DROID Turbo Can’t Currently do Simultaneous Voice and Data!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This is one of the main reasons I don't go right out and purchase the "next big thing", at least without waiting a couple weeks for the real world results/reviews to come out. They always make them look good "on paper", but after reading real customer reviews over the past week, I'm still glad I went with my S5. Between the poor direct sunlight viewing, lack of sd card, lack of simultaneous voice & data and weak camera, this device truly only shines in the battery life and looks department. (And in a few cases speed....but barely) Not to say this isn't an amazing device overall, because it is. But if I still had a choice today... I'd go with the S5 again without question.
The beauty of it all is the amazing choices Android fans have these days. Truly unprecedented. And regardless of what device you go with, 9 times out of 10 you're going to be extremely happy with your decision.
I'm still holding out hope for the Nexus 6 to excel, but honestly I don't see it being all that different than the Turbo, but we'll see.
Again, I'm not knocking Moto....This IS a great device. I'm just not seeing a need to trade in my S5 just yet.

S5 tap'n

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Very well said, Android is all about choice and preference. It's great we can be together, but not the same. ;)

on the move..

Reactions: cr6

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Would suck not to be able to use data while on the phone with VZ as much as I seem to be taking to them lately. Sending this while on hold. Bad move going with a single capability antenna.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Voice and data is critical to a lot of people. How many times are you on the phone, and need to look something up, grab an email, send the person you are talking to an email or file, etc...?

I use voice and data at the same time, every single day, and I don't think that I am in the minority here.

Tethering is also a use for that.

I can't see why they would not have that built in... what year is it? LOL

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Voice and data is critical to a lot of people. How many times are you on the phone, and need to look something up, grab an email, send the person you are talking to an email or file, etc...?

Like once in 5 years.
"Alright I'll hang up, forward that to you, and call you right back"
Is that so hard?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Like once in 5 years.
"Alright I'll hang up, forward that to you, and call you right back"
Is that so hard?
depends on who you're talking to... I know there's times I NEED to be on the phone with the person to ensure they got it... hanging up, then calling back is something I shouldn't have to do... not in 2014

I remember there used to be commercials from AT&T espousing their simultaneous voice and data and making fun of Verizon

so obviously it was important enough for Blue to poke fun at Red.

Reactions: cr6

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

I use voice and data at the same time, every single day, and I don't think that I am in the minority here.

Tethering is also a use for that.

I can't see why they would not have that built in... what year is it? LOL

It's because when in the design phase, Verizon expected the phone to launch with VoLTE support. They saw no reason to add additional hardware at an additional cost when it wasn't supposed to be needed. Since then, Verizon has run into delays with getting VoLTE deployed as widely as they originally planned. Because of those delays, they were unable to launch the phone with the planned VoLTE support. Once it's ready, they'll update the phone for VoLTE, and simultaneous voice and data will be available.

It's certainly disappointing in the meantime, but it will come eventually.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
so obviously it was important enough for Blue to poke fun at Red.

It was important to "poke fun at" because at the time the iPhone, an ATT exclusive, was the ONLY phone that COULD do it. Not because the world was clamoring for it.

You also shouldn't have to stay on the phone with someone in 2014 "to ensure they got it".
:D
I'm sorry, but in all but a VERY few cases, this really is NOT a big deal.
It may be convienient for some of you, but must have?? Come on. Spoiled!!!! :D

As for that commercial??? Also totally lame.

"Hi Honey! It's out anniversary. Did you book our table?"
"Yep, really busy right now honey, let me call you back when I'm on the way home!"
Then make your reservations. Maybe even do it QUICKER by USING THE PHONE AS A PHONE.

Do not stick up for bad phone commercials. :D :D hahaha

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
It was important to "poke fun at" because at the time the iPhone, an ATT exclusive, was the ONLY phone that COULD do it. Not because the world was clamoring for it.

You also shouldn't have to stay on the phone with someone in 2014 "to ensure they got it".
:D
I'm sorry, but in all but a VERY few cases, this really is NOT a big deal.
It may be convienient for some of you, but must have?? Come on. Spoiled!!!! :D

As for that commercial??? Also totally lame.

"Hi Honey! It's out anniversary. Did you book our table?"
"Yep, really busy right now honey, let me call you back when I'm on the way home!"
Then make your reservations. Maybe even do it QUICKER by USING THE PHONE AS A PHONE.

Do not stick up for bad phone commercials. :D :D hahaha
I remember other commercial pre 4g when Verizon couldn't do it.

I am constantly doing work on my phone away from my computer. getting a call and continuing to do said work while using my phone as a phone is indeed a must. I daresay a requirement.

so yes, it's ridiculous that they've done this, it will be fixed. it's just strange how it's happened.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
..."Alright I'll hang up, forward that to you, and call you right back"
Is that so hard?

I have to agree that it's a minor inconvenience, maybe even for a relatively infrequent instance over the next month or two, but will be resolved once the update is pushed out. It's that way with the Turbo and the Moto X 2014. I had indication it was also that way with the Z3V, but I am getting conflicting reports from Verizon Technical Support. I am waiting for someone to step forward and debunk it on the Sony Xperia.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
With the prevalence of free WiFi, the fact VoLTE is coming soon, and the fact a majority of normal users don't use this feature. I see no need to deem this an issue. I have WiFi everywhere I go and I'm in the middle of nowhere Ohio. If you need to stop at a McDonald's and send that email while you talk about the email. This is truly a non issue. It is 2014...theres towns near me with free WiFi covering the town. There's a way for the few that "need" this to use it until VoLTE comes.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Lol I found that out yesterday AFTER I ordered it online as an upgrade on a dumb phone line. Going to use my old sim from maxx without losing unlimited and without activating data on dumb line. At least that's the plan. Will keep you updated.

Main reasons why I chose xperia over turbo is 160gb of storage, waterproofing, longer battery life and better camera.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
went to vzw today, checked out the z3v the turbo and the note 4, didn't make it any easier..

definitely leaving note 4 or z3v... but that red turbo... SOOOO PRETTYYYYYY!!!!!!

#firstworldproblems