Droid Took A Swim, Didn't Do So Well!!!

jcboyett

Reaction score
I was in my boat today and playing music over the speakers through my droid as I do in my car when my dumb*** got my ROOTed droid wet like it needed a bath. Phone barely turns on now, when it does I get no signal. I already took the steps to use RSDlite and go back to stock 2.0.1. Couldn't sign into google since theres no signal on my phone now. Screen looks like it's holding water. I guess my question is... is there anything thing else before I take this thang up to Verizon and file an insurance claim???

hedney3

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I was in my boat today and playing music over the speakers through my droid as I do in my car when my dumb*** got my ROOTed droid wet like it needed a bath. Phone barely turns on now, when it does I get no signal. I already took the steps to use RSDlite and go back to stock 2.0.1. Couldn't sign into google since theres no signal on my phone now. Screen looks like it's holding water. I guess my question is... is there anything thing else before I take this thang up to Verizon and file an insurance claim???
nope....sorry but it sounds like water damage that cant be fixed. man thats a serious blower

toddj

Reaction score
(I'm not entirely knowledgeable on the subject) But I would make sure the SD card doesn't have any remnants of rooting (update.zip, flash img, etc.). Maybe someone else can help you think of more things to check for before turning it in.

OP
jcboyett

jcboyett

Reaction score
yeah, it won't be too hard to either fully erase erthang that's on the sdcard, or just take it out before I take it to them. They won't miss it. Another thing I was curious about was if verizon's insurance does protect water damage? Also, is it gonna be a big deal that it's on 2.0.1 and not 2.1???

toddj

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain if you're paying for insurance that it covers almost 100% everything (not bricking though ha), but you have to pay the deductible. I wouldn't imagine it being a big big deal that it wasn't 2.1, but if you can load up 2.1 OTA on it somehow that would probably reduce possible suspicion

hedney3

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
yeah, it won't be too hard to either fully erase erthang that's on the sdcard, or just take it out before I take it to them. They won't miss it. Another thing I was curious about was if verizon's insurance does protect water damage? Also, is it gonna be a big deal that it's on 2.0.1 and not 2.1???
no the 2.1/2.0.1 isnt a problem. also if you had insure than water should be covered so you are safe. and yes make sure to revert back to stock and just back up your sd card on your pc. rooting voids any warranties and even insurance in some cases

bennyj

Reaction score
If you have insurance through assurion, you dont need to take it to verizon. Just call asurion and put in your claim. You will mail the phone back directly to them.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If u are really worried and have insurance then u can call and claim lost your phone and wont cost any extra money. Just an fyi...

OP
jcboyett

jcboyett

Reaction score
That sucks, oh well. Guess I can't do anything about that. If the refurb is faulty then it's on them and they have to send me another one. I know a verizon customer that had an omnia and they sent her two faulty phones when she made claims and they finally just upgraded her to the omnia II. Maybe I'll get the Incredible... wishful thinking huh. Anyways, I know for sure the roots gone, I've used the same process to change the boot logo and it always breaks root, I even checked by booting up recovery and it was the stock 2(a) recovery image. So I guess now I all need to do is make the claim. Do I go into verizon for this or what???

toddj

Reaction score
Not even a deductable?
Used to be $50.00 I dont know what the charge is now.I have not used it in a couple of years.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
It seems like it was $90 for a smart phone now. You'll have to double check that though, I have never had to do it.