Droid slows down / all texts lost

DroidGurl

Reaction score
Two separate issues. First, over the past week I've noticed my phone acts like a crashing computer - all the programs become slow or unresponsive. It happens at the end of every day and either I have to turn the phone off or pull the battery. I installed a countdown app and an alternate time zone clock that were on my home page. I removed the widgets for a day and it still slowed down so I uninstalled both. Do apps cause issues like this?

Also since the last update I've lost all of my SMS messages a few times. What is up with that? I was using the stock app but switched to Handcent tonight after it happened again.

One more question: when you download apps from the market how do you know that the code isn't doing something malicious that you wouldn't want it to? Some of these apps have a lot of access...

Thanks!

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
This sounds like an app playing jokes on you.
Google does not directly look at apps and make sure they are ok to be admitted to the market. There is only a test the app must run through and since android is quite new the tests may not cover all issues. Smartphones try to find errors in apps though and if they do find something normally it will either shut down or crash.
I do not use any apps that I believe could harm the device. Any app that is doubled (meaning being on the market and other markets) is an ok to use app.
I unfortunately do not recommend downloading handcent, just my opinion.

The other thing that could be up is a failed 2.0.1 update or something like that. If this has happened certain things will be randomly erased and the phone will shut down or crash.

Sometimes just take the phone to verizon sometimes they just give you a new device anyway.

zschiffman

Reaction score
Two separate issues. First, over the past week I've noticed my phone acts like a crashing computer - all the programs become slow or unresponsive. It happens at the end of every day and either I have to turn the phone off or pull the battery. I installed a countdown app and an alternate time zone clock that were on my home page. I removed the widgets for a day and it still slowed down so I uninstalled both. Do apps cause issues like this?

Also since the last update I've lost all of my SMS messages a few times. What is up with that? I was using the stock app but switched to Handcent tonight after it happened again.

One more question: when you download apps from the market how do you know that the code isn't doing something malicious that you wouldn't want it to? Some of these apps have a lot of access...

Thanks!

i have the same SMS issue. annoying as hell

OP
DroidGurl

DroidGurl

Reaction score
This sounds like an app playing jokes on you.
Google does not directly look at apps and make sure they are ok to be admitted to the market. There is only a test the app must run through and since android is quite new the tests may not cover all issues. Smartphones try to find errors in apps though and if they do find something normally it will either shut down or crash.
I do not use any apps that I believe could harm the device. Any app that is doubled (meaning being on the market and other markets) is an ok to use app.
I unfortunately do not recommend downloading handcent, just my opinion.

The other thing that could be up is a failed 2.0.1 update or something like that. If this has happened certain things will be randomly erased and the phone will shut down or crash.

Sometimes just take the phone to verizon sometimes they just give you a new device anyway.

Why do you not recommend downloading Handcent? It's one of the favorite apps people mention a lot, now I see why. I had fun last night fully customizing my SMS (I didn't know the LED had so many color options!). I'm curious what your feelings are on it. And thanks for the other info, it is very helpful.