Droid Sync with Exchange 2003

jwhizzy

Reaction score
In order for Exchange syncronization to take place I must be able to put a certificate file on the Droid. The Droid will only except the cert files in .p12 format and in order to extract that file in that format is to provide the Private Key which is a deal breaker for me. I should not have to provide the Private Key. What is the reasoning behind only excepting SSL certificate files in .p12 format? Seems like this could cause issues with many environments.

rza49311

Reaction score
Fyi

We use a cert and couldn't get email working. After updating our Exchange 2003 server from SP1 to SP2, email worked like a champ on the Droid.

Jen Furry

Reaction score
After looking into my own Exchange Server 2003, I can tell you the the PIN is not the problem. I have that box UNCHECKED (so that a PIN was not enforced), and I am still having the same issue as everyone else.

I wonder if it has something to do with installing certificates on the Droid.

Anybody else want to chime in?
I was synced w/ push from Windows XP professional (corporate) w/ required pin and log in, also verizon.net account pushed, as did gmail. Working beautifully & w/o any hiccups until this past week. (working for approx. a month prior). Also corporate calendar and contacts sync worked until now. I am also getting the black screen of frustration w/ & w/o wifi, rebooted, power played w/, battery out & back in. The only fix was to delete the account and add it back in. I believe it happened when I attempted to turn off the notification sound but not sure. I also intermittently (between black screen attempts) got force close errors. Interestingly when this all occurred I also stopped getting text notification sounds.
It seems to be working fine since re-adding the Outlook account. Extremely annoying that this occurs but at least it was fixable.

Jen Furry

Reaction score
After thought....
If the issue is initial set up, ensure that you type in the domain name in the Domain/Username box that auto fills but is not quite complete. Try adding webmail before the server name and check both boxes Use secure connection (SSL) and Accept all SSL certificates. Mine was quirky and will not work unless I have both checked.
Good Luck and than you all for guidance as I initially set up my phone.

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
Ok, I have read through this thread and have one question that isnt clear. Currently on a stock Droid does Exchange work where PIN is required? My company has the PIN required after 15 Minutes. I understand that if I buy Touchdown it will work. But I would like to not have to buy another software to do so. Thanks for the help.

BzB

Reaction score
Ok, I have read through this thread and have one question that isnt clear. Currently on a stock Droid does Exchange work where PIN is required? My company has the PIN required after 15 Minutes. I understand that if I buy Touchdown it will work. But I would like to not have to buy another software to do so. Thanks for the help.

i don't know the answer to your question, but i'd recommend you at least try touchdown for a few hours. you can return it for a refund within 24hrs if you don't like it. if you depend on your phone for work email then touchdown is a must have. miles better than the oem email app imo (coming from a former blackberry user).

i don't think google is interested in developing an email app that provides anything more than bare bones exchange integration/support, which i can understand is perfectly fine for some people.

good luck!

MayneMan

Reaction score
Exchange ActiveSync Black Blank Screen Fix

Ok so I had the problem that everyone is talking about with trying to set up my work email on my Droid through Exchange and getting a blank black screen on my inbox.

Without dragging this out I just ended up redoing my Microsoft Outlook on my computer. What I noticed is that when i originally set up my work email whenever I would recieve an email that was work related, it would send them to my personal folder inbox instead of the Default Outlook inbox. DUH.....I dont recall setting it up that way be some how It happened. So in my situation whenever my Droid would try to sync with the Exchange server It was pointing to the default inbox to pull emails and I had them in my personal folder and by default exchange is not set to pulling from a personal folder. Once I re-did my Outlook and set it up the right way my email flooded my Droid. I have it set to Sync a month's worth. Now I Love this device. I unistalled Touchdown Free version and I'm just using the Dorid's email and it works great.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
i don't know the answer to your question, but i'd recommend you at least try touchdown for a few hours. you can return it for a refund within 24hrs if you don't like it.
...or install the trial. Personally, I find Touchdown well worth $20.

BzB

Reaction score
Personally, I find Touchdown well worth $20.

i was fortunate enough to jump on board when it was only $10. i'd gladly pay $20 for it though. there's really no comparison between this and the stock email app for exchange imo.

TLearnC

Reaction score
I just received a new Motorola Droid yesterday, and then spent six hours trying to get it to sync with my Exchange Server. I am running SBS 2003.

At first, I was using a self-signed certificate. This worked with my Windows Mobile phones in the past, as long as I installed the certificate on the phone. I read in several forums where the Droid will not work without a third-party-signed certificate. Also, from my experience and from the forums, the Droid can not install certificates, even though it has a feature that appears to allow it.

So I bought a signed certificate from Go Daddy. Unfortunately, this did not change anything. I still could not sync.

I found this manual for setting up a Droid to sync with Exchange:

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...ges/Static_files/Microsoft-Exchange-Email.pdf

I followed the steps, but no luck. I had already done everything it described. However, at the end was a link to an Exchange Server troubleshooting guide:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39440/p_country_code/US

I followed the steps listed under "Exchange 2003 SP2 Instructions," but my properties window was missing the button for "Device Security...." Now what?

After some more forum surfing, I finally found the answer. SBS 2003 did not automatically install Exchange Server SP2. It had its own, scaled-down service pack. I then read where you could install SP2 on an SBS system. I did that this morning, and after my server rebooted, I was finally able to sync my phone.

This may not be the cause of your problem, but I hope some of the links above will help you or someone else.

sthomas

Reaction score
Same problem. They want people to switch to Google Apps from Exchange. By putting the corporate tool on the droid, then not having it work for Exchange, it encorages migration to Google Apps. Clearly they know how to fix it and would have if it did not serve their dubious corporate purposes. Microsoft used to do this crap all the time.

insane_ai

Reaction score
Mine is working fine - here's how

I am the admin for my network. I run SBS 2003 Premium R2. A common issue with the SBS server is that it creates and signs its own certificates. Make sure to check the box that says "Accept all ssl certificates" and "Use secure connection(SSL)" on your Droid.

When you configure your email account, make sure that you enter your username as DOMAIN\USERNAME. (The "\" is accessable by pressing alt then space, a popup come up where you can choose the "\" if you accidentally deleted it.)

Enter the full server address, do not accept the default of domain.com. The key to this is the OWA address or the remote web workspace address. If you use myserver.domain.com/exchange to get to owa or myserver.domain.com/remote for the remote web workspace, then use myserver.domain.com for the server setting.

If the connection still fails, check the settings for your mailbox from the Exchange System Manager. Navigate to the mailbox in question, right click and choose 'Exchange Tasks". From the Exchange Task wizard Clcik next then choose "Configure Exchange Features" and click next. On the following screen, make sure all Mobile Services are enabled;"Outlook Mobile Access", "User Initiated Synchronization" and "Up to Date Notifications".
View attachment 6087

If you follow all of that and it still does not work, rerun the CIECW and review your mail settings. Keep in mind if you complete the CEICW, you will create a new certificate and invalidate any others that you have previously issued. I would not complete the CEICW if I found the settings are all correct. Pressing the cancel buttonat the end leaves everything intact.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Same problem. They want people to switch to Google Apps from Exchange. By putting the corporate tool on the droid, then not having it work for Exchange, it encorages migration to Google Apps. Clearly they know how to fix it and would have if it did not serve their dubious corporate purposes. Microsoft used to do this crap all the time.
</tinfoil hat>

Why wouldn't they just omit Exchange support if the goal is to push Google Apps?