Droid teardown shows Qualcomm chip baseband chip inside. Possibility to Root?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Quickster357, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Quickster357

Quickster357 New Member

2. lolcatz

lolcatz New Member

Awesome!,

thanks for the links!... i'm very happy to see some interest in gaining access to the NV memory...

:)
  3. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Hate to bump an old thread, but would it be worth it to take this thing apart and use thermal paste on the cpu? With no air circulation, I doubt it.. what do you guys think?
  4. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

What would be the objective?
  5. Sam

keep the temp down.. it works really well on desktop cpus but i think its because it is aided by air flow. just not really sure if there would be any benefit.
  6. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Thermal paste aids in heat transfer, usually between something like a cpu and a heat sink for example. Now the processor on the board inside the Droid isnt going to have any type of heat sink or median to transfer heat too.....so no I dont think thermal paste would help out.
  7. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

I think based on the teardown site, and the folks doing the overclocking (threads), it was kinda decided that the metal area on the back of the phone above the battery and right of the camera lense is a large heatsink for the cpu. If so, it might be easier to rig up some type of external "thing" to keep this plate cooled, when you need it.

Craig
  8. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

Yes I know, but it's a phone and is designed a little differently, if it would help, you can bet motorola would have or did do it.
  9. cpjr

cpjr New Member

**knocks on wood** Ive been running at 950mhz constant for a week now without any heat issues.

Unlike my xbox 360 that I bought right after they came out......It finally died from overheating, disassembled and reflowed the mainboard (that was fun).....fixed the x-clamps and used a much better thermal paste....its been running like a champ now for about the last year :D
  10. Fuzzball

Fuzzball New Member

If there's a piece of metal with a consistent force pushing it onto the CPU, there's a benafit. However, if it's not always being pushed down, then it may cause more problems that it's worth. Good quality thermal paste is electrically conductive due to it usually having microscopic shards of metal in the paste.

The metal of the heatsink or heatspreader along with the heat source, CPU in this case, are not perfectly smooth; they have microscopic pits and valeys. When the two pieces meet, the metal on metal contact transfers heat well, but the pits and valleys are filled with air and air is not a good thermal conductor. The point of the thermal paste is to fill in these gaps with a compound that is a better thermal conductor that air.

If there is a heat spreader on top of the CPU and there is no thermal paste, there would be a benefit. That being said, most modern day CPUs don't have the die exposed and employ a permanently attached heat spreader to protect the die. Depending on the processor, the heat spreader may not be sufficient and a heatsink and thermal paste would be utilized; practically all PC processors require a heatsink, but my knowledge is limited on the ARM CPUs.
  11. Sam

Ok, thanks folks. I guess I didn't realize exactly what thermal paste was used for (rather, HOW it worked), so it was just kinda a shot in the dark... thanks for elaborating ;)
  12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

This is good to hear. I have one of those "first release" systems that just died last week. Ordered a x-clamp system, should be here Mon. I was hoping all the x-clamp hype wasn't BS. Good to see it worked for someone.
Search tags for this page

audio chipset droid bionic

baseband chip inside

droid 1 chipset

hack android of qualcomm chip

hacking qualcomm chipset

is the droid x2 a qualcomm phone

motorola droid ultra audio codec tear down chips

motorola droid x2 chipset base

qualcom chipset android root

qualcomm baseband teardown hwawei