Droid update 2.1 news

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by sin vicious, Feb 8, 2010.

1. sin vicious

sin vicious New Member

Motorola Droid's next update to be Android 2.1, includes multitouch browser -- Engadget

[​IMG] Cellphones, Mobile Software
    Motorola Droid's next update to be Android 2.1, includes multitouch browser

By Chris Ziegler [​IMG] posted Feb 8th 2010 9:05AM

[​IMG]We've just gotten the inside line on the next Droid update that's making the rounds through Verizon's testing department from one of our trusted sources, and overall, it looks like this should take users 95 percent of the way to curing pangs of Nexus One envy. Here's what we've got:
    • It's based on Android 2.1. The build currently being circulated is identified as 2.1 version 1, mirroring the update just pushed to the Nexus One last week.
    • Google Goggles is now pre-installed (no matter how unhelpful it may be).
    • The browser's now multitouch enabled, just like Google Maps 3.4. Huzzah! No Flash, but then again, we weren't really expecting that.
    • Interestingly, the home screen's still got the same look as 2.0.1, meaning it doesn't adopt the Nexus One's rotating 3D grid of app icons -- it's still got the pull-up drawer tab at the bottom.
    • No active wallpapers. Bummer!
    • The news and weather widgets introduced on the Nexus One are included. Maybe certain capabilities of 2.1 are going to be restricted to devices with minimum performance benchmarks?
    There's no word on timing, and for all our source knows, this build could still very well fail testing -- goodness knows it's happened with plenty of pre-production firmwares in Verizon's past. We'll keep our ear to the ground and you do the same.

2. 42o

42o New Member

Kind of bumed out about the no live wallpapers and the home screen part :frown:. But I guess that's more of a gimmick.

Multi touch in the web browser is awesome though
  3. unix.punkx

unix.punkx New Member

Good to hear at least something for someone other than a Verizon rep. I really hope 2.1 on the Droid doesn't make it look the same as 2.0.1 I really like the 3D zoom and little grid at the bottom. :D
  4. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I would have liked to see the launcher as well, no reason those bugs cant be worked out, it can run on the droid, maining still use to ported one for now.
  5. actrack03

actrack03 New Member

Was really hoping for animated wallpapers. Although not functional, they are a cool thing to show the Apple Fanboys. I guess I'm sticking to the Bugless Beast @ 950MHz
  6. mattygabe

mattygabe New Member

Wow, Google Goggles was pretty neat, albeit limited (at best... Most likely a useless attention-getter). Using voice search would be much easier unless you're surrounded by a pack of screaming monkeys.
  7. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

I'm sticking with sholes..... as they already have all that and more... lol damn what a waste when a few coders can come out with more features then verizon/motorola. lol

GO SHOLES!
  8. kaboyd

kaboyd New Member

according to that report it's just adding Maps 3.4 and a couple widgets? Whoop te do... I'm not impressed.
  9. unix.punkx

unix.punkx New Member

Maps 3.4 is actually already available in the market as an update that includes Multi-touch :D
  10. raven1911

raven1911 New Member

So what bugs are addressed in 2.1??
  11. INFERNO

INFERNO New Member

this is not an impressive update.........I'll stick with BB......
  12. blue rocket

blue rocket Official DF Vendor Premium Member

wtf, the biggest thing for me is the new look with cards. i sure hope this isnt accurate...or someone better do a better port job of the Launcher.
  13. crspang

crspang New Member

If that's all then I'm sticking with the overclocked ROMs.
  14. iPirate

iPirate New Member

I'm not sure this is all correct (Engadget = apple fanbois). If they kept the old app drawer tab at the bottom, how does the screen look? I'm not buying it and it actually sounds like a lot more work for Motorola to keep that from 2.01 than just update to 2.1. Same with the wallpapers, why not enable them?

A simple answer is the part of code this guy is testing is does not deal with graphic intense parts of Android, the drawer and wall papers are graphics intense and could be being implemented else where and then thrown all together in the end. Or Engadget is just bull****ting to attempt to piss Droid users off.

:)
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  15. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

So I guess the gallery isn't included. Wonder if it is gonna get the 5 screens or keep the 3.
  16. Jokool_7777

Jokool_7777 New Member

The only reason I was looking forward to this update was for the Live Wallpaper function....oh well, I really dont care when it comes out now.I'll get it when I get it.
  17. sc4fpse

sc4fpse New Member

As with anything from Engadget, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

In the event that they're correct and there is no revised drawer and no live wallpapers, I'll just root and get a 2.1 rom. Problem solved. Didn't have to have to root, but if we get screwed like that, I won't hesitate for a moment.
  18. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Just in case this could be true (I personally doubt it) that we don't get LiveWallpapers or the 3D app drawer. We should start to hit up MotoMobile on twitter to let them know this would not be acceptable and would cause us to reconsider purchasing Moto's phones in the future.
  19. JFDroid

JFDroid New Member

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to trust Boygeniusreport more than Engadget when it comes to Android/Google stuff. They are a little too apple-ish for me, and while BGR's apple bias is also quite clearly shown in, well, everything they write, they tend to get better leaks from what I remember.

While I hate to complain when all we have is a rumor that is unsubstantiated (in that even if Engadget posts it, I still don't believe it 'til i see it), I will say that the Nexus One on Verizon later this spring is looking ever more appealing. Maybe our GPU + CPU combination isn't as powerful as we think, and maybe the Snapdragon is that fast.

I would tend to trust Google on what a phone can/can't do more than people on this forum. The Sholes guys are no doubt amazing - I've seen videos of their ROMs and they make it easy for most of us to root. Without them, I think we'd all be complaining a lot more. But, if Google & Motorola feel that the Droid can't handle live wallpapers and the new launcher without bogging down the phone too much to properly run other programs, then I have to sit here and say they are right.

I guess I'll stick with an overclocked custom ROM for now and if the 2.1 update for the Droid is what Engadget's source says it is, if it passes testing and all of that jazz, then at least we'll all get a good (or hopefully good?) multitouch browser in our ROMs that is made to run natively on the Droid and not ripped from the milestone/Nexus One.

In any situation, without live wallpapers and the new launcher, I can't say the Droid will be, for me, as good as the Nexus One. I'd prefer a thinner phone anyway - not that the Droid is fat necessarily, as even for a slider it's super thin - but something thinner yet wouldn't hurt. Plus, the physical keyboard is completely useless to me. I just HATE HTC made hardware. Their home/back/menu/search keys on the bottom of the screen are just... crap. Motorola's Droid's keys are so much easier to press and when you press the center of them, they respond. HTC's you have to press a little above where the button is, close to the screen, to make it work. Well, that's how it works on the Droid Eris anyway.

Maybe the only hope someone like me has of getting the perfect combination of top-of-the-line Google support & truly best-in-class hardware (where the Nexus One is > the Motorola Droid) is waiting for Motorola to announce more details, including a launch date and a price for their Google.com/phone phone they are making, since it was revealed the "next Nexus One" type phone will not be made by HTC but instead by Motorola. Maybe just don't put a physical keyboard on this next phone...
  20. hacku

hacku New Member

Hmmm... I don't know about the rest of you, but it sounded fishy to me where it said that it's making its rounds through "Verizon's testing department". What would the new update have to do with Verizon? It's a Motorola phone, and the update is from Motorola not Verizon.

You would think that if it's being tested it would have been done by Motorola and not Verizon. The only thing I could see Verizon needing to test would be the OTA download/install, but that's about it.

Also the part where they saying we are keeping the 2.0.1 app drawer. Other than the 5 home screens the 3D app drawer is probably the biggest visual change in 2.1, so I don't really see Motorola not giving us that.

I call B.S. on these so called "news".
Search tags for this page

droid update