Droid to Droid specialized FTP

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by applesauce, Dec 28, 2009.

1. applesauce

applesauce New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Both my friend and I just got droids. I want to find a way to push large files back and forth between our phones when we are not standing in the same room. There might be a way to have an ftp server on one phone and a client on the other, but I was hoping maybe there is an android app that lets you share files to those you trust. If I have a file I want him to try or the other way around I can pass it to him

If it doesnt exist it might be a good idea. Email is only so useful and has file limits, so if I can use my data plan to send files that would be great.

2. Sleeve

Sleeve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to do FTP, SwiFTP for the server side, DroidFTP for the client.

Could try RemoteFile and any browser for non-FTP. It's a new app and I haven't used it. Allows you to offer any file via HTTP access, but seems to require wifi.

3. texfarmer

texfarmer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    trouble seeing excel file

Downloaded Excel files via usb from pc. Using app " Documents To Go". Can view the first two files just fine. Can't view the third. Where did it go? I can view all three on pc from sd card.

#3 texfarmer, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. applesauce

applesauce New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    with out a server though

I was trying to find a solution that didnt require a stand alone server. I wanted something to send files between two verizon droid phones both with unlimited data plans. Since I havent found anything yet, I have gotten a network nas drive.

I wanted to take verizon up on their claim of a phone that goes to all the far reaches of the internet but so far no hulu and no tv shows from abc, nbc and other channels. Until then i have to do the next best thing, keep videos on my network storage drive and download then when I need them. I finally got the online ftp function of a newer version western digital mybook world edition. I cant seem to get downloads faster then 100-120 kbps. Has anyone else seen a limit on ftp file transfers for verizon or atts networks.

I will get a chance to try accessing the ftp from another computer at another house, but until then I dont get why its so slow of a speed.

5. SGTiger

SGTiger Member

Ratings:
    +0

? He's not talking about having a stand alone server. You run the ftp server software on one droid and the client on the other droid.

6. jfourman

jfourman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This may work

This may work for you:

TwonkyMedia Goes Mobile with Android Launch at CES:

TwonkyMedia Goes Mobile with Android Launch at CES | Business Wire

It's free. It will make each phone a DLNA media server. You'll both need to be connected to the same wireless network. You can access the phones from your browser by entering the URL: http://<IP_of_your_phone>:9000. This will give you a web interface to the phone in which you can adjust settings as well as access your media.

You will have to play around with it. I have only connected from another PC or DLNA client (PS3, WD TV Live), not phone-to-phone. I'm also not sure if you can access anything other than media of pics, videos and music.

Worth a try.

Update: I just tried to access my own phone with the TwonkServer running using Dolphin brower (simulating phone-to-phone). I am able to see and play my media and download/transfer pics, music and video. The only issue is that the setup will only allow you to see media types of photos, music and video....not any other type of document.

#6 jfourman, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  7. applesauce

applesauce New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No i agree there are plenty of things to do while you are on a wifi network. You can control a pc, you can actually have an ftp server on the phone. But at that point you can just plug them into the pc or swap memory cards as well.

I live an hour away from my friend and I want to be able to share files between us (only over 3g)

As far as I know there is no ftp server for android that actually works on verizon wireless, over 3g. I can use a client and connect to other ftps on the web but I cant host one for some reason. It must be verizon's firewall. I don't think you'll find anyone with a working ftp server that isn't wifi.

8. tbever

tbever Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think FTPserver will do this. Check the android market. I use this to push files from the desktop to the Droid (see the thread on this) over wifi but there is a setting to allow this over 3G as well. The problem is that the IP is dynamic over 3G although there is a way to work around this as well using dynamic DNS.

9. Hiroller173

Hiroller173 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use FTP Server and AndFTP (client). I use Filezilla on my PC and AndFTP works well with it.

For transfers between my two Droids, I use Bluetooth File Transfer. Took some effort to get them working together, but have patience and it will work.

10. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Hulu and such sites are not an issue with the network, but the phone's software. Once Flash 10.1 releases you'll have all sites like Hulu working :)

11. SGTiger

SGTiger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can connect to my Droid from my computer using FileZilla client STRICTLY over 3G. I use the "public" IP address that comes up at the top of the FTPServer. I know what you are thinking and YES, my wireless is off *and* I told FTPServer to only accept connections via 3G.

This tells me that Verizon is not blocking incoming ports. I tried both port 2002 and 1024 just for testing. Outgoing ports is not blocked either as I can ftp out using the Estrong File Explorer.

I can see no reason why two Droids could not use ftp via Verizon's 3G.

12. applesauce

applesauce New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried that as well, maybe there was a setting issue. I will try it again. I believe I even emailed the creator of that ftpserver and he said it was being blocked.

I will try it one more time. Any chance you can see what setting you might have had in place.

update: ya i tried it again ftpserver on my droid is showing no activity. My computer filezilla client shows its keeps trying but cant connect.

#12 applesauce, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
Search tags for this page
cannot connect filezilla client in ftpdroid

share my droids internet conection to another droid

share my droids internet connection to another droid

why don't active ftp connects work on droid verizon