1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

DROID Unresponsive to power button - unable to get out of standby

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by scarrz, Feb 18, 2010.

1. scarrz

scarrz New Member

This evening I had my droid on the table and noticed a flashing LED for a new email (k-9) and I picked it up hit the power button to get it out of standby and it would do nothing, the screen remained black and would not bring up my unlock trace pattern, etc. This is the second time in 3 days it has done this. I have not installed any new apps, only a couple updates and I'm at a loss as what to do. I have to do a battery pull each time because the phone does not respond to any keyboard commands, etc. It doesn't appear to be turning off because I doubt the LED notice would flash.

Anyone else had this problem?

This is my second Droid from Verizon my initial droid shut itself off on 3 separate occasions and I decided to take it back and swap it out for a new one since I was within my 30 day window, thinking I might have a lemon. Now my "second" droid appears to be doing the same thing. Help!!! :greendroid:
  2. PyroManiac

PyroManiac New Member

3. scarrz

scarrz New Member

I should have mentioned I can always get it out of standby after doing a battery pull but what concerns me is that its going into standby and becoming unresponsive. I'd really like to find out what is causing it.

4. PyroManiac

PyroManiac New Member

hermmm

Well that procedure I listed above should reset and hardware quarks...is your memory bogged down...did you download Advanced task killer to kill any unnecessary apps?
  5. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator

Have you tried running it without k-9? Maybe that's your issue.
  6. scarrz

scarrz New Member

I apologize does this remove all my settings, etc?

Now that you mention it, I do have advanced task killer installed but not running.

7. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

I wouldn't have any task killers installed on your Droid...one to many people have had some crazy problems out of task killers only to find the solution was to just simply uninstall the task killer
  8. scarrz

scarrz New Member

I never had k9 before on my previous Droid and it did the same thing. Plus if I don't use k9 then I'm stuck with the sh@#$ yahoo bugs ex. Thousands of sent messages and constant new email notifications when there is no new email. Basically k9 is the only way I can consistently use yahoo.

9. PyroManiac

PyroManiac New Member

Scarz...

That wont remove any settings at all, just reset the hardware...it was a trick we all did the with early voyagers which had the same issues.
  10. scarrz

scarrz New Member

Thanks I will uninstall. That is the one app that I did have on both droids. I really hope its that simple and not something more. I do love the Droid.

11. PyroManiac

PyroManiac New Member

hmmm...

it would really suprize me if this solves the issue, as I personally have had no problems with this. be sure to let me know what solves it.

12. bhawks

bhawks New Member

I have been having this problem also. Just happened today when I was walking back from class and tried to take it out of sleep and no response. This has happened multiple times and the only way out is a battery pull
  13. masterxchief

masterxchief New Member

Its happened to me twice while getting a phone call. The phone will just keep vibrating nonstop even after the call should have gone to voicemail but the screen wont turn on. I had to pull the battery both times.
  14. PyroManiac

PyroManiac New Member

I am for once stumpted on this once...anyone else?
  15. Secretp755

Secretp755 New Member

I've run into the same issue, more or less, for the first time in the 3+ weeks I've owned the phone. This never happened up to this point, then I noticed earlier this evening that the phone shut itself down and would not turn on via holding power button down, etc. - a "ghost shut down", if you will. The only way to remedy this was a battery pull. Then, about three hours later (20 minutes ago or so), I noticed the phone was off, again - same situation, tried plugging into charger this time - would not charge - had to fix again with battery pull. Should I be concerned? I am four days from my 30 days since purchase, so I'm not sure whether or not I should bring it back for a replacement...
  16. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

Can't remember if my phone's shutdown, but I think it has. I've experienced this same issue as well though. As stated, a battery pull fixes the issue, but I've had my Droid since the last week of November and only encountered this issue a few times in the last 2-3 weeks...
  17. kdubbs117

kdubbs117 New Member

Same problem, kinda

I have the same problem in terms of the screen not being responsive. However, for me it does not happen at random times, it only happens when a syncing problem occurs and when the sd runs into some problems while connected to my computer.
  18. scarrz

scarrz New Member

Well it just happened again, this time it totally shut off, no response when hitting the power button. This is the 3rd time since Wednesday 2/17. I have had the thing working fine for the past 2.5 weeks and no problems but for some reason this week its doing this consistently.

I removed Advanced Task Killer last nite and today at approx. 3-5pm it shut itself off, so obviously ATK is not the culprit. This is getting rather annoying to have to do a battery pull every time, not to mention my confidence in the droid is losing faith.
  19. scarrz

scarrz New Member

Does anyone else use SCREEBL that is currently having the issues of random shutoffs, etc? I know SCREEBL has released an update fairly recently (possibly in the past week or so??) This is the only thing I have running constantly and like I said the phone has been working fine for the past 2.5 weeks or more. Just a shot in the dark...
  20. Murz

Murz New Member

Happend to my Droid about 3-4 times in the last couple months, most recently last night. I dont have any Task Killer apps or SCREEBLE installed.

Wanted to add that I never charge my Droid via the usb on my computer, I always charge through my dock that is plugged into the wall. Ive probably only plugged it into my comp three times since Ive had it, none of wich were recently.
Search tags for this page
a855 motorola droid verizon power button inoperational
a855 on/off button

a855 power button

a855 power button not working
android a855 locking power button
android model a855 power key not working
droid a855 on off switch
how do you hard reset a droid a855 with out power button
how to set another button to power on droid a855
motorola droid power button not working
motorola power button unresponsive