Droid Technical Issue Summary

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Bluetooth Voice Dialing is an Android Limitation(and always has been), not a Motorola Limitation. Ugh, noobtastic.

OP
J

jwd45244

Reaction score
Isn't the title of this post misleading? How can there be technical issues on a device that's not out yet? Technical issues implies there's something wrong (a hiccup) with the droid. I'm sure there will be issues, but we don't know them yet. Anything else at this point isn't a technical issue as much as it's by design. Yes?

You may have inferred that from the title of this thread. I did not imply it at all. For example, there is a large amount of teeth-gnashing over the lacking of pinch-zoom in the browser and other apps. Is is wrong or a "hiccup"? I don't know. It is a fact. That is all.

However, some (many<?>) people have had issues with the Auto-focus capability of the camera part of this phone. I would say for sure that is wrong and is a hiccup. The consensus from people in the know is that this will be solved in short order.

The issue surrounding no Bluetooth voice dialing is part of previous versions of Android and it appears to be part of Android 2.0 also. I have a funny feeling that Google may change this in a future update (Google tends to listen to customers).

All I wanted to do was to quickly summarize what issues had been uncovered at the time of my post. There have been new ones and there will be more.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
jwd, you're right and it is a good topic. just because a phone isn't out yet doesn't mean we can't talk about it.. that's why there are over 400 members registered in, what, 11 days?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
jwd, you're right and it is a good topic. just because a phone isn't out yet doesn't mean we can't talk about it.. that's why there are over 400 members registered in, what, 11 days?

675 members ;)

Trip

Reaction score
I'm wondering about the Droid and my Chrysler My Gig bluetooth connection for dialing. The My gig doesnt connect to the phone as a headset, it connects as something else (I'll have to go pull the user manual), the numbers/contacts etc are stored on the vehicle side and the car dials through the phone, not sure if it will work or not.

My guess is if it will connect, the voice dialing will work since the car will decide what number is being dialed and send it to the phone. Time will tell I guess :)

** Edit **
Just checked and it connects using the hands free protocol, and yes I did google it already, the droid does have the hfp 1.5 so it might work, have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it said 431 when i looked, but i probably looked in the wrong spot. or we had some huge growth in the last few minutes! :icon_ banana:

ToddP0530

Reaction score
Isn't the title of this post misleading? How can there be technical issues on a device that's not out yet? Technical issues implies there's something wrong (a hiccup) with the droid. I'm sure there will be issues, but we don't know them yet. Anything else at this point isn't a technical issue as much as it's by design. Yes?

You may have inferred that from the title of this thread. I did not imply it at all. For example, there is a large amount of teeth-gnashing over the lacking of pinch-zoom in the browser and other apps. Is is wrong or a "hiccup"? I don't know. It is a fact. That is all.

However, some (many<?>) people have had issues with the Auto-focus capability of the camera part of this phone. I would say for sure that is wrong and is a hiccup. The consensus from people in the know is that this will be solved in short order.

The issue surrounding no Bluetooth voice dialing is part of previous versions of Android and it appears to be part of Android 2.0 also. I have a funny feeling that Google may change this in a future update (Google tends to listen to customers).

All I wanted to do was to quickly summarize what issues had been uncovered at the time of my post. There have been new ones and there will be more.
Agreed ... the camera is an issue. That's not a hiccup. It is hit or miss and I'm concerned that is a hardware issue and not software, but I would hope for the latter. The pinch zoom seems, to me, by design. I'm guessing VZW, motorola and google all knew the aggressive marketing strategy VZW had in mind and was already undertaking. ATT is suing them for jimminy crickets over a truthful ad (there's a map for that). Yes, there will be flaws, hopefully known fatal.

TarzanMan

Reaction score
There is a compatibility list for android and different models of bluetooth handsets. Google it.

To my knowledge, Android doesn't support voice dialing yet

** Edit **
Just checked and it connects using the hands free protocol, and yes I did google it already, the droid does have the hfp 1.5 so it might work, have to wait and see.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
98d1158920230-kindergartens-oerlikon-zurich-hijack.gif

dweezle

Reaction score
The most troubling issue that I've read about on the Motorola Owners Forum, is that a number of Droids are crashing and rebooting. That seems to be a problem with some, not all. When replaced, the new phones seemed to work fine.

b8b

Reaction score
Here's my #1 issue: I just can't live without being able to accept calendar invites, not having more than one line for a signature (death in my business) and not being able to open vcards as attachments (I get assigned clients this way, also death in my biz on the road).

dallas_tx

Reaction score
Issues with exchange sync

I would also mention that getting the droid to sync with your corporate exchange server is hit-or-miss, depending on the version of exchange server and patch level they have running. There are many threads on it over at the Motorola support forums, including here and here.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seeing as the phone is very new, the apps are very new, they are likely to change. ;). Those are very valid points though. Something that they need to look at for those business users who need things that certain of us plain folk don't. :)

txskeets

Reaction score
FYI - Sync works perfectly with the Moto Droid. I dont have to push any buttons on the phone to send it to bluetooth or anything, I just go to "Phone" on my Sync system tell it who I want to call and it makes the call and sends it though the Sync system (just as its done with any other phone I have had Synced to it)