Droid troubles. Root for the technically challenged..

Zeppelin562

Reaction score
Hey guys, im new here. i know the whole rooting process has been explained millions of times but im still having trouble. sue me. every time i download update.zip it comes in two folders instead of one. one is meta something and the other is a folder that says system. i tried just adding those to my droids sd card and then allowing update.zip but it didnt work it said it was aborted or whatever. Help please! all i want to do is be able to change the lock unlock and select sounds.:icon_eek:

Also i use 7zip to open update.zip.
not sure if this matters.

EbE404

Reaction score
Hey guys, im new here. i know the whole rooting process has been explained millions of times but im still having trouble. sue me. every time i download update.zip it comes in two folders instead of one. one is meta something and the other is a folder that says system. i tried just adding those to my droids sd card and then allowing update.zip but it didnt work it said it was aborted or whatever. Help please! all i want to do is be able to change the lock unlock and select sounds.:icon_eek:

Also i use 7zip to open update.zip.
not sure if this matters.

Don't unzip the file. I'm not sure what you mean by it "showing up as two folders"-it should download and appear as one file if you are just doing a normal download.

Can you provide more details on what exactly you are doing?

Also, have you rooted already? If not, those files won't help you- you need to be rooted before you flash a custom ROM.

OP
Z

Zeppelin562

Reaction score
[/quote]

Don't unzip the file. I'm not sure what you mean by it "showing up as two folders"-it should download and appear as one file if you are just doing a normal download.

Also, have you rooted already? If not, those files won't help you- you need to be rooted before you flash a custom ROM.[/QUOTE]

I download the file that they tell me to, which is Update.zip and instead of getting the icon and it saying update.zip its two different things instead.
im not rooted yet either.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
what is the update.zip file you are downloading - is it a rom?? in order to utilize a custom rom or a stock rooted rom, you have to be rooted first. here is a link for rooting: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

once you are rooted, you just place the update.zip file on the root of your sdcard. yes, within the zip file there will be 2 separate files. but, when you're on your "home" sdcard screen, you should just see the update.zip file - the icon will look like an open cardboard box with files sticking out of the top. don't extract the files - just flash the update.zip file.

EbE404

Reaction score

Also, have you rooted already? If not, those files won't help you- you need to be rooted before you flash a custom ROM.[/QUOTE]

I download the file that they tell me to, which is Update.zip and instead of getting the icon and it saying update.zip its two different things instead.
im not rooted yet either.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, i guess I've never seen that.

OK, first things first-you need to get rooted (and some additional homework to some of the basics would be beneficial to you). There are plenty of threads on the forum to guide you through the process, these can be found with a search (HINT: Use the Google search instead of the native search, it works much better).

Next, you will want some navigation tools, such as Astro, if you don't already have them.

Finally, the Hacking section of this forum is where you probably want to be, as there is a lot of help available there.

A word of caution-please do research before you jump off the cliff (you are doing the right thing by asking questions here). Rooting and playing with ROMs is great, but odd things can happen. It is extremely difficult to completely kill your phone, but recovering from issues will be easier if you understand the basics of working with recovery, backing up nandroids, etc. My signature is particularly appropriate with this stuff ;)

I know you want to dive right in and get started, but a bit of reading and research will pay off and save you time and frustration if you run into issues.

Again, resources on all of that can be found with a search.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
++++++1!! read, read, and read some more. then, when you find what you're looking for, read it several times. there are also videos on youtube about the rooting process - very helpful!! i found one on droid-life, and i watched it at least 4 times before i rooted.

also, i know there are apps out there that allow for "one button" rooting. i'm not in favor of those. by doing it the "long way," IMO you have a much better understanding of the process and you will be much better equipped to deal with any issues that might pop up...