1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid Took A Swim, Didn't Do So Well!!!

Discussion in 'Rescue Squad Help' started by jcboyett, Apr 17, 2010.

1. jcboyett

jcboyett New Member

I was in my boat today and playing music over the speakers through my droid as I do in my car when my dumb*** got my ROOTed droid wet like it needed a bath. Phone barely turns on now, when it does I get no signal. I already took the steps to use RSDlite and go back to stock 2.0.1. Couldn't sign into google since theres no signal on my phone now. Screen looks like it's holding water. I guess my question is... is there anything thing else before I take this thang up to Verizon and file an insurance claim???
  2. hedney3

hedney3 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

nope....sorry but it sounds like water damage that cant be fixed. man thats a serious blower
  3. toddj

toddj New Member

(I'm not entirely knowledgeable on the subject) But I would make sure the SD card doesn't have any remnants of rooting (update.zip, flash img, etc.). Maybe someone else can help you think of more things to check for before turning it in.
  4. jcboyett

jcboyett New Member

yeah, it won't be too hard to either fully erase erthang that's on the sdcard, or just take it out before I take it to them. They won't miss it. Another thing I was curious about was if verizon's insurance does protect water damage? Also, is it gonna be a big deal that it's on 2.0.1 and not 2.1???
  5. toddj

toddj New Member

I'm fairly certain if you're paying for insurance that it covers almost 100% everything (not bricking though ha), but you have to pay the deductible. I wouldn't imagine it being a big big deal that it wasn't 2.1, but if you can load up 2.1 OTA on it somehow that would probably reduce possible suspicion
  6. hedney3

hedney3 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

no the 2.1/2.0.1 isnt a problem. also if you had insure than water should be covered so you are safe. and yes make sure to revert back to stock and just back up your sd card on your pc. rooting voids any warranties and even insurance in some cases
  7. bennyj

bennyj New Member

If you have insurance through assurion, you dont need to take it to verizon. Just call asurion and put in your claim. You will mail the phone back directly to them.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. jcboyett

jcboyett New Member

Are they gon send me some sloppy REFURB?
  9. wctaylor79

wctaylor79 Premium Member Premium Member

If u are really worried and have insurance then u can call and claim lost your phone and wont cost any extra money. Just an fyi...
  10. jcboyett

jcboyett New Member

Not even a deductable?
  11. wctaylor79

wctaylor79 Premium Member Premium Member

Thats the bad news.. going through insurance will prob get refurb...
  12. bennyj

bennyj New Member

Depends , I have had them send me a refurb and a brand new in the box.

13. bennyj

bennyj New Member

Used to be $50.00 I dont know what the charge is now.I have not used it in a couple of years.
  14. jcboyett

jcboyett New Member

That sucks, oh well. Guess I can't do anything about that. If the refurb is faulty then it's on them and they have to send me another one. I know a verizon customer that had an omnia and they sent her two faulty phones when she made claims and they finally just upgraded her to the omnia II. Maybe I'll get the Incredible... wishful thinking huh. Anyways, I know for sure the roots gone, I've used the same process to change the boot logo and it always breaks root, I even checked by booting up recovery and it was the stock 2(a) recovery image. So I guess now I all need to do is make the claim. Do I go into verizon for this or what???
  15. toddj

toddj New Member

It seems like it was $90 for a smart phone now. You'll have to double check that though, I have never had to do it.
  16. SpykeZ

SpykeZ New Member

Verizon uses assuron or however you spell it as a 3rd party insurance company and any phone to be replaced is a 50 dollar deductable as far as I'm aware. Everything is covered with them, my dog chewed up my LG venus and they covered it lol (phone deserved it tho, the touch screen was horrid)
  17. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad

The last I knew the deductible was $89.00 (but it may have changed). You get 2 claims per rolling 12 months, or a $1500 claim limit, whichever comes first. The Assurion coverage covers theft / loss / water damage.

You can call Assurion at 888-881-2622 to verify or go to phoneclaim.com/verizon and check it out for yourself.
  18. jcboyett

jcboyett New Member

How bout I just got my new phone in and I feel a lil' downgraded. The box it came in looks smaller and cheaper than my original... and the keys on the keyboard are completely FLAT. I guess that's what everyone was talkin' 'bout when they said their keyboard was flat. My last one was a lil' raised. AND come to find out, when I got the new phone I switched the batteries to see... and my new battery made my OLD phone work completely. Signal and everything
  19. toddj

toddj New Member

I would see if you can keep the battery maybe? Since you seem to like your old one better and the battery seemed to fix the problem.
  20. jcboyett

jcboyett New Member

I guess I'll keep it, since I've already paid for it and erthang. The only real downfall is the keyboard. My old one looked like it had fought in Nam, so I got a fresh start here. But it did come with the new 2.1 ese81 and the new baseband. Guess if I don't like it I know what I can do bout that huh
Search tags for this page

what to do with droid that took a swim