Droid update 2.1 news

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I understand the need for commercial releases to work 100% percent of the time, so perhaps I was being overly critical. However, I'm content with my device working 99.9% of the time (save me the "but what if it fails when you need it most" hypothetical situations), so as much as I would like to not have to root my phone, I would definitely root and get a custom 2.1 mod so I could have the 2.1 functionality that the Nexus One has. It's clear that the Droid's hardware is capable of supporting it quite well. But if it's not 100% perfect like Verizon/Motorola require it to be, and the most interesting and [arguably] most anticipated parts have to be removed, it should come as no surprise that myself and many others will take the leap and move to rooting and getting a custom 2.1 rom from the community's wonderful developers.

Anyways, I guess I would just be a little disappointed if four months after launch, the hardware of the Motorola Droid was considered to be insufficient when it comes to meeting the requirements of the flashier components of 2.1. The fact that technology grows at an insane rate is not lost upon me. It's just that four months is not much time at all (even in the technology world), and developers in the community have gotten most parts of 2.1 running nearly flawlessly on the Motorola Droid by themselves. If Motorola's/Google's devs can't one-up community Devs, then some pink slips and some job offers are in order.

My $0.02, fwiw.

I don't disagree with you :) though I will be Google has thier easons for what ever comes our way :icon_ devil:

I'd like to think so. But I'm always one to question a company, no matter what they say or do. If I wanted to blindly follow a company and regard everything they say and do as Gospel, I'd buy an iPhone. ;)

Now that's the funniest thing i've heard or read all day :icon_ banana:. I don't question the company foundation (we know Google is awesome). I question the people and thier common sense :icon_ devil:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
LOL, people getting all upset over yet another rumor.

This makes for great reading :D

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I don't question the company foundation (we know Google is awesome). I question the people and thier common sense :icon_ devil:

I agree, afterall if the second latest Android phone released and the current "King" of Android (based on units sold and polularity) can't run the current "stock" Android OS, something is very wrong in the "common sense" area.

Remember, Google has stated many times that the Nexus was running "bone stock Android 2,.1" If the current and newer versions of Android will only run poperly and completely on ONLY the very latest Android phone , what is the purpose or vision of the Android OS.

They need to leave out the fluffy cool stuff as a part of the stock OS if most of the latest phones can't run it. Then need to focus on fixing issues and functionaliy of Android OS for all or most Android phones.... and release these cool features that won't work on all Android phones as apps on the Market for the phones that can run them. OR, let the manufactures add these feautures as native apps on their phones that will run them...Just don't include them as being part of the "stock OS" if they won't work with most or all of the Android phones.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
People need to stop overreacting : )

This is NOT the final build.

To assume everything is going to be left off from somebody writing about a test build is crazy. Verizon does not have the final build yet.

So breathe : ) the article is meaningless right now.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
We don't even know that for sure. Stop giving them false hope. :p

crspang

Reaction score
People need to stop overreacting : )

This is NOT the final build.

To assume everything is going to be left off from somebody writing about a test build is crazy. Verizon does not have the final build yet.

So breathe : ) the article is meaningless right now.

Too true!

I'm really waiting on a meaningful article concerning Flash support!

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't place a lot of stock in the accuracy of what Engadget has to report concerning the Droid. They have not been a reliable or accurate source of information in the past.

swallman

Reaction score
I don't question the company foundation (we know Google is awesome). I question the people and thier common sense :icon_ devil:

I agree, afterall if the second latest Android phone released and the current "King" of Android (based on units sold and polularity) can't run the current "stock" Android OS, something is very wrong in the "common sense" area.

Remember, Google has stated many times that the Nexus was running "bone stock Android 2,.1" If the current and newer versions of Android will only run poperly and completely on ONLY the very latest Android phone , what is the purpose or vision of the Android OS.

They need to leave out the fluffy cool stuff as a part of the stock OS if most of the latest phones can't run it. Then need to focus on fixing issues and functionaliy of Android OS for all or most Android phones.... and release these cool features that won't work on all Android phones as apps on the Market for the phones that can run them. OR, let the manufactures add these feautures as native apps on their phones that will run them...Just don't include them as being part of the "stock OS" if they won't work with most or all of the Android phones.

I agree 100% on this. Personally I'd much rather see BUG FIXES vs. "visual enhancements". You can just scroll through the threads on the forum and see significant areas where the OS really needs work (phone dialing/dialer, BT integration, Exchange integration, Contact sorting, a better MT keyboard, etc.) Work on those issues first!

apastuszak

Reaction score
I don't put a lot of stock in this rumor. The big thing I would want out of 2.1 is the Gallery app. I already have the apk from the forums installed and it's far superior to the one that came with the Droid.

amb4582

Reaction score
I thought that those features that would be left out for the Droid 2.1 release were already in the APK for Android 2.1

Meaning, if they don't include those items listed, they would have to go through their APK and change them since the features would not be standard across the board for all 2.1 Android OS's

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
2.1 News.... it's just that... news, nothing official :)

I feel like News, by definition, is supposed to be true. Unless of course you get your news from Fox News haha

ROFLOL....I'm reading your post and before I even finished it I thought of that exact line.....

OK, no politics here we are just talking about the news. Let's get back on topic. ;)