Droid Turbo Pros / Cons

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Turbo' started by m@tt, Nov 6, 2014.

1. m@tt

m@tt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What I dislike about it is:
    Hard to hear the other party (which I believe had same issue with droid maxx hd)
    Back of the phone, it slips out of your hands ( you'll need a case)
    I am not sure who is getting 48 hours usage, but I can tell you pulling around 14 to 15, if I am lucky
    They removed smart settings from maxx hd (kinda blows because I think that helped with the battery)
    Not able to zoom with the camera

What I like:
    THE SPEED!!
    I like that Motorola came out with an application you can use your pc to receive and send messages
    The softcard application
    The widget to view weather, battery, date/time (you can also use it with other launchers now)

Extras:
    I strongly advice you to look into solo launcher (free and great application)
    You can dl Gmail 5.0 now (looks 10x better)
    I would go into apps and disable all applications you aren't planning on using. I believe right now I have 24 disable.

Maybe someone can explain to me why cell standby using a lot of the battery.

Attached Files:

2. wardo

wardo Active Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Can't zoom the camera when taking a picture?

3. m@tt

m@tt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes. I tried use pitch with your fingers.

4. realged13

realged13 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +95
    You don't pinch now. You hold your finger down on the screen and go up for zoom-in and down to zoom-out,

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Ratings:
    +372
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
    And you can zoom the same way with the selfie camera.

Tap'd from my Droid Turbo

6. altspeed

altspeed Active Member

Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
    Ratings:
    +17
    Same as the 2013 X, can you wrist flip the camera on from the lock screen like the X too?

7. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Yes

8. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Opening for the earpiece is higher on the phone, essentially in the top edge so that may be part of the problem

Which model are you referring to for the back being slippery?

I do miss Smart Settings. There are third party versions.

Give the phone a chance to get everything settled and the battery performance should improve.

9. CaptainSS

CaptainSS Gold Member

Ratings:
    +497
    Pro- This thing seems to be getting faster ...

10. altspeed

altspeed Active Member

Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
    Ratings:
    +17
    I like it enough that I think I could stand it even unroofed, but we'll see after we see what's actually up on the NX6 vis a vis Verizon before I buy anything else. If the NX6 is available through VZW when my upgrade happens in about 6 weeks I'll be on the NX6, if it's not I'll either leave VZW or think about the turbo. Really not crazy about the looks of lollipop so far, but we'll see what I think with root and a launcher and icon set I like before I start looking for KitKat ROMS for the NX (5 icon dock looks so sparse to me, I run 7 wide with apex and have since ICS, don't like that whole homescreen on one side instead of the center idea either.

#10 altspeed, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  11. scottysize

scottysize Active Member

Ratings:
    +141
    I know, this thread was opened a few days ago, but I wanted to chime in...

Bad:
    • I'm having the same issues with the battery. While I can get a day out of it, there's no way I'm going 24 hours, let alone 48. Even with my crappy office signal for 10.5 hours, the Turbo just keeps up with the iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 is a 1800ish mAh battery, while the Turbo is a 3900mAh battery. The Turbo should be far surpass the iPhone, and it doesn't.(Cell standby is usually high because you're in a bad service area. Mine's always high because I get crappy service in my office.)
    • The earpeice is "tinny". That's the best description I have for it.
    • Camera Speed. Wow is it slow. Especially for new phones. I haven't had a camera this slow since the OG Droid. Even my Maxx and Maxx HD had a faster responce.
    • No SD Card. Really? Why not?
    • What happened to the HD Port? I used the crap outta that thing. :(
    • Software. While vanilla is great, there is such a thing as too vanilla. Not being able to customize the App Drawer is too vanilla in my opinion. A launcher is a must. (I splurged and dropped the $4 bucks on Action Launcher. I really like it and it runs well.)

The Good:
    • Slippage from the hand could be solved by getting the Nylon back. It's the best backing I've ever had one a phone. I Love It!
    • Radios - Nothing I've ever had compares to motorola radios. I just hung up with my mom while sitting at my desk here at work. That is unheard of with any other phone. No one can hear me while I'm sitting at my desk with other phones. I always have to run outside to talk.
    • Ditto with the moto widget. They keep improving their moto widget each time they produce a new version and it really is nice to be able to use it with external launchers.
    • Camera photo quality is as I'd expect. I haven't used it to take a 21MP photo yet, but the 16MPs turn out great. The dual LEDs do help in a dark room.
    • QI Charging! YEA! I'm very glad they brought it to the Turbo. No idea why more phones aren't using this.

Really Don't Care:
    • Ya, the moto connect is cool, but I was already using VZW Message +, so really I don't need the connect feature.
    • Softcard. Haven't used it. I wasn't using the iPhone version either.
    For now, since they let us disable the bloatware, and after I added a decent launcher, I really see no need to root. I'm fine if they can't give us root access. I'm already paying for the hotspot, since I use it daily and probably average 5-10GBs just using the hotspot each month. It will be nice to see how 5.0 runs on it and see if there are changes. IE: App drawer modification. That one bothers me enough so that I cannot use the stock launcher.

So, even with the bad, I see myself using this phone until next year. It's the first phone this year that I've been able to say that. (I've had the LG G2, G3, HTC One M8, and iPhone 6 this year.) The radios are so good, that I might even use this phone for many years, but let's not go overboard...

• Like Like x 3
  12. m@tt

m@tt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Check out solo launcher. It's free

Search tags for this page
droid turbo 2 pros and cons
droid turbo 2 reviews pros and cons
droid turbo cons
droid turbo forum

droid turbo pros and cons