Droid Turbo 2 Won't Charge, Battery now dead

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I know this situation sucks, but it sounds like you have a defective phone. It's a well documented, known issue with the Turbo 2. If it's getting that hot, where it's too hot to even hold it, I would stop trying to charge it with the cable. Buy a cheap wireless charger and use that so you can recover your personal data and wait on a replacement phone.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fontcaleb

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Mine won't charge at all, with a wired charger or with a wireless charger

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Mine won't charge at all, with a wired charger or with a wireless charger
Mine ended up the same a year after the wired charging port died. It work fine wireless charging for about a year and then kaput. The only thing I could do was pay for a refurbished phone from Moto.

JDH

Reaction score
Bought new Motorola battery for my Turbo 1for $16, had it installed at repair shop for $30. Works like brand new.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone try replacing the battery yourself? It doesn't LOOK that difficult.....just not sure how easy it would be to find a repair shop to do it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Anyone try replacing the battery yourself? It doesn't LOOK that difficult.....just not sure how easy it would be to find a repair shop to do it.
I considered it, but Moto made me a pretty good deal on a refurb, so I went that route. I did watch two battery replacement videos on the Turbo 2, and with the correct tools it doesn't look too difficult. The hardest part looks like gluing the back cover back on evenly so it looks good afterward.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I considered it, but Moto made me a pretty good deal on a refurb, so I went that route. I did watch two battery replacement videos on the Turbo 2, and with the correct tools it doesn't look too difficult. The hardest part looks like gluing the back cover back on evenly so it looks good afterward.

I do see a few repair shops by me. I think I'll call and ask if they replace the adhesive (which retains the water "proofing"). If not, I'll do it myself. Although if it would take me an hour or more, anyway, then $30 is worth it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I do see a few repair shops by me. I think I'll call and ask if they replace the adhesive (which retains the water "proofing"). If not, I'll do it myself. Although if it would take me an hour or more, anyway, then $30 is worth it.
I asked one of the local repair shops by me what phone adhesive they prefer, so I had an idea which type & brand to buy. He said...."super glue". OK, dude. I ordered 3M phone adhesive tape and has seemed to work ok on the screens I have replaced. I'm not sure what to use on the back plate of a Turbo 2. The 3M tape would be too thick.

RetAF

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This sounds exactly like my case. Sadly, no I do not know anyone with a wireless charger.
My wife and I both have T2's and have both had to have the battery replaced (at a local repair). Phones worked like new with the new batteries; for about four months. My wife's stopped charging with the wireless charger, then any charger. One day she finally got a charge on it but the next morning it wouldn't come on. Nothing, zip, dead! It took us a couple more days to get to the Verizon store where the tech tried to charge it or get it to turn on but no luck. He ordered a replacement which came in overnight. We took it to the repair place to try to get the data off the phone and when the tech tried to charge it, he got nothing. THEN while pushing buttons and trying to think of something the phone came to life! Poof! Just like that. So we had the tech transfer any info from the old to the new and did a factory reset and sent it to the repair facility with the RMA given with the new phone. My phone had been acting up like hers and two days later my phone quit. I am hoping it will suddenly come back on, but not holding my breath. Could an update or something possibly cause this?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It's possible, but I haven't seen any system update or Android OS update on my Turbo 2 in a long time. It could also be the batteries that were installed. Maybe they were not genuine Moto brand / compatible batteries?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk