Droid & Verizon

Pedzilla

Reaction score
Alrighty, I have a big question.

I've been running some comparisons lately, between the iPhone and Droid, and concluded that I was going to buy a Droid. Now, the thing is, I'm from Portugal, and I'll go to NY to spend the New Year. Since the phone is alot cheaper in the US, I decided I'd buy my Droid over there (seeing as we don't even have Droid in here yet).

My question: Once I buy the phone, will I be able to stick in my Vodafone SIM and work it out, when I get back to Portugal, or will I have to find a miraculous way to jailbreak it? I've browsed around and so far there are no apparent ways of jailbreaking it o.o

I really like the Droid, but if I can't do anything about jailbreaking it, I'll have to go with the iPhone. So, clear out these doubts I have, please ;o

Stigy

Reaction score
Unfortunately the answer is a big no.

The DROID is a CDMA phone (and not a world phone at that) meaning it has no SIM card slot at all. You'd have to go with the iPhone, which has a SIM card slot for your Vodafone SIM card.

OR go with the GSM version of the DROID, called the Milestone.

Sorry.

Last edited:

TigerDirect

Reaction score
You will have to purchase the GSM version of the Droid, called the Milestone. The Droid uses CDMA and therefore does not even have a SIM card slot. So, you could use it in America, but there is absolutely no way it will work on a non-CDMA network.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Alrighty, I have a big question.

I've been running some comparisons lately, between the iPhone and Droid, and concluded that I was going to buy a Droid. Now, the thing is, I'm from Portugal, and I'll go to NY to spend the New Year. Since the phone is alot cheaper in the US, I decided I'd buy my Droid over there (seeing as we don't even have Droid in here yet).

My question: Once I buy the phone, will I be able to stick in my Vodafone SIM and work it out, when I get back to Portugal, or will I have to find a miraculous way to jailbreak it? I've browsed around and so far there are no apparent ways of jailbreaking it o.o

I really like the Droid, but if I can't do anything about jailbreaking it, I'll have to go with the iPhone. So, clear out these doubts I have, please ;o

Given you are in Portugal, and you want to use Vodaphone, you need to get a Droid Milestone, not the Motorola Droid. The Motorola Droid is a CDMA based Droid Phone, whereas the Droid Milestone is the GSM based Droid Phone.

keiichi25

Reaction score
You will have to purchase the GSM version of the Droid, called the Milestone. The Droid uses CDMA and therefore does not even have a SIM card slot. So, you could use it in America, but there is absolutely no way it will work on a non-CDMA network.

Actually, there is a slight chance that it will work in the US, given that Vodophone was bought out by Verizon and Verizon does have GSM based phones like the Blackberry Storm (1 and 2), Blackberry 8830 World Edition and a Samsung Flipphone which will use the Vodophone SIM card. I would not put it past Vodophone users being able to use it while in the US as well.

Just US Motorola Droid users will not be able to use their Droid outside the US as it is exclusively setup with CDMA, no World GSM support. The Motorola Droid Milestone, on the other hand, should be theorhetically usable both here and in the GSM enabled countries.

OP
P

Pedzilla

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

And, is the Milestone the same as the Motorola Droid? I mean, does is have the same functionalities and everything that makes the Droid, well, the Droid?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

And, is the Milestone the same as the Motorola Droid? I mean, does is have the same functionalities and everything that makes the Droid, well, the Droid?

Yes it is the GSm version of the Droid with pinch to zoom and multi touch supported natively :).

Prodigy4

Reaction score
oh heres a good question! can the milestone work with other networks then? cuz i work for radioshack, and we can get like $15 unlimited plans for at&t and at first i wanted an iphone (don't kill me!!) but i want the droid, or milestone

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
oh heres a good question! can the milestone work with other networks then? cuz i work for radioshack, and we can get like $15 unlimited plans for at&t and at first i wanted an phone (don't kill me!!) but i want the droid, or milestone

I'm not sure of the bands that ATT uses or the ones in the milestone, but theoretically yes. An unlocked Milestone "could" work on a GSM band IF the frequencies are the same

OP
P

Pedzilla

Reaction score
EDIT: Nevermind my dumb question. I answered it myself after reading some stuff myself.
Thanks for all the help given, I appreciate it ^^