Droid Suddenly stopped working, displaying static screen.

Euphoric

Reaction score
Droid screen went black, buttons still lit up, phone felt warm and i could feel it processing something. Pulled out the battery after about half an hour of this, when I tried to turn it back on screen is nothing but static, phone doesnt really turn on ie it's not just a screen failure. Has anyone had this porblem? Is there a way to wipe and reload the operating system on the droid 3?

destructo_low

Reaction score
Droid screen went black, buttons still lit up, phone felt warm and i could feel it processing something. Pulled out the battery after about half an hour of this, when I tried to turn it back on screen is nothing but static, phone doesnt really turn on ie it's not just a screen failure. Has anyone had this porblem? Is there a way to wipe and reload the operating system on the droid 3?

I am having the same issue. I had made a call around 4pm in the evening, and my phone had not been checked for about eight hours afterwards. I happened to think and check it, the bottom soft buttons on the screen light up. I think the phone is just lagging or hung up, so I twiddle the power button a few times to try to give the screen a kick in the ass. Open the keyboard, press a couple of buttons, twiddle the power button more, and nothing. I didn't think to feel the battery for heat. Upon removing and reinserting the battery, I just get a screen full of stationary static. The screen's brightness level will go up and down once or twice as if it's going through boot screens, but it never gives the boot audio. I have never had my phone in water besides it resting on the bathroom counter while I showered; however, the day it quit working, it had not been in a single high humidity environment. It looks like I'm going to have to lose all of my data. My phone isn't rooted, but if it won't boot up, everything is futile apprently. *sigh*

backwoodboys11

Reaction score
sounds just like what mine did friday. called verizon and the said no cure,so they sending me a new one tomorrow

kygirl1226

Reaction score
Static Boot Screen

My Droid 3 has recently started shutting off randomly. When I reboot, it is a rainbow static screen. I have to take the battery out numerous times to get it to start normally. I usually have to hold the OK button on the keyboard while pressing the power button. After a couple of times, it will give me a reboot message screen. Once it does that, I can take the battery out and put it back in, and restart it normally. Very annoying. I haven't put any new programs on the phone in quite some time. Don't want to get a new phone right now and lose everything that I have on this one. I haven;t even had it a whole year yet.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My Droid 3 has recently started shutting off randomly. When I reboot, it is a rainbow static screen. I have to take the battery out numerous times to get it to start normally. I usually have to hold the OK button on the keyboard while pressing the power button. After a couple of times, it will give me a reboot message screen. Once it does that, I can take the battery out and put it back in, and restart it normally. Very annoying. I haven't put any new programs on the phone in quite some time. Don't want to get a new phone right now and lose everything that I have on this one. I haven;t even had it a whole year yet.

Welcome to the droid forums :) hopefully we can get your device straightened out :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

DKDroid3

Reaction score
Won't boot back up, stuck on duo core splash screen, new phone on the way...

I have had my Droid 3 since December and it worked perfectly until sunday morning when the above happened to mine (except for the feeling warm part). I booted into recovery and tried a factory reset, did not work. Mine shows the duo core splash screen and won't get past that. Called Verizon tech support and they said another phone is on the way. Hope this one they send will work...:angry: Hope all my stuff that is backed up on the sd card will still be there too!

freaknormel

Reaction score
iT seems like the droid 3 is a very sensitive phone. I am having keyboard problems, with some keys which sometimes dont work, i have read same from other users, previous droid was doing rondom reboots ( also many other users reported same ) now this thread..
its a nice qwerty phone, but it certainly is not my most "trustable" device ever.

rufireproof

Reaction score
I just had this happen to me. Stock phone (Not rooted) When I turned it on, it went to a white screen that was multicolored static. If I held the power button, the screen would get brighter but that's it. The only way I could power off the phone was to remove the battery. I booted into recovery mode by Holding both volume keys and powering on my phone. I selected recovery mode, and it went to a screen with an android and an "!" in a triangle. After a while a menu popped up and I selected reboot device. The phone operates normally (for now.) I will post an update to see if this is a long term fix, or if it happens again. At least I was able to get into my phone to forward it.

TheShuffler

Reaction score
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one having this issue. I'm rooted and running Maverick. It just started happening Friday night for me. Black screen. Soft keys lit. Notification LED blinking. Pulled the battery, let it sit a good 10 minutes, put it back in, and then got the static screen. Figured I was SOL so I just left the battery out for the rest of the night. Popped it in next morning and it worked just fine. Phone worked all Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I wake up this morning to the same issue though. Again, pulling the battery for over an hour "fixed" it.

I wouldn't mind using my insurance to get a new phone (which would be a D4), but since I've been able to "fix" the phone like this, I have to think that the issue is fixable.

freaknormel

Reaction score
I hope so, because i did not see any solution yet. Today i had to remove-insert battery 3 times after that black screen. Very annoying.

reimer

Reaction score
Same problem with LCD turning light on and off, battery getting warm, no boot, no logo.

send it to Motorola, and repaired IN WARRANTY, part LCD.

Seems that faulty LCD makes a Droid 3 as a NO GO unit.

freaknormel

Reaction score
Many people reported same problem while using mavrick 4.5 rom.

I didint experience it when i was using 2.0, after the upgrade to 4.5 its happening to me too. so looks software

reimer

Reaction score
Many people reported same problem while using mavrick 4.5 rom.

I didint experience it when i was using 2.0, after the upgrade to 4.5 its happening to me too. so looks software

Faulty LCD Droid 3, was running rooted Stock firmware.