Droid update this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cnote187

Reaction score
God, nobody has any patience anymore. The earliest date mentioned for an update was the 22nd, so why does anyone expect anything before then? Especially a "pre-update" update that doesn't really do anything for the day-to-day use of the phone?

The way everyone is anxious for an update, you'd think we were talking about the BlackBerry Storm here.
What is wrong with anticipating something? I see no problem with wanting something that others who have the same device have already gotten.

The difference between this situation and the storm is that other droid users have already received the update. the sooner every user gets this update more likely that 2.1 will then begin to trickle down to our handsets.

I would think that Motorola loves the anticipation its users are showing. So why is it that other users seem so against it?

It's not that anyone is against being enthusiastic. But when people get too impatient, sometimes things tend to be released before they are ready. For the most part 2.0.1 is stable, works well, and does what it is designed to.

2.1 will be more of the same, with some enhancements. But, I would much rather enjoy my device the way it is for now, and enjoy 2.1 when it is READY, not on an arbitrary date that was never officially announced.

The BlackBerry Storm was rushed out to meet a deadline, and it showed. It took 6 months to get a somewhat usable OS on the device that didn't lag constantly. On the other hand, assuming that we DO see 2.1 before the end of the month, that means we've seen 2 updates so far, only a couple of months into the device existing.

It's not that I am not enthusiastic for a new OS, however, I actually have a device that I enjoy using AS IS, and don't feel the NEED for a new OS to make it work right. And thus, I believe it should come out when it is ready for release, and not before.

And since the "update" in question doesn't actually DO anything aside from make the Droid 2.1 ready, it's nothing to be excited about. As long as you receive it before the 2.1 push starts.
Saying that you hope the 2.1 comes out only when its ready is a mute point because it will only come out when it's ready to be distributed to the masses regardless of what anybody wants. People showing impatiens will not make Motorola rush the update to us.

My point is impatiens doesn't hurt the process of anything. I say let people be enthusiastic lets not make them feel like babies just because they anticipate something that is going to make an already great phone better.

Regardless of what you and I say it's not going to stop people from posting about it until it happens so you might as well learn to live with it

The reason people want the pre update to come is because the feel that once the pre update is finished being distributed the inevitability of 2.1 coming is the next step. It has nothing to do with the functionality of the pre update, people just want it

garyiden

Reaction score
What is wrong with anticipating something? I see no problem with wanting something that others who have the same device have already gotten.

The difference between this situation and the storm is that other droid users have already received the update. the sooner every user gets this update more likely that 2.1 will then begin to trickle down to our handsets.

I would think that Motorola loves the anticipation its users are showing. So why is it that other users seem so against it?

It's not that anyone is against being enthusiastic. But when people get too impatient, sometimes things tend to be released before they are ready. For the most part 2.0.1 is stable, works well, and does what it is designed to.

2.1 will be more of the same, with some enhancements. But, I would much rather enjoy my device the way it is for now, and enjoy 2.1 when it is READY, not on an arbitrary date that was never officially announced.

The BlackBerry Storm was rushed out to meet a deadline, and it showed. It took 6 months to get a somewhat usable OS on the device that didn't lag constantly. On the other hand, assuming that we DO see 2.1 before the end of the month, that means we've seen 2 updates so far, only a couple of months into the device existing.

It's not that I am not enthusiastic for a new OS, however, I actually have a device that I enjoy using AS IS, and don't feel the NEED for a new OS to make it work right. And thus, I believe it should come out when it is ready for release, and not before.

And since the "update" in question doesn't actually DO anything aside from make the Droid 2.1 ready, it's nothing to be excited about. As long as you receive it before the 2.1 push starts.
Saying that you hope the 2.1 comes out only when its ready is a mute point because it will only come out when it's ready to be distributed to the masses regardless of what anybody wants. People showing impatiens will not make Motorola rush the update to us.

My point is impatiens doesn't hurt the process of anything. I say let people be enthusiastic lets not make them feel like babies just because they anticipate something that is going to make an already great phone better.

Regardless of what you and I say it's not going to stop people from posting about it until it happens so you might as well learn to live with it

The reason people want the pre update to come is because the feel that once the pre update is finished being distributed the inevitability of 2.1 coming is the next step. It has nothing to do with the functionality of the pre update, people just want it

I hate when people use "mute" when they really mean MOOT! there, i said it :)

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
what exactly does "moot" mean? sorry if this is a dumb question, but i've never honestly heard it used before...

garyiden

Reaction score
what exactly does "moot" mean? sorry if this is a dumb question, but i've never honestly heard it used before...

It mean's "of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic."

-KB :reddroid:

Another explanation of the term "mute" often used when "moot" is what is meant. see the difference? I know I'm being "picky" with this, but it's a real sore point with me. People using "mute" when they really mean "MOOT" sue me!

g

MUTE:

–adjective 1. silent; refraining from speech or utterance. 2. not emitting or having sound of any kind. 3. incapable of speech; dumb.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

It mean's "of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic."

-KB :reddroid:

Another explanation of the term "mute" often used when "moot" is what is meant. see the difference? I know I'm being "picky" with this, but it's a real sore point with me. People using "mute" when they really mean "MOOT" sue me!

g

MUTE:

–adjective 1. silent; refraining from speech or utterance. 2. not emitting or having
sound of any kind. 3. incapable of speech; dumb.

Okay, I know what "mute" means...I'm not that stupid...but thank you KB for clearing that up for me...

windstrings

Reaction score
I can tell we are all getting bored.... if we can ever get this update going, this whole business about a moot point will be moot!.... or is that muted?... or maybe mooted? :)

VitsDroid

Reaction score
Yeah my Storm had it in the options but they never used it, I don't think it even works LOL

it worked when i had my bb tour.

it would be cool if they came out with the update and let us download it on our computer and load it, hence not as much drain on the network. that way everyone that wants it right away can get without the roll-out period and randomness. while peeps that dont care can get their over the air update later.

the bb desktop manager is the only thing i miss about blackberry because it allowed me to get the update right away, no roll-out.

then again with blackberry you lived for the updates, android not so much cause it works and it works well, but would like some of the bonus eye candy of 2.1:icon_eek:

Griffin

Reaction score
I hope we get this on Friday. But even more than that I really hope Motorola and even Google contiue to support this phone. IPhone is much more slick IMO but it has been out for years. I look forward to the day when I can show off my droid without lags, forced closes, camera taking crappy pictures five seconds after I push the button, and apps just straight up not working. I know that's part of being a Droid owner right now. I think it's unexcuseable but that is for another thread. With these updates I hope that this phone will continue to get better. Because I am not the kind that can run out and get the newest phone every time one comes out. I'll have this Droid until Jan 2012.

Why would they not support this phone? If they stopped many people who own this phone would probably never purchase another Moto cell phone or Google phone for fear of the same thing happening.
Just reading this thread you will see owners of other phones from reputable/big name companies who did not and do not get support. Is it really that hard to imagine? Sure we're getting all the love now. Our phone is the hottest thing on the market. Maybe edged out by Nexus One. But there is also talk of Droid 2 already. And Android phones will be popping up like weeds this year. I'm sure Google will continue to pump out Android updates. But will Motorola continue to put in the work and money into putting those updates on the Droid a year from now? I hope so.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
then again with blackberry you lived for the updates, android not so much cause it works and it works well, but would like some of the bonus eye candy of 2.1:icon_eek:
Yeah there was almost always something you were waiting to have fixed in a later version. Then you'd get the new version and it would be fixed :icon_ banana: but something else would be broken :icon_evil:. Vicious BB cycle. I'm glad that we are excited for our Android updates just because we want new goodies to look at and play with, NOT because we need them to make our phones work. lol

Griffin

Reaction score
I hope we get this on Friday. But even more than that I really hope Motorola and even Google contiue to support this phone. IPhone is much more slick IMO but it has been out for years. I look forward to the day when I can show off my droid without lags, forced closes, camera taking crappy pictures five seconds after I push the button, and apps just straight up not working. I know that's part of being a Droid owner right now. I think it's unexcuseable but that is for another thread. With these updates I hope that this phone will continue to get better. Because I am not the kind that can run out and get the newest phone every time one comes out. I'll have this Droid until Jan 2012.
If Google/Moto made an OS like apple then there probably wouldn't be force closes and whatnot. You wouldn't be able to change your virtual keyboard, replace your home app, use different media players, etc. With openness comes more room for issues. You have small bugs but can do so much more. Also, the iPhone hasn't been perfect. I still don't see how they JUST got the ability to send picture messages a few months ago, that blows my mind. Anyway yeah, thats another thread.

We have already received 1 update and another one is coming soon, how are you complaining or worried? 2 updates (and not because of super issues that NEEDED to be fixed, mostly adding features and tweaking looks) in less than 4 months sounds nice to me.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I understand and agree with what you are saying. If I wanted and iPhone I would have gotten an iPhone. But there is a fine line to be walked here. Do we want to be able to customize our phones and have apps that you can't get on iPhone without jailbreaking? Absolutely. But we also want a stable OS and a camera that works and no more forced closes and lags. Why is this a lot to ask for a $600 smart phone? Especially since they advertise some functions hard. Like the 5MP camera that is crap. The solution on here is drop down to 3MP. Or pay more money for a camera app made by some guy in his basement that will lag my phone and force close. That's not the customization I had in mind. I took a picture of my dog yesterday that would have turned out great except 5 seconds passed between the time I pushed the button and the time the picture was captured. The dog had gotten up and walked off by then. Only his tail was in the picture! This update can not come soon enough for me.

Sorry to be a party pooper but that update we already got didn't do crap for me. Realistically I don't know if 2.1 will fix many of these issues either. I can only imagine how frustrated the general consumer is with this phone. I love my droid but I am realistic about it's faults. I have been telling people if they are ready to spend time with their phone, they are tech savvy, and they are into love/hate relationships to get a Droid. If not, I've been telling them to get an Eris.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have no hate for my Droid, rarely get force closes, don't experience lag, think the camera is just fine, and would take a Droid over a jailbroken iPhone any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.