Droid stolen....

SEJ

Reaction score
Maybe the theory about it being location dependent is right. It obviously isn't first-come, first-served since droidhero filed his claim about a week after me but got his replacement first. I don't know what else it could be.

Droydfan

Reaction score
droidhero, when did you first file your claim? My Droid suffered water damage on Thanksgiving and I filed a claim with Asurion last Friday. I've checked the Web site and/or called everyday since then (just got off the phone with them right now) and everytime I am told it's still on backorder. How long did you have to wait before you got it?
This exact scenario happened to me, same dates and everything. Still no change on the backorder status. Whats up with that, if you got yours?
Probably was location dependent, as I called today and was informed that it will be at my house tomorrow.

khelek

Reaction score
Found this thread and thought it was interesting and I would weigh in.

First off, sorry to the original poster who lost/had their phone stolen and glad they were able to get their phone in time as they needed it.

Secondly, is anyone here familiar with "Lookout Mobile Security" (formerly flexilis, www.mylookout.com)? That's what I have on my phone and I love it. I don't think the virus scanning is necessary, but the data backup and lost/stolen device locator is super nice. It even allows you to make your phone "scream" from the web if you've misplaced it in the house. I know there are several like apps out there and people have their preferences, but if you don't have a like app on your phone, I highly recommend this one for the missing device locator alone (full disclosure: I'm nothing more than a satisfied customer and am not affiliated with the app or company at all :) ).

Lastly, along the lines of the insurance discussion, I got my phone through the pre-order at Best Buy so that I could have it the first day and I wouldn't have to deal with a mail-in rebate. I got the insurance that they offered, which was $100 deductible (my Droid is well worth it) and seemed to be a great deal (as much as any insurance can be a "great deal"). Just curious if anyone else went this route....

deejay

Reaction score
Found this thread and thought it was interesting and I would weigh in.

First off, sorry to the original poster who lost/had their phone stolen and glad they were able to get their phone in time as they needed it.

Secondly, is anyone here familiar with "Lookout Mobile Security" (formerly flexilis, www.mylookout.com)? That's what I have on my phone and I love it. I don't think the virus scanning is necessary, but the data backup and lost/stolen device locator is super nice. It even allows you to make your phone "scream" from the web if you've misplaced it in the house. I know there are several like apps out there and people have their preferences, but if you don't have a like app on your phone, I highly recommend this one for the missing device locator alone (full disclosure: I'm nothing more than a satisfied customer and am not affiliated with the app or company at all :) ).

Lastly, along the lines of the insurance discussion, I got my phone through the pre-order at Best Buy so that I could have it the first day and I wouldn't have to deal with a mail-in rebate. I got the insurance that they offered, which was $100 deductible (my Droid is well worth it) and seemed to be a great deal (as much as any insurance can be a "great deal"). Just curious if anyone else went this route....

I've been using Lookout for about a week now and like it as a layer of virus/malware protection and backup. However, I've never had any success in getting their website (after I login using my credentials) to locate my phone on a map. Does this working for you?

sorry to hijack the thread but it is relevant to the original post IMHO.

OP
D

droidhero

Reaction score
I haven't heard of this program. But definately something I wanna hear more about. Having a back up of your phone would have been great in my case. And the manual locator from the computer would be a great feature.

Is this program a paid app in the marketplace?

Greenham

Reaction score
Square Trade is also working on a new plan for these phones. They have a standard and an I Phone policy, but their liability is limited to $399 dollars. 2 years of coverage is about $75. When I sked if they would over the Droid, the answer was YES, BUT if it's totaled or lost the most you would get is $399, leaving the last $200 on you. They are looking at a new high $$ phone policy. In the meantime.

WaveSecure
FindMyPhone
Verizon $8/mo insurance

khelek

Reaction score
I've been using Lookout for about a week now and like it as a layer of virus/malware protection and backup. However, I've never had any success in getting their website (after I login using my credentials) to locate my phone on a map. Does this working for you?

When I first got it set up, I had a hard time when it tried to connect to the phone. Apparently it connects and controls the phone using SMS, so the first thing is making sure you have the actual phone number of your phone in your account (and not like I tried to do at one point and use my GV number)

It had been a bit since I first set it up and played with it, but as I was trying to convince a friend that his 3GS was nothing compared to my Droid, he asked if I had an app to help in the event it's lost or stolen. I of course do, and then to prove it I took him to mylookout.com and showed him the cool things the program did. I had no problem connecting to the phone and being able to see where the phone was located on the map.

I hope that's helpful, but if you want to talk more off-thread, feel free to drop me a PM through the forum!

Brian

khelek

Reaction score
I haven't heard of this program. But definately something I wanna hear more about. Having a back up of your phone would have been great in my case. And the manual locator from the computer would be a great feature.

Is this program a paid app in the marketplace?

Nope, the app is completely free. Just go to the search in the Market Place and do a search for "lookout". Or go to Mobile Security vBeta Release 4.3 Application for Android | Communication and point at the QR code with your barcode scanner :)

civEX

Reaction score
What insurance did you guys get? Did you all just get the $6 Asurion Wireless Protection or did you get the $7.99 Total Protection/Extended warrenty one? I figure I should just get the $6 one for lost, stolen, and damaged and use the 1 year droid warrenty since I think I will upgrade after a year.

cheewee

Reaction score
Hi all,
As a giveback to Android users who supported and made tenCube's ADC win possible, we are offering a free lifetime account for Android WaveSecure users.

Just download WaveSecure from Android Market before 31st Jan 2010 to enjoy this free service for as long as you use that Android device.

It's our way of saying thank you. Do help to spread the word to other Android users so they can benefit from it, too!

Don't forget to join us on our Facebook page at WaveSecure | Facebook for the latest updates.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
WaveSecure - Anti-theft and security software for Symbian, Android and Windows Mobile