Droid taking a beating.

rlb

Reaction score
Did the papa Johns taste as good without the garlic butter?

A few carpet falls from the nightstand, and a few slips of the hand onto my desk at work is the worst mine has seen.

bigthinker

Reaction score
Nothing yet....as far as damage....its been dropped a couple of times onto wooden floors from about 3 feet, battery door comes off but issues. TrucknGolf, Next time your going for pizza, grab me a Pepperoni Mushroom would you? :motdroidhoriz: Hold the Garlic Butter:)

cplus

Reaction score
One good drop made small pits in the corner of the shroud... Then, last Saturday, I was using Orux with some offline maps of my local ski resort to record my tracks for the day and try to discover new stashes of powder in the trees.. I kept it in a VELCRO inside pocket of my jacket. The velcro failed and my phone dropped somewhere deep in the middle of a tight tree run. I was completely beside myself and I didn't have a tracking app OR a remote data wipe app installed. (I didn't know the velcro was failing yet as I believed I had just put it away hastily and didn't close the velcro.) Four of us went back to the top trying to find the same path in the trees. We spread out and starting along the trail and began calling it. Miraculously we found it after a few attempts. THEN, two runs later I PUT IT IN THE SAME POCKET, (because I didn't yet know it was the velcro) AND LOST IT AGAIN IN A MAJOR POWDER FIELD. Only one friend would come with me this time. As we began the same technique of spreading out and calling it, I began to have a more precise idea of where I may have lost it. (Right after a big crash into deep powder..) So we went there and called it and I could here it ringing way under the snow so I went to it and dug it out! Oh yeah, and guess which ring tone is my favorite that I was of course using that day.. GLACIAL GROOVE!! Its SO loud when ringer is turned up all the way. (Geez, the DROID speaker is just loud period, right?) LOL So anyway, all is well that ends well... We decided that it was actually kinda fun trying to find the phone...after we had found it again of course.

Oh yeah, so the housing of the DROID seems extremely well sealed. I wouldn't ever test it against moisture unecessarily but mine is still working just fine. I'm SOOOO happy to still have it. I was seriously SAD when I lost it.. both times.

Guchi

Reaction score
This.....

guchi-albums-my-cracked-screen-picture248-picsay-1261292171.jpg

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
I had scratched my screen on my old phone while having keys in the same pocket. Now with my Droid, I don't even like to have chap-stick in the same pocket. I too have treated mine like a newborn, especially before I got my Innocase.

gruve

Reaction score
What I miss about my BB is that it could take a beating, you could drop it on concrete pick it up and not worrying about it being broke.

bigthinker

Reaction score
One good drop made small pits in the corner of the shroud... Then, last Saturday, I was using Orux with some offline maps of my local ski resort to record my tracks for the day and try to discover new stashes of powder in the trees.. I kept it in a VELCRO inside pocket of my jacket. The velcro failed and my phone dropped somewhere deep in the middle of a tight tree run. I was completely beside myself and I didn't have a tracking app OR a remote data wipe app installed. (I didn't know the velcro was failing yet as I believed I had just put it away hastily and didn't close the velcro.) Four of us went back to the top trying to find the same path in the trees. We spread out and starting along the trail and began calling it. Miraculously we found it after a few attempts. THEN, two runs later I PUT IT IN THE SAME POCKET, (because I didn't yet know it was the velcro) AND LOST IT AGAIN IN A MAJOR POWDER FIELD. Only one friend would come with me this time. As we began the same technique of spreading out and calling it, I began to have a more precise idea of where I may have lost it. (Right after a big crash into deep powder..) So we went there and called it and I could here it ringing way under the snow so I went to it and dug it out! Oh yeah, and guess which ring tone is my favorite that I was of course using that day.. GLACIAL GROOVE!! Its SO loud when ringer is turned up all the way. (Geez, the DROID speaker is just loud period, right?) LOL So anyway, all is well that ends well... We decided that it was actually kinda fun trying to find the phone...after we had found it again of course.

Oh yeah, so the housing of the DROID seems extremely well sealed. I wouldn't ever test it against moisture unecessarily but mine is still working just fine. I'm SOOOO happy to still have it. I was seriously SAD when I lost it.. both times.

CPlus.....WOW, what a story.....I don't think it could get any better!!! Droid Rules:motdroidhoriz:

ShowTime

Reaction score
About a week after getting mine I had it in my pocket and went to get in my car (which sits incredibly low to the ground) and it slide out of my pocket and wham! on to the cement in the parking lot, ending up screen side down. Picked it up and was relieved to see everything still worked fine and I've been extra careful with it since (I keep it in my hand when getting in and out of the car and as soon as I'm in it goes directly in the car dock). But I'm still left with a tiny chip/scuff mark on the bottom right corner near the Verizon logo. Pisses me off daily to see it.

hyperlite456

Reaction score
I put mine on my lap while driving on occasion (not a good idea) and one night while tired, I stopped at a gas station and quickly stepped out of my truck. Luckily I had a rubber case on, so no scratches, but the slider seemed to wiggle slightly. Not too bad. I refuse to put anything in the same pocket though. Just gets full of lint after a while so I have to clean it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What I miss about my BB is that it could take a beating, you could drop it on concrete pick it up and not worrying about it being broke.
Provided RIM's servers weren't down you could actually use the device :)

ShowTime

Reaction score
I put mine on my lap while driving on occasion (not a good idea) and one night while tired, I stopped at a gas station and quickly stepped out of my truck. Luckily I had a rubber case on, so no scratches, but the slider seemed to wiggle slightly. Not too bad. I refuse to put anything in the same pocket though. Just gets full of lint after a while so I have to clean it.

used to do the same with my old phone. Occasionally I would do the same thing and forget it was on my lap when I got out. Not takin the chance with the Droid. It's always in the car dock now ;) And I'm the same... I had to reorganize my whole pocket layout and move my keys and wallet so the Droid could have it's own pocket.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
soon as i bought the droid and i made the ultimate decision i was going to keep it. I bought a body glove and an invisishield. I have been careful but i must admit it has swan dived glass first out of my hands a few times....but everything is all good.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
drop mine all the time. usually results in gararge sale. cover one way, battery another. thing is dang tuff.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I was at the gym on the elliptical machine and when I was reaching up to turn it off, my arm caught in my headphone wire; the phone shot from the waist band of my shorts and came to a stop 15 feet away in front of the treadmills. I picked it up, looked it over and was pleasantly surprised to see no scratches or any other damage.

So that was awesome there was no damage. I bought a case and screen protector.

Ironically I pulled the phone out of my pocket today and somehow, even though I had only dropped it once and caused no damage, I somehow managed(with my phone in my pocket) to dent the external speaker cover :( I haven't noticed any sound quality change and the dent isn't 'noticeable' to the eyes very well, but I can feel it when I run my finger over it.

ShowTime

Reaction score
I was at the gym on the elliptical machine and when I was reaching up to turn it off, my arm caught in my headphone wire; the phone shot from the waist band of my shorts and came to a stop 15 feet away in front of the treadmills. I picked it up, looked it over and was pleasantly surprised to see no scratches or any other damage.

So that was awesome there was no damage. I bought a case and screen protector.

Ironically I pulled the phone out of my pocket today and somehow, even though I had only dropped it once and caused no damage, I somehow managed(with my phone in my pocket) to dent the external speaker cover :( I haven't noticed any sound quality change and the dent isn't 'noticeable' to the eyes very well, but I can feel it when I run my finger over it.

Is it right in/near the middle? Mine has it too now that I run my finger over it. Never noticed/thought to check before. Maybe nothing you/I did.... anyone else notice this? Part of the design?