DROID Update turned phone into brick

llorracjon

Reaction score
I received notice on my phone thsi morning to update. Checked Verizon web page and started the install. All okay and appeared to complete. However, last half hour the phone keeps rebooting itself.

"DROID" screen notice, red stop light, blank ... repeat cycle again.

Any feedback?

RoLa

Reaction score
You are in luck.(maybe) I don't have to work tomorrow and this would def. be a sucky first post:icon_ cry:No offense....Just trying to lighten the situation...Anyway, if you stay by your computer and don't leave me hangin (i don't want to sit here for 20 minutes waiting for you to reply while you are gone making yourself a snack:))I'll try and walk you through this...I take it you are not rooted, seeing how you tried to update OTA...Can you boot into your recovery? hold volume up and the camera button ...

Last edited:
OP
L

llorracjon

Reaction score
not sure what you are suggesting I do next

pressing the volume up button and pressing the camera button same time..... no effect.

Last edited:
OP
L

llorracjon

Reaction score
power button non-responding, no effect.
I pulled the battery, re-inserted, pressed power button on,
---- saw the Motorola batwing on screen, then
held the volume-up button and the camera button same time
---- not get past the same original symptom

RoLa

Reaction score
pressed power button on
Don't do this, Pull the battery again if that is the only way to turn it off. Once it is off hold the camera and volume button until you see the recovery image should look something like this...(image from http://rootyourdroid.info/guides/unroot-back-to-stock/)
root_9.png

Last edited:
OP
L

llorracjon

Reaction score
With power off (battery re-inserted) ... press camera and volume-up same time.....
---- no response 20 seconds

OP
L

llorracjon

Reaction score
Different attempt... after pull/reinsert battery
press power on, volume up, camera buttons same time
Screen says

BootLoader
2C.6C

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable....

I don't have my data cable with me.... on the road in a hotel. Ouch.

frayed

Reaction score
quick interjection you need to start holding camra and volume up before you put the battery in / power the phone up

RoLa

Reaction score
Thank You frayed...I was going to have the OP put the 2.1 update.zip on the root of the sdcard wipe data/cache and manually push the update.....or flash the sbf file....http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/24707-unroot-unbrick-your-phone-using-sbf.html?highlight=file.. without the cable it is useless. Bootloader screen and recovery console are two different things...

EDIT: You say you do not have the cable? How was the battery life before all of this? may want to throw it on a car charger

Last edited:
OP
L

llorracjon

Reaction score
While I held the volume button & camera button, I then inserted the battery.
--- Immediately came up to show the "Bootloader" screen.

My battery was full when I started... had phone plugged into wall charger 10pm-midnight and registered full-battery, unplugged and I made a call. I received the update message shortley afterward.

I purchased a Verizon ac wall charger with longer cord. I did not bring with me the USB cable that comes with the phone.

JCo352

Reaction score
If I could interject, isn't recovery X and power button, then Volume up and camera. Not that it matters now.

RoLa

Reaction score
Do you by any chance have a sdcard reader that you could plug up to your laptop? We need access to your sdcard.

OP
L

llorracjon

Reaction score
I have a SD reader on laptop.....
However, another flaw on my part, I did not bring with me an adapter to hold the micro-SD card so can put it into my laptop