Droid spontaenously wipes e-mail configuration

Aviedo

Reaction score
Whoever mentioned the Advanced Task Killer, kudos to you on that -- all three of the phones I am seeing this issue on have that installed. So does mine of course, and I haven't lost my e-mail account. I wonder if that could be the cause of this problem! I have some exclusions set in ATK, including the messaging, email, gmail and a few other apps. I do use the "Press to End" widget that kills all the apps quite often but I have never had this issue like my other users have. We all have Droids. Some have had the problem on 2.0, and now all of them have experienced it again on 2.1. One guy has had this happen to him 3 times now, the others all twice.
I have had Advanced Task Killer on my phone from the day I got it back in early November. I did not experience the loss of email settings or my SMS threads until the update that I received on 12/11/2009

tomlist704

Reaction score
I had the same problem yesterday with my tuochdown free trial 2nd day in, thought it was software, will keep trying. All my stuff off exchange was gone and I had to reset it all.

Jusctice

Reaction score
I got my Droid two days ago, everything was working fine, and then today I lost access to my exchange work email account. Like others, it just spontaneously disappeared. I have not downloaded a single program for this phone, other than to permit it to update the OS when I first turned it on.

R1Lover

Reaction score
I had this happen once too.... but never again

As for the data plan, you don't need the higher one at all... that is false information.

droidmark

Reaction score
I had 2 IMAP email accounts disappear today. Have not seen this problem previously. My Touchdown account for the Exchange server at work was fine (side note: I also use Touchdown just fine with the $29.99 data plan). I do have ATK installed (actually Verizon installed it when I got the phone on opening day) but I never use it myself-- not sure what it's doing behind by back.

sirsimon

Reaction score
Same issue here: I've lost my Exchange settings numerous times now. I'm not running ATK, and the only apps I've added to the phone are Amazon's barcode search and Hi Yahoo IM. I'm nearly positive that each time my settings were lost was after I powered the phone off. On another forum people were talking about getting their phones replaced, as they were under the impression that VZW had received a "faulty batch", but I've got to believe this is a simple software glitch that can be remedied with an OTA update.

Google, are you there? Oh, and don't forget the ability to add signatures to non-Gmail accounts. :)

Happy holidays, everyone.

pamo

Reaction score
exchange box lost

This has happened twice, i don't remember quite when the first time was, but it was after the upgrade. the second time was yesterday. i don't have atk installed (haven't gotten around to it yet) and haven't downloaded any free apps in over 3 weeks. i have been able to just rebuild the exchange account with no issues at all (i'm not the exchange admin, nor do i play one on tv). btw, my symptom is when i open my corporate mail, it's just black. no set up wizard, nuthin'. setup wizard does appear when i try to access my corporate calendar. hotmail settings are gone, too. gmail is, of course, un-impacted. so far, this is an annoyance, but i would really love to know what's going on and make it stop.

palpacino

Reaction score
Well, me too now.

I was actually reading and hearing about this dang issue and now its happened to me. Not sure what I might have done leading up to it, but its a bug for sure. This is not a Motorola issue, trust me. Its an Android issue or MAYBE a Verizon issue... Either way, Google should hold the key to making sure it doesn't happen. As a software developer myself, this really ****s my pants to see happening as it is so easy to avoid with code. Whatever bug that is causing this should be easy to fix. Those guys have to know about it by now and I truly hope it gets updated within the next little bit.

My company pays for most of my cell phone bill. They expect me to get my emails and be alerted to things going on. When I have to get a phone call from my boss asking "Well did you get the email?" and I realize that I haven't been alerted to any emails in several hours and that, now, the account settings are all forgotten, then the phone has officially cost my company money rather than saved them anything.

This is bad, bad, bad juju for Corporate Exchange users.... Google/Verizon - You guys need to fix this one. Out there, somewhere, some poor guy has been fired for not responding to an issue coming in through his email.

Also, my text messages disappeared sometime yesterday it looks like as they are mostly gone. Only a few different folks that I have text with in the last 24 hours are there.

The email app is buggy. A few weeks ago it was opening up different emails than the one I was clicking on, too. How stupid is that?

"Don't be evil.":motdroidhoriz:

Last edited:

ethion

Reaction score
I have also had this happen twice on my phone. All my email configuration settings were gone. The first time it happened when I put back my exchange config my mail was corrupted. ie I would click on a message topic and the wrong body would show up. I ended up having to delete the configuration and readd it to get it back properly. This is happening on my moto droid running 2.01. I'd install roadsync but it doesn't appear to be available on the droid. This problem is rather irritating.

iamdela

Reaction score
same here

i too have had my droid simply lose all email accounts, regardless if exchange or pop3. This has happened numerous times over the past few weeks. i have called verizon they act as though they have never heard of this issue. i have been watching the posts and nothing seems to be happeneing and no resolution in sight. where do we go from here?

dznj

Reaction score
Me too

Has happened to me 3 or 4 times in the week I have had my Droid. I don't have ATK running.

s2k_848

Reaction score
This has happened to me multiple times before and just the last three days, it's happended every day! I guess there's one thing Droid can't do....keep e-mail accounts...

eljefe

Reaction score
3-4 times

I use the Motorola Droid with an Exchange account and have gotten the 'blank inbox' / disappearing email configuration at least 3 times. Only had the phone since 12/1. Just happened again today!

The last time was 3 weeks ago and at the time, I checked the Exchange Mobile Devices / ActiveSync "manager" available in Outlook Web Access and noticed the Device IDs are changing. Today again it looks like that is the case -- now this is more than likely an effect of reestablishing the account on the phone, but perhaps it's involved.

Anyone try getting into debug mode on the phone to see if it's possible to view any log messages about this problem? Thinking I want to try that next.

-- One thing I did just realize is that everything had been fine for several weeks and just last night I updated the settings to keep a week's worth of mail - the same setting I had used earlier. After the last reconfiguration, I had just set it to 3 days initially and it had been fine...... perhaps that's also part of the problem??? With reconfiguring today, will stick with 3 to see what happens...

Last edited:

Per

Reaction score
Happened to me too

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I am not running ATK, nor have I ever installed it.

Also, I was running the GolfCard app when the email config vanished, and IT TOO lost all its data. My golf partner and I lost our first 12 holes' of scores, really aggravating. More importantly, as a previous poster notes, THIS BUG CAN COST COMPANIES MONEY AND WORKERS THEIR JOBS.

Google, Verizon, developers: Please, please, please make this issue a top priority.

oronomus

Reaction score
Me Too

Lost the settings for an exchange server and a POP3 account within hours after entering the settings on day 1 of ownership. VERY frustrating to click "Email" and see the original screen - "Set Up Email - You can configure Email for most accounts in just a few steps"... This needs immediate attention.