DROID Turbo Can’t Currently do Simultaneous Voice and Data!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
went to vzw today, checked out the z3v the turbo and the note 4, didn't make it any easier..

definitely leaving note 4 or z3v... but that red turbo... SOOOO PRETTYYYYYY!!!!!!

#firstworldproblems

Yes it is. If only they had it in 64GB.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised at the number of you saying simultaneous voice and data don't matter. To realtors, it matters. To medical field employees sending pertinent information, it matters. To students like myself working on projects, it matters. To friends talking on the phone and sharing, it matters. In some cases it's just an inconvenience, but when things are time-critical, it can make a major difference. A technology-heavy world does not look favorably on steps backwards, and it also doesn't care much for excuses; look at how many are ready to burn Google/HTC for issues with first-run Nexus 9s.

Failing to launch with this feature has and will continue to hurt sales of this device. The issue will be corrected, but that won't get units into the hands of those who went with Samsung, HTC, Apple, Sony, or any other manufacturer with a newer flagship that doesn't have to wait on a nebulous update to correct the avoidable problem. Just speaking to things as they are. The situation has been enough to warrant articles on several blogs, with hundreds of comments on each post, and for every person who replies, we know there are many times more who don't.

Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
For the record, I never said it doesn't matter...just that it doesn't matter to me, and I'm a Mortgage Banker so I'm very aware of Realtors and how they use technology. I use it myself and have found at times that the convenience was nice. What I did say is essentially that it won't matter to most people.

What I am also saying however is that it's not a deal-beaker for me. In other words I won't settle for a lesser phone in some other aspects just to get the data/voice feature out of the gate now. My new Turbo is arriving tomorrow and I couldn't be happier. I won't think twice about the lack of tandem voice & data until I'm in a real jam and need it. Perhaps then I might drop a superlative or two but I'm betting the update will be here before I know it and this will all be a big non-event for me.

What bugs me is how quickly people were ready to jump on the "bash Motorola/Lenovo/Google" bandwagon as soon as it was discovered that the Turbo couldn't do it, yet there's almost no chatter about the Sony Xperia Z3V or the Moto X 2014 also suffering the same shortcoming. Again, I'm willing to bet the Nexus 6 will also be unable to talk and surf in tandem considering it's essentially the same architecture as the Turbo. I can't wait to hear all the Moto bashing when the Nexus 6 phone hits the market and the doom and gloom reviewers get their hands on it.

Most of the bashing was nothing more than writers and blogs and websites just looking for something controversial to build up and gain readership with.

I've yet to see even one article doing the same regarding the Z3V. In the Turbo articles is front page, headline news, but in the Z3V reviews it's but a side note, like, "oh, and by the way, it can't do simultaneous voice and data...yet.". Biased?

From AndroidCentral, this is under the heading " A few other odds and ends" near the end of the article stating " No, you don't get simultaneous voice and data, at least not without VOLTE. Which the phone doesn't yet have.". That's the entire mention of it.

PhoneScoop, not one mention of the lacking feature on the Z3V.

I'm reading that even the LG G3 is not capable of tandem voice/data but that's hidden even deeper in the reviews and blogs.

Smh.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Nope, its worked fine on my S3 & my S5 before VoLTE. While I do use this feature probably more than most, its something I could do without for a couple months if I had to. Fortunately, I don't have to atm.
Good luck guys, I'm sure you'll have it soon enough.

S5 tap'n

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I thought ANY Phone on VZW that could do both at the same time were all still pretty rare. Isn't this a new thing to VZW? Which phones CAN do both? Don't think my Razr HD can.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
To realtors, it matters. To medical field employees sending pertinent information, it matters. To students like myself working on projects, it matters. To friends talking on the phone and sharing, it matters.

I'm sorry, but I think, IMHO, in almost ALL cases (surly not most) it is an inconvenience.
I know a realtor. And I've worked with a few. Can't say I've ever been on the phone with someone and NEEDED that email right now.
Medical Field Employees? EMT's don't use cellphones to communicate with hospitals.
What project are you working on, on your phone, that is so mission critical and you can't be on WiFi?
Friends sharing? Young people don't talk on the phone anymore. :D

(Please don't be offended by my post. I am not attacking you, I hope you know. Only having a discussion)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I thought ANY Phone on VZW that could do both at the same time were all still pretty rare. Isn't this a new thing to VZW? Which phones CAN do both? Don't think my Razr HD can.

Actually, it's exactly the opposite with Android LTE devices on Verizon - any phone that can't do both at the same time while on LTE is rare.

Since officially launching LTE with the HTC Thunderbolt in March 2011, being able to use simultaneous voice and data on Verizon has been a standard feature for LTE devices. This is because most of the devices to date have had two antennas - one for CDMA and one for LTE. When connected to LTE, data can run over LTE while voice can run over CDMA. Your RAZR HD can do this, as can most Verizon LTE devices released until recently.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Is this an issue with the Galaxy S5 on Verizon too?

The S5 has a CDMA antenna and a LTE antenna, which allows simultaneous use of both networks (voice over CDMA, data over LTE). VoLTE is supported on the S5 now though, so everything is done over LTE if you have it enabled.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Was not rare but not all could and it was even non-existent in respect to the iPhone in earlier versions on Verizon. ATT had it for the iPhone before Verizon did, I believe.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Actually, it's exactly the opposite with Android LTE devices on Verizon - any phone that can't do both at the same time while on LTE is rare.

Thanks. Did not know. I'll have to try it sometime. :D

\\EDIT|| Just tried. OK...that IS pretty cool. lol

TatDroid

Reaction score
This is not an issue for me, I very rarely need to use data while on the phone (actually phone calls is WAY down the list of things I use my phone for).

I question, however, whether VoLTE is going to solve this problem in the short term. Didn't I read somewhere that for VoLTE to work BOTH parties on the call must be using it? How long will it be before that's a common thing?

EDIT: Here's an article that, if I'm reading it correctly, confirms both parties on call must be on VoLTE service:
Verizon AT T to launch VoLTE-to-VoLTE calling interoperability in 2015 - FierceWireless

Here's a quote: "Currently, to experience Verizon's VoLTE service both parties on a call need to be using a VoLTE-enabled Verizon smartphone."

Sent from my Droid Turbo

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is not an issue for me, I very rarely need to use data while on the phone (actually phone calls is WAY down the list of things I use my phone for).

I question, however, whether VoLTE is going to solve this problem in the short term. Didn't I read somewhere that for VoLTE to work BOTH parties on the call must be using it? How long will it be before that's a common thing?

EDIT: Here's an article that, if I'm reading it correctly, confirms both parties on call must be on VoLTE service:
Verizon AT T to launch VoLTE-to-VoLTE calling interoperability in 2015 - FierceWireless

Here's a quote: "Currently, to experience Verizon's VoLTE service both parties on a call need to be using a VoLTE-enabled Verizon smartphone."

Sent from my Droid Turbo
this brings to mind another issue, should you drop out of a 4g area, there are plenty near my house, these new phones no longer have cdma/evdo? Does this mean you lose data if your in a 3g only area? or do they still support 3g data but not cdma voice? seems a bit premature to pull the trigger on something like that when you aren't at 100% 4g coverage. I guess if you live in city and don't leave often it's a non issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
this brings to mind another issue, should you drop out of a 4g area, there are plenty near my house, these new phones no longer have cdma/evdo? Does this mean you lose data if your in a 3g only area? or do they still support 3g data but not cdma voice? seems a bit premature to pull the trigger on something like that when you aren't at 100% 4g coverage. I guess if you live in city and don't leave often it's a non issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Newer Verizon devices still 100% support CDMA. Verizon is not "pulling the plug" on CDMA at this point. That's still a few years off.

With these newer devices, you can still make calls over CDMA and use 3G data just like before if you don't have LTE. The only thing that's different is that the CDMA radio doesn't have it's own antenna. It now shares an antenna with the LTE radio. Only one of them can use the antenna at a time, so you can't use both networks simultaneously. But there is total support for both networks.

Reactions: cr6