Droid through car stereo - bt/usb?

Overcomer

Reaction score
I read through most of the threads on this and didn't see a clear answer, but I think I know. I am looking at replacing my stock head unit in my vehicle to on that is bluetooth capable. I understand how all of that works with streaming pandora...hands free calling etc...

The head unit I am looking at is a jvc kd-avx77 and it also has a usb connection. I understand that I can mount my sd card and access media that way as well. While the phone is plugged in via usb will it charge the phone also? I believe it will, but I am not sure.

Can I be connected via bluetooth for phone/streaming music and also be connected via usb for charging and sd card media withouth issues? Last question - and I think the answer is no - if i am only connected via usb will I have any phone capabilities (hands free etc) or internet streaming.

Thanks for the help guys....

Reaction score
I don't see an issue with the phone being plugged and charging while being mounted to access your media, I am unsure how it will work while being connected via bluetooth at the same time. Find out if you can do it all with bluetooth first, you should be able to establish the connection, access your media and have it for phone use all in one. Yes you wont be able to charge it at the same time but get a car charger. I haven't tried this theory but I think having it connected to USB and bluetooth at the same time would complicate the issue of isolating what (voice/music) goes where and getting the head unit to do what you want it to.

beowolf

Reaction score
Let me ask a somewhat related question:
Has anyone seen an automatic audio switch device? Here's what I'm looking for - I want the Droid and another device (XM portable) to go into my aux in. I'd like a device that lets the Driod override the XM when there is audio present - nav, call, etc.

Please don't suggest XM on the Droid - I don't feel like giving XM any more money, and I spend alot of time in rural areas where network is iffy.

OP
O

Overcomer

Reaction score
Last question - and I think the answer is no - if i am only connected via usb will I have any phone capabilities (hands free etc) or internet streaming.

Yes.[/QUOTE]

So if I had went with a unit that did not have bluetooth and was using the USB to run the phone through the car speakers....do you have to use the Droid mic to talk on the phone. I have a GM vehicle with onstar, so can I use that mic already in the vehicle...does wiring harness automatically take care of this? I guess the same question would apply if I used the Aux input on the headunit too.

sointense

Reaction score
There is no why to get any streaming or phone audio functionality for the Driod thru the USB connector.
The best you can hope for is mounting the SDcard and playing music files as if a thumb drive was connected to USB.

From what I've read, in order stream You tube, Pandora or other internet related sound, it would be necessary to pair the droid via Bluethooth and relying on the A2DP protocol for stereo to your autos media center.

If this also provides phone support for talk I don't know

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yup, re-read the OP. You're just mounting the SD card via USB. If you have a head unit that can play the media on the SD card then it can access the media via USB mount. That's it. No audio via USB.

Let me ask a somewhat related question:
Has anyone seen an automatic audio switch device? Here's what I'm looking for - I want the Droid and another device (XM portable) to go into my aux in. I'd like a device that lets the Driod override the XM when there is audio present - nav, call, etc.

Please don't suggest XM on the Droid - I don't feel like giving XM any more money, and I spend alot of time in rural areas where network is iffy.
There are devices out there to provide audio interrupt. You'd need to Google as I don't have a link handy but they're used for car stereo integration like this.