberry vs droid history

blackberry vs droid verizon

droid vs blackberry verizon

www.googlecorpmail