Droid Speech Quality & Data Rate Tip...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by NegativeX, Nov 24, 2009.

1. NegativeX

NegativeX New Member

So playing around in the diagnostic menu, I stumbled across a few things that made my Droid experience better.

First, I found that by switching to EVRC-B (from EVRC) under Vocode in the diagnostic menu, substantially increases speech quality. (only on the other end)

Second, by changing the data rate from 153.6/9.6 to 153.6/153.6, allows for a more consistent connection speeds on the net. (edited, Thanks Mike84!)

*edit* Looks like changing the data rate only affects tethering speeds atm, but not confirmed.

To get to the Diagnostic menu, do the following: (Thanks to Neofite!)

Dial ##PROGRAM, send, enter 000000, Verify

Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. silverx10

silverx10 New Member

Kudos on showing how to get to the diagnostic menu, but I didn't notice any difference in the quality of TTS; and I consider my hearing to be rather acute.
  3. NegativeX

NegativeX New Member

I guess I should of been more clear.

It only improves the quality on the other end, not what you hear.

I speak to a few dozen clients on a daily basis on my Droid and at least half, without telling them what I changed, noticed a increase in call quality.
  4. guissho

guissho New Member

I have a question though.... Do you guys have any clue if this changes can have any impact on your monthly charges? meaning, using a different vocode or data rate will increase the actual data being transferred from/to the phone so that an increase in data charges may be present at billing time?

this may seem like a dumb question but I have no clue, and I'm sure some people may want to hear some thoughts about this. thanks
  5. NegativeX

NegativeX New Member

Good question...

But from my understanding on the EVRC codec, EVRC-B has a lower data rate then EVRC.

As for changing the data rate, from looking at the numbers, it shouldn't impact your data much at all... You're going to download what you're going to download, or upload what you're going to upload, regardless how fast or slow you're going to do it at. The file size(s) stay the same.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  6. guissho

guissho New Member

Perfect... thanks for the fast response.
    If anyone else has something else to add please do... its always better to be extra sure! :)
  7. NegativeX

NegativeX New Member

Couldn't agree more... I'm definitely no expert. :)
  8. sp90378

sp90378 New Member

How does changing the data rate affect the speed?
    Last week I already changed the voice codec, and was told it does sound better, will changing the data rate from 153.6/9.6 to 76.8/38.4 really make that much of an impact? I see that it increases the upload speed, but then wont it be slower for download that data for games and apps, and the web browser?
  9. Tight686

Tight686 New Member

I was thinking exactly that. That would really suck
  10. Mike84

Mike84 New Member

scroll down a bit, you can set it to 153.6/153.6 ;)
  11. Tight686

Tight686 New Member

After reading this thread it inspired me to look on my own droid and I saw that. So what would that mean? Full upload/download speeds depending on the situation? VZW sending me a $10,000 bill? Which is it my good sir?
  12. Mike84

Mike84 New Member

There is no way they can make these settings accessible for the average user to change on their phone and then charge you extra for it when you do change these settings. It wouldn't hold up.

edit* I set mine at 153.6/153.6. lets see if i notice a difference
  13. Tight686

Tight686 New Member

Tell that to the parents of kids who decide to send 5000 texts with no texting plan. :)
    :greendroid:
  14. sp90378

sp90378 New Member

It should cost no extra, as in having the phone you have to get the unlimited data plan. Texting, I can see, but I dont worry about that because the day I got my phone, I rigeed it with google voice, and now i have unlimited texts to my google voice number (which i can integrate with my phone, so i send and receive them as if i was texting on the phone without google voice)

BTW then those parents should of had texting disabled on the phones from verizons side. I have it disabled on my phone, so if someone tries to text my phone number and not my google voice, then it will send, but i will never get the text, and many times it will tell the sender that it failed.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  15. volando

volando New Member

you mean the limited to 5GB unlimited data plan? ;-)

Ok, tried changing the value...

7 Speed tests before:
    314/430/277/536/539/441/584 == 445

7 Speed tests after:
    435/471/430/655/426/482/439 == 476

Results: inconclusive/no-change

Don't really know where to test upload speed...
  16. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

From what I read that's only true if you have the tethering plan? I read a post debating this and it came out that the unlimited data plan actually is unlimited.

Anyway I'm curious about whether chaning the setting will increase connection performance. Anyone else try?
  17. volando

volando New Member

Sorry, you're incorrect. It has been shown multiple times that Verizon's definition of 'unlimited' is indeed 'limited to 5gb'. You have to pay more for additional bandwidth. This really shouldn't be legal, however that's just how things work in this country...
  18. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

Well... you can believe what you want. but according to androidforums.com, howardforums.com, and this post on this very forum by New2u (moderator): http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...mited-data.html, the 5gb limit is only for mobile broadband devices and tethering :icon_eek:. I dunno...
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  19. volando

volando New Member

Hm, I guess my info is out of date then... last I read about it we were all reading (right on verizon's website) the agreement which had the 5gb limit in it, i guess as stated in the post you quoted that was for other hardware. I guess good to know (if Verizon calls me and complains I'll be pissed :) )
  20. JonKyu

JonKyu New Member

believe me ill be freaking pissed to lol! but new2u seems pretty sure about it and had three verizon reps clarify it also so I think well all be okay. I've already used 1 gig since I got my droid on the 6th.
Search tags for this page

evrc-b data always on

motorola evrc-b
tight686
what does evrc-b mean?