Droid Stops Charging Sometimes

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by sbenson, May 18, 2011.

1. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I've noticed the last couple of days that my droid is having trouble charging when plugged into the wall. It charges fine while plugged into a computer.

When I first plug it into the wall, the light comes on indicating that it's receiving a charge but after about a minute the light goes off and it's no longer charging. Once this happens I can't get it to receive a charge except by plugging it into a computer.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Is this a hardware issue or rom issue? I've been using gpa15 for a while now with no problems, so this is strange.

2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    OEM wall charger?

3. comk4ver

comk4ver Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Is the socket on the droid loose? If you can wiggle it; it's probably the phone

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

4. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Yeah, it's the original. I guess I could assume that since it charges while connected to a computer, that the usb cable is not the issue. I wonder if the ac adapter is bad? It's strange because it works sometimes.

5. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    No, socket is like the day I got it.

6. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Alright, after further testing of the ac adapter I'm 99% confident that it is the issue. There's something wrong with the plug where the usb cable connects. When I wiggle the plug, the charging light flickers. If I hold it to one side, the light will stay on. I guess it must have been damaged riding around in my bag. Any suggestions on a replacement?

Are either of these legit?

Amazon 1

Amazon 2

These look like OEMs but sometimes you can't tell. Anyone?

7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Any that Verizon sell are fine, I actually use several that are left over from my BB Days....
    I personally would not buy a $3 one from ebay.

8. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I have vowed to never give Verizon another dime of my money in terms of buying hardware. I will keep looking.

9. Zepius

Zepius Member

Ratings:
    +0
  10. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
  11. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Ratings:
    +9
    The exact thing has happened with my original car charger and both wall chargers after extensive use. My girlfriend has an ally and we always shared adapters. I always thought that was the issue, that maybe each phone's connector was off a little and caused damage over time. Now after reading this I'm inclined to believe that the Motorola cables just don't last that long. I now have onw pretty decent Motorola one that I use for the USB and my main charger (forgot the brand, but bought it at a Verikzon reseller) that I use for the wall since it doesn't have a USB connector to the computer so it has an awesome long length since it doesn't have to conform to USB standards. Got a LG USB one around somewhere as well, but yeah, that's your problem. When that happens it's time for a new one.

12. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Any generic AC-to-USB charger will work, and there are TONS of them available now... it's the new standard. Any Radio Shack/Best Buy/ etc should give you plenty of choices. Look for the ones that allow you to plug in multiple devices at once.

13. joe1980

joe1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This same thing happened to me the day after I flashed one of Pete's original GPA builds. I thought that the new ROM was the problem until I smelled a faint burning smell coming from the wall charger. I've just been charging by plugging into my computer ever since.

14. comk4ver

comk4ver Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I can tell you right now the lg charger won't work... my mom has a dummy phone that came with an lg usb wire to the ac adapter and I thought it'd charge my moto droid and nothing... I am however using my samsung rant mini usb and it works like a charm also for my car charger I'm using a "korean" knock off from cellphoneshop.com And it works a little wiggly but it works. My point is the micro/mini usb wire isn't all that standard yet...
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

15. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Ratings:
    +9
    The LG charger that came with my fiance's LG ally, I can say with the same confidence that I can tell you my son walks and breathes air, charges my og Droid perfectly. I actually prefer that one to the Moto chargers I have since they got away with making the USB cable longer (which may be your issue?) It's laying around somewhere at her house, but if I can steal it away from her I'll post the model # or whatever I can find to see if we are using the same model or not.

Search tags for this page
android charging stops
android phone stops charging

android stops charging

droid stopped charging

droid stops charging

why did my phone stop charging
why does my android stop charging
why does my droid stop charging
why does my droid x stop charging
why does my phone stop charging