Droid Turbo has no data with Verizon SIM, works on T-Mobile or AT&T

Cheapdroid

Reaction score
So, I received my Turbo in the mail two days ago (had a Droid Maxx). In addition to my Verizon account, I have a Tmobile SIM for use when roaming internationally, since Tmo is dirt cheap. For grins, I decided to stick my Tmobile SIM in the Turbo when activating it for the first time. The good news is the Turbo worked like a champ on T-Mobile...fast 4G LTE and simultaneous voice (I'm in Dallas, Texas btw). The bad news is, when I swapped the Tmobile SIM for my Verizon SIM, I got voice only....NO VERIZON DATA WHATSOEVER...no 4g...3g...2g...nothing :-/

I spent an hour troubleshooting the lack of data on my Verizon SIM with Verizon Tech - did factory reset, reseated the SIM, nothing brought Verizon data back to my Verizon Droid Turbo. i even went to the Verizon store and tried a new SIM...no go either. Funny thing is the signal strength menu (more > mobile data > signal strength) sees both Verizon 1x and 4G, but the phone will not connect to Verizon 4G (it sees Verizon 4G for 5-10 seconds then goes away, but never registers), only Tmobile (with the T-Mobile SIM in of course).

I am sharing my situation to help others who may be thinking about doing the same thing. If you plan on using your Turbo on Verizon, suggest first activating your device with the Verizon SIM. I am going to exchange the device tomorrow, unless anyone has an ideas they would like to share. They would be most welcome.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Bump for consideration...

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hmm. When you go into settings.. More, mobile networks, access point names.. With the vzw sim card..what does it say?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hmm. When you go into settings.. More, mobile networks, access point names.. With the vzw sim card..what does it say?
Very good question... I see where you're going with that.

OP
C

Cheapdroid

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. With the VZW SIM in the Turbo, there is one APN entry showing:

Verizon Internet
VZWINTERNET

When I click on it, I noticed several of the fields are greyed out and some are not set at all, such as Username and Password.

OP
C

Cheapdroid

Reaction score
For grins, I just popped a friend's ATT SIM in my Turbo. Bingo....blazing 4G data right away. So it appears my device is not actually locked, but perhaps BLOCKED by Verizon. :(

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Odd... Very strange...You've already done a factory data reset.. Man.. Did you do that with the vzw sim card in the tray?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
OK.. Also.. When it shows vzwinternet.. Tap on the upper right corner.. Reset to default... Do that.. Reboot.. See what happens..

OP
C

Cheapdroid

Reaction score
OK.. Also.. When it shows vzwinternet.. Tap on the upper right corner.. Reset to default... Do that.. Reboot.. See what happens..

Thanks. Tried it. No go :( Replacement is on its way, but this is effin puzzling :eek:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'd really like to know what happened there, if for no other reason than to know how it could get past a FDR>? I'm siding to some extent with 94lt1, it may have somehow been blacklisted by Verizon. The fact that it fired up on ATT proves it's functioning so it's something the Verizon switch doesn't like about it. Maybe Verizon thinks it smells or something, after that T-Mobil SIM! LOL! JK. ;)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Don't put that sim in the new one lol.

OP
C

Cheapdroid

Reaction score
So, the replacement Turbo arrived a few days ago. Popped the VZW SIM card in and it worked like a charm. Gut feeling is where I think 94LT1 was going. Somehow the TMO SIM card on first use corrupted the APN settings. I'm afraid to slide the TMO SIM in the replacement Turbo lol. Now, if only the call volume and speaker were as good as my old Droid Maxx. Sigh :-/ Thanks everyone!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I wouldn't have any reservations about trying that other SIM. If it corrupts the new phone you have a damn good reason to complain for another new phone. A SIM shouldn't be able to corrupt any phone.