Droid to Car

PetrolHead

Reaction score
I would like to know this as well!

Me too! Anyone figure this out yet?

I think it depends on your stereo.

Kind of, all you need is a USB stereo. A USB equipped stereo will be able to pull play audio off of the SD card...but would the Droid be able to play all audio through the USB? Streaming audio, GPS, and Voice in particular. Most USB radios will also power or charge the USB device so you could get power and audio out of one connection.

Reaction score
The head unit in my car has a usb port and can read files off devices, but you cannot control the sound from the device. No streaming radio or anything like that.

VitsDroid

Reaction score
I discovered today that i dont need headphones with a mic, i use my regular skull candy buds and when i get a call i hear through them and speak through the regular mic. It was cool cause i Hooked this up to the aux port in our sienna and had speaker phone through my car speakers and had my droid in the car mount about 2 feet away and the peeps i was talking to had no idea i was on Speaker. Totally awesome.

And Slacker radio sounded great too. 3G works great , not a single interruption of radio while on a 2 hour drive doing errands.

Last edited:

erfoster

Reaction score
A lot of head units these days are BT capable. I picked one up, and it's awesome. It automatically stops music when a call comes in and resumes it when you hang up, and the sound quality is great. Most people can't tell they're on speaker either. You can optionally configure it to play all phone audio, which is handy if you want to use your phone to stream radio. Personally, I have Sirius, so I don't use that option often, but it's there when I feel like a change.

Sp3aK

Reaction score
Anthony Sullivan here for the Jupiter Jack! (https://www.freejupiterjack.com/2/?)

No I'm actually not kidding. I saw this at Staples and after seeing it on TV I thought I would give it a shot. It worked perfectly right out of the box. Great hands free, built in mic, etc.

It was only $20 at the store and you might even find it for cheaper somewhere else. I like the Jupiter Jack since it's so cheap and you can take it into any car. It came with adapters to fit just about every phone. It has a 2.5mm plug coming out of it, comes with a 3.5mm adapter.

The other thing is that a lot of CD players for cars have built in bluetooth now and extension mic's. You could go that route.

*EDIT*
Did not want to bump an old topic for this but I wanted to reply to someone a few posts down who quoted my post: I got mine at a retail location (Staples) and only paid $20 for it. No online/phone ordering.

Last edited:

droidreajoh

Reaction score
Irasparks- I just sent you a private message with a link to the PIE direct audio input for your radio. It will be your best sounding option by far!

I have had a pie interface on my F150 since '06. I plug my Xm and mp3 into it. When I get the droid (12/17) it will be plugged into it (only one device at a time on my set up). It is great, period.

skidemn

Reaction score
Multiple devices...

Irasparks- I just sent you a private message with a link to the PIE direct audio input for your radio. It will be your best sounding option by far!

I have had a pie interface on my F150 since '06. I plug my Xm and mp3 into it. When I get the droid (12/17) it will be plugged into it (only one device at a time on my set up). It is great, period.

If you have a factory external CD changer or rear seat entertainment, you can use PIE's X3 system which gives you 3 auxiliary inputs instead of the one.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Anthony Sullivan here for the Jupiter Jack! (https://www.freejupiterjack.com/2/?)

No I'm actually not kidding. I saw this at Staples and after seeing it on TV I thought I would give it a shot. It worked perfectly right out of the box. Great hands free, built in mic, etc.

It was only $20 at the store and you might even find it for cheaper somewhere else. I like the Jupiter Jack since it's so cheap and you can take it into any car. It came with adapters to fit just about every phone. It has a 2.5mm plug coming out of it, comes with a 3.5mm adapter.

The other thing is that a lot of CD players for cars have built in bluetooth now and extension mic's. You could go that route.
i did some research on the "jupiter jack" here's wut i found:

Ordered a device called Jupiter Jack from a TV promotional advertisement. The offer was for 1 Unit priced at $19.99 with and option to upgrade it with a better battery for an additional $9.99 plus a [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]shipping [COLOR=blue !important]cost[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. When called to place the order the phone automatic system stated that if you order 1 unit the 2nd unit would be FREE and that you additional units at the same price ($19.99) plus upgrade, plus S&H.

I received the 2 units (one FREE); however the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]invoice[/COLOR][/COLOR] reflected 1 unit at the update price of $29.98 plus a shipping charge of $6.99. In addition there were 3 additional shipping charges of $6.99 each and $9.99 for upgrade on the second unit. Neither the phone automatic system nor the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]TV [COLOR=blue !important]advertisement[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] stated that there would be any additional charges for the 2nd unit or additional shipping charges for EACH unit listed in the invoice.

The package received was 6” x 7” x 2” wit a total weight of 12 OZ; it was mailed via USPS from Van Nuys, CA to Temecula, CA via Standard [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]priority [COLOR=blue !important]mail[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and the total shipping cost added to a whopping $27.96.

I contacted the supplier regarding the extra charges and shipping cost and after talking to a manager I was offered $10 credit from the total invoice of $73.56. The total extra charges were for $30.96. Furthermore, the total tax amount was for $5.63 which was calculated on the merchandise price and the shipping charges.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
For my Sirius I use an FM modulator that plugs directly into the antenna jack on the headunit. Then the car antenna plugs into the modulator. It has a relay that disconnects the car antenna when the sirius is ON. I don't recall the plug type offhand, but there is probably an adaptor.

The only thing I am not sure about is the modulation. Since the DROID doesn't have that function, like the SIRIUS unit does. But there has to be similar devices that simply hook up via relay.