Droid unable to boot

garyiden

Reaction score
Ok, so I am sure I've done something stupid (not sure what) and now my phone Motorola Droid will not boot up. When I power up the phone I get two different warnings:

1. The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

2. The application Setup Wizard (process.com.android setupwizard) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

I have attempted a factory reset but nothing has worked. It appears as though there are some missing files, although I don't know for sure. I can do NOTHING with the phone at this point, as it goes to these two warnings. When I use the "Force Close" button, they just keeping popping back up and I can go no further. Help please???

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
check out link 1 to get back to stock

OP
garyiden

garyiden

Reaction score
check out link 1 to get back to stock

Thank you, but the problem is, I cannot put anything on the phone because of the error messages in my previous post. I cannot get past the errors.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As long as the phone gets at least to the M logo, the sbf thread Abe suggested will work, if you have a pc that is

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
can you hold down camera and volume down while powering on? if you can get into this screen called the bootloader then you can get back to stock

OP
garyiden

garyiden

Reaction score
Take to Verizon, have them re-flash it.

Sadly I think I will have to do that. Taught me a good lesson though: DO NOT SCREW WITH IT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! :icon_ nono:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
lol please try what i suggested.. it will work!

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
can you hold down camera and volume down while powering on? if you can get into this screen called the bootloader then you can get back to stock

Abe, think the OP has a D1

It would be up on dpad while powering on for D1

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can you boot into recovery by powering up and holding the Power and X key at the same time ?

If so there is a solution, also it might be helpful to know what you were doing that got you to this point...were you doing something in terminal emulator or trying to flash something

I accidentally pushed my framework-res.apk into the system/app folder once and got similiar errors, I had to restore a back-up from recovery by holding power and x

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Abe, think the OP has a D1

It would be up on dpad while powering on for D1

facepalm.jpg

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OP
garyiden

garyiden

Reaction score

I've tried. Step 2 does not work for me. The phone immediately goes to the error messages. "Force Close" and it starts all over again.

g

Use RSD Lite to flash the SPRecovery sbf file onto your phone:

Download the following file:
http://rescue.macleod-web.net > navigate to the sbf folder and grab SPRecovery_for_ese81.sbf
  1. Connect your phone to the PC via USB and turn it off then while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
  2. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
  3. If your phone is not displayed in the "model" column you may need to do the following:
    1. Select the "config" option from the upper left corner of the tool
    2. Select DeviceId Options
    3. Select one of the two options available. By default neither are chosen, and my phone shows up fine with neither one selected.
  4. Click the [...] next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file you want to use and double click the .sbf file.
  5. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress.
  6. Your phone will reboot and you will be on a stock 2.1 phone with SPRecovery installed.
credit to ikithme and video at droid-life.com

You now have the replacement boot-recovery app SPRecovery installed. You can use this tool to perform backups, restore those backups, apply update.zip updates, kernels, and flash full replacement roms.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I've tried. Step 2 does not work for me. The phone immediately goes to the error messages. "Force Close" and it starts all over again.

g

Use RSD Lite to flash the SPRecovery sbf file onto your phone:

Download the following file:
http://rescue.macleod-web.net > navigate to the sbf folder and grab SPRecovery_for_ese81.sbf
  1. Connect your phone to the PC via USB and turn it off then while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
  2. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
  3. If your phone is not displayed in the "model" column you may need to do the following:
    1. Select the "config" option from the upper left corner of the tool
    2. Select DeviceId Options
    3. Select one of the two options available. By default neither are chosen, and my phone shows up fine with neither one selected.
  4. Click the [...] next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file you want to use and double click the .sbf file.
  5. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress.
  6. Your phone will reboot and you will be on a stock 2.1 phone with SPRecovery installed.
credit to ikithme and video at droid-life.com

You now have the replacement boot-recovery app SPRecovery installed. You can use this tool to perform backups, restore those backups, apply update.zip updates, kernels, and flash full replacement roms.

Your phone needs to be in bootloader mode before step 2! You won't get any FC while in that mode plus you need to flash the 2.0
1 sbf not the SPR one