Droid Turbo Pros / Cons

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
As for the texting a photo, wifey isn't getting any of my photos I text to her AT&T SG4. Also, it's not telling me that it's automatically resizing when I send a text. I think there might be a bug with Message+ and sending MMS. I'll have to test this with wifey today.

Yes, some other options for sizing would be good. If I'm outdoors taking a shot of a runway or taxiway, I don't need all 16MBs. something smaller would do just fine. I'd hope that the options will be added later?

No idea on the shutter speed. Have you ever seen a Moto phone with a fast shutter? I don't think I have...

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you take a good look at he charging cable you will see it has a USB symbol on one side and is also curved inward on that side. If you can remember that the curved side needs to be facing up it will make it a little easier. You can do it by feel. Trust me my eyes are nowhere near as young as they once were. I rely on feel more than sight sometimes.

I have some older charging cables that I use at times that don't have the curved side and one trick I use it to put a very tiny dot of white fingernail polish on the top part. That makes it way easier to see in dim light.

Reactions: 24c

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
On the phone speaker issue.. Move your ear towards the corner of the phone.. That's where both speakers are located.. Just tossing that out there.

TatDroid

Reaction score
On the phone speaker issue.. Move your ear towards the corner of the phone.. That's where both speakers are located.. Just tossing that out there.
I've noticed this as well.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

Xander Crews

Reaction score
What I dislike about it is:
Hard to hear the other party (which I believe had same issue with droid maxx hd)
I don't find this is the case at all. I think in call volume is plenty loud enough...and I even have an inner ear thing going on right now where my ear feels half clogged. :)

Back of the phone, it slips out of your hands ( you'll need a case)
I opted for the ballistic nylon, and that gives it some texture. I don't think it is slippery. If I didn't opt for the ballistic nylon, I'd probably get a thin case, simply because I feel safer about bumps and short drops...even though I am very careful with my phone and am mindful not to drop it....plus the fact it would be easier to hold on to.
Keep in mind though, with the rubbery cases, sometimes getting them in and out of your pocket is a hassle as they grab the pocket lining. There is something to be said for a phone that easily slides out of your pocket when pulling it out.

I am not sure who is getting 48 hours usage, but I can tell you pulling around 14 to 15, if I am lucky
They removed smart settings from maxx hd (kinda blows because I think that helped with the battery)
I got 16 hours on a heavy use day...the very first day I had it, which is probably the heaviest use day you'll have. Which is great.
Motorola even said 48 hours isn't what you will get on heavy use days. Nobody ever thinks you'll get advertised battery life anyway...but on light use day I'll get 36 hours easy. I'm at 80% right now and I've had it off the charger for 9 hours...so that's on pace for about 48 hours. I think the battery is amazing.
Maybe turn down your screen brightness a bit, disable some of the bloatware so it doesn't run, look at how often some apps are sending notifications or syncing, etc. If your WIFI is crappy and going in and out, that could kill your battery as well as it is constantly searching and reconnecting. Or if your 4G area is spotty, your phone will be constantly looking for 4G if you are on 3G.
You also may have installed some battery sucking apps too. Something to keep in mind.

Not able to zoom with the camera
Nope. You can zoom with the camera.
I use Camera FX Zoom anyway. It also has an image stabilization feature, which helps offset the fact that the Turbo doesn't have it.

I strongly advice you to look into solo launcher (free and great application)
I use Nova Launcher. Same concept. I'd highly recommend that. I've used a few launchers and personally I think Nova is the best. But a launcher is a personal preference thing.

I would go into apps and disable all applications you aren't planning on using. I believe right now I have 24 disable.
Just be careful you don't disable something you need. Disabling something you aren't sure about could cause your phone to function in a way you don't like. In other words, you may be using the app or a service or process may need it and you not know it.

Pologuy

Reaction score
I use Camera FX Zoom anyway. It also has an image stabilization feature, which helps offset the fact that the Turbo doesn't have it.

Just looked this up - it seems to just have something that shows you if you are not steady so you can steady your shot, correct?

Are there any apps that can actually "add" ISO to your camera?

I use Nova Launcher. Same concept. I'd highly recommend that. I've used a few launchers and personally I think Nova is the best. But a launcher is a personal preference thing.

Will this let you change the size and color of your icons, etc? Even the ones in your tray?

Last edited:

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Just looked this up - it seems to just have something that shows you if you are not steady so you can steady your shot, correct?

Are there any apps that can actually "add" ISO to your camera?

Will this let you change the size and color of your icons, etc? Even the ones in your tray?
Correct. But the end result is a steady shot, so that works for me.
And no, camera apps can not add ISO functionality.

And yes, Nova Launcher allows you to change the size, color, number of icons, and theme of icons from your desktop screens and your tray. You can also change all kinds of other things to customize your setup.

Here is my current screen setup using Nova Launcher:
76ed65acb679caa13af46f5960945530.jpg

Last edited:

Pologuy

Reaction score
And yes, Nova Launcher allows you to change the size, color, number of icons, and theme of icons from your desktop screens and your tray. You can also change all kinds of other things to customize your setup.

Here is my current screen setup using Nova Launcher:
76ed65acb679caa13af46f5960945530.jpg

Hey, thanks!

Does it use a lot of the CPU and/or battery?

And is it easy to uninstall if you don't like it?

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Hey, thanks!

Does it use a lot of the CPU and/or battery?

And is it easy to uninstall if you don't like it?
Nova doesn't even appear on the Battery usage page. So I guess it doesn't use much at all. I don't know why it would use any battery, as it is just a skin for the OS that gives you different/more settings.

It's like any other app if you want to uninstall it. Once you uninstall it, it will revert back to your phone's stock home screens and settings.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
What is Quick snap?

It's a camera app.
I just tried it out. It's not any faster than the stock camera.

I have found that Camera FX Zooom is a very nice camera app (might be the best). It has a stability feature where after you click to take the photo, it won't take the photo unless the phone is stablized and not moving. As soon as the phone is still, it snaps the photo. I have found this drastically helps prevents blurry shots that are common on the Droid Turbo because of the lack of image stabilization.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It's a camera app.
I just tried it out. It's not any faster than the stock camera.

I have found that Camera FX Zooom is a very nice camera app (might be the best). It has a stability feature where after you click to take the photo, it won't take the photo unless the phone is stablized and not moving. As soon as the phone is still, it snaps the photo. I have found this drastically helps prevents blurry shots that are common on the Droid Turbo because of the lack of image stabilization.
Just passing along a bit of useless info.. But it helps if you lean against something, to get a steady pic.. It sounds unnecessary.. But it can help.. Especially if you're zooming...