Droid/Smartphone "spy apps"

TimChgo9

Reaction score
A friend of mine got a new Droid about a week after I got mine. We were talking about the phone during a conversation last night, and he noted, as of late, that his GPS seems to enable itself from time to time, especially after he leaves the house. (He keeps it disabled) I figured it was just a bug, or something, and told him as such, but he also said that he noted a folder on his SD card called "Where are you", but can't find an app with that name in the Market, but did do a Google Search and came up with a web page that seems to sell "spy apps" for smart phones.

They are programs that a spouse, or a parent, can use to track their spouse, or children, according to what he told me, the app activates the GPS, and also allows the handset to be turned on, so someone can listen to conversations. Apparently, the application can be activated by another person using a smart phone or a computer who has the access and activation codes...Not entirely sure how it works, but I have read about these types of things before, just not sure how well they work.

Anyway, he thinks his girlfriend may have put the app on his phone to keep an eye on him.

Personally, I am not sure it's that kind of program, so I told him to just erase the folder from his SD card, and see what happens after that. He's only been dating her about two months, and they don't live together, so I am not sure what is going on.

Has anyone else heard about apps like that?

I Google Searched a couple, but I won't post the links here, because my McAfee Site Advisor wasn't liking the sites too much. Apparently the stuff exists, but I was wondering if such a thing exists for the Android platform, and how it would run in the back ground....., and not be visible in the Application screen.

Guurzak

Reaction score
On a non-rooted phone, it's not currently possible to hide applications from the Manage Applications process under Settings, so if there's spyware installed on his phone he should be able to uninstall it easily enough.

(If he's rooted his phone, then he should be familiar enough with its internal workings to solve the problem on his own.)

iPirate

Reaction score
He should reset his phone and be careful of the apps he downloads.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions and say the gf is spying on him. Is he a shady guy? lol

ictdog

Reaction score
"Where's my Droid" is the app I think you are thinking of. Another one that does a "find" on your cell if lost is called "Lookout".
Now these are not spyware...they just have the ability to locate your cell if lost...Lookout has antivirus and a scream feature to help isolate where your cell is...but it will locate the cell on a Google Map webpage and then send an email to you identifying where it was located at...
But, you have to have access to the cell to install and setup on the phone and register, at least with the Lookout webpage.

Last edited:

Rettocs

Reaction score
It is possible that a person could take someone's droid, set up "Where's my droid" on it, and use the pin code to check where it is at random times. That would explain the mysterious folder, and why the GPS would randomly come on, but wouldn't he get some notification that the app had been accessed?

Nedaroth

Reaction score
The app is called where and it is used to find deals in your area, so when it starts it will use gps to find you.

P8ntballer789

Reaction score
Its prob an app doing it. Have him check the specs of his apps and it will tell you if it uses gps. Mine has done it once in awhile but its from apps. Hope you figure it out!

OP
T

TimChgo9

Reaction score
As far as I know, my friend is going to a Verizon store to have them help him restore his phone, and wipe his SD card.... He's not sure what is causing it, or where it's coming from, and I guess Verizon customer service told him to go to his local store, and they'll help him out.

He's not sure what the heck is going on, but he's not taking any chances.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Its probably something like Beautiful widgets or Weather Widget that is updating his location when he leaves the house.

They can be set to use the GPS for that ;)

Nice95gle

Reaction score
My Weather Bug app also updates my location via GPS. Unless his GF is tech savvy, she wouldn't even think of putting spy-ware on the phone or even know how to do it.

But good luck finding the issue.

johnlgalt

Reaction score
Hi, Alrale, and welcome to the forums.

While what you wrote is true, in this case the OP was referring only to GPS activation, and wondered if that was happening as a part of spy apps.

Sent from my rooted .904 BIONIC running CM9 Nightlies via Tapatalk 2

MandriwaDroid

Reaction score
On a non-rooted phone, it's not currently possible to hide applications from the Manage Applications process under Settings, so if there's spyware installed on his phone he should be able to uninstall it easily enough.
Here write that cannot be found!
I see one exit: reinstall the OS phone...

ericlewis107

Reaction score
Lookout mobile app may be what you are looking for. You can tell by PC where the phone is with a couple of feet. Just make sure the phone has the GPS enabled for it to work.

Heyjude

Reaction score
Its prob an app doing it. Have him check the specs of his tracking apps and it will tell you if it uses gps. Mine has done it once in awhile but its from apps. Hope you figure it out!

But he must make sure the phone GPS tracking function is open.

Last edited: