Droid User: Male or Female?

vzwmandroid

Reaction score
vzw-MAN-droid

But my wife has the Droid Eris. She's says that the Eris is more feminine out of both droids

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonb

Reaction score
To me it looks and feels like a mans phone.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
My brother, the iphone lover, told me that this was a man's phone and that I may find it to be too masculine in appearance for me. :icon_eek:

I still don't know that that was supposed to mean.

And he KNOWS me. I don't buy tolls based on appearance. The car is a tool. The phone is a tool.

I will buy clothes and awesome shoes based on appearance, sure, but not TOOLS.

And I think the Droid looks just fine!

* to be fair to my misguided bro, he did say that I would have no idea what I would use a smartphone for until I owned one. He was absolutely correct there.

shademar

Reaction score
I seem to be a bit of an outlier, but count me in as a female who loves the aesthetics of the phone (both intrinsically and because it doesn't look like every single other dang phone in existence.)

Slighter

Reaction score
Do i dare mention the brother and tool in the sentence?

"same" sentence

Last edited by a moderator:

Deuel

Reaction score
I'm a guy, but this may be more a poll of who is compelled to sign up on a site that supports our obessions, rather than who chooses a Droid?? Many posters have not yet bought the phone. There must be a ton of ladies that feel no need to come here?

cyber3d

Reaction score
I requested this poll because I am doing a marketing survey for product development. I hope as many as possible will take part in this poll.

shademar

Reaction score
I'd be pretty curious to see what the gender distribution looks like in relation to other smartphones given the tone of the advertising and the general consensus that there is something masculine about the design. Plus, the co-release with the eris which almost seemed designed to deliberately highlight what was often portrayed as a male/female style disparity. (Google "Eris" if you don't think that link is clear :) )

And yeah, the selection bias in polling an online forum vs the general population has the potential to skew things like crazy. But...it is what it is.

(<--outlier)

lisanne53

Reaction score
Very interesting and I applaud the search for elucidation regarding gender, let alone all the rest. Myself (female), I joined this forum to learn about this awesome new smartphone. My first one (I was saving myself...lol). I have found so many answers to questions, some I never knew I had until I read about what others were experiencing.

I don't watch advertising so I don't know about that (I only DVR and FF through commercials). But, I guess a newspaper ad caught my attention about a month ago alerting me to a smart phone that I thought I might be able to actually use without throwing it against the wall (ahem, Storm).

And, ya, I seem to be obsessed with droid, my late night reading of old fashioned books is suffering (but I've been learning from this forum how to upload my audio books...)

And, I like the general tone of this forum...sincere and helpful, a more inclusive overall experience. I am 56, female health care professional and my college kids are jealous of my droid! Ha! They can get one when they are paying their own bills. My husband is a luddite.

shademar

Reaction score
Very interesting and I applaud the search for elucidation regarding gender, let alone all the rest. Myself (female), I joined this forum to learn about this awesome new smartphone. My first one (I was saving myself...lol). I have found so many answers to questions, some I never knew I had until I read about what others were experiencing.

I don't watch advertising so I don't know about that (I only DVR and FF through commercials). But, I guess a newspaper ad caught my attention about a month ago alerting me to a smart phone that I thought I might be able to actually use without throwing it against the wall (ahem, Storm).

And, ya, I seem to be obsessed with droid, my late night reading of old fashioned books is suffering (but I've been learning from this forum how to upload my audio books...)

And, I like the general tone of this forum...sincere and helpful, a more inclusive overall experience. I am 56, female health care professional and my college kids are jealous of my droid! Ha! They can get one when they are paying their own bills. My husband is a luddite.

Excellent to hear your background! I'm a 30yo grad student studying neurosci and an all-around technophile...far more so than my husband, who makes up for it by being a hopeless geek in myriad other ways. (But I get to buy all the serious tech in the house!! :woot:) This is my first smartphone because I am cheap (ie living on a grad student stipend), but now that I have it, I couldn't imagine going back.

With respect to the forums: I'm still asking as many questions as I answer. Good luck with figuring everything out! :D

GadgetQueen

Reaction score
Femdroid

Definitely female. But this phone is for those who have to have the latest, greatest gadgets! :icon_ banana:

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
Do i dare mention the brother and tool in the sentence?

"same" sentence

Ha! He's not that bad, honestly. He's just young and is therefore sure that he's the smartest guy in the room. I seem to remember suffering that affliction myself at his age.

And because he is a creative techie, he's deeply immersed in AppleThink. But he does have a fair amount of respect for the Droid, too. His advice to me: "If you aren't going to get an iPhone, the only other smartphone worth looking at is the Droid." :)

jen_005

Reaction score
Ha, I figured us ladies would be outnumbered here, but this poll will only show the ratio of men to women who come to this site for guidance. I'm guessing that men are more likely to spend their time and energy looking up and sharing ways to enhance and modify their electronics.

I'm 26 and bought this phone so that I could be completely accessible at all times, and also have a cooler gadget than all my iPhone-toting friends. It's my first smart phone, and I've never done so much research after I've purchased any other phone! This forum is definitely a necessity for me.

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
Ha, I figured us ladies would be outnumbered here, but this poll will only show the ratio of men to women who come to this site for guidance. I'm guessing that men are more likely to spend their time and energy looking up and sharing ways to enhance and modify their electronics.

I'm 26 and bought this phone so that I could be completely accessible at all times, and also have a cooler gadget than all my iPhone-toting friends. It's my first smart phone, and I've never done so much research after I've purchased any other phone! This forum is definitely a necessity for me.

Good point, especially considering that an app developer is trying to gauge the usage ratios, and polls here are probably more reflective of forum users than Droid users.

Perhaps the more pertinent question for an app manager "is how are we women finding our Droid information"?