Droid semi-hung on boot

erfoster

Reaction score
My Bionic up and quit on me tonight with strange symptoms. I was lying down not using it, and it should have had at least 50% battery, but it suddenly rebooted. I tried to take a look after it started up, but couldn't get it to respond to anything, the screen stayed black. I rebooted it again and paid attention this time. It went through all the motions, the loading logo stayed on the screen for awhile....eventually the screen dimmed like it does if you dont touch the screen for a bit but the logo stayed. After a bit the screen shut off but it made the normal sounds it does when starting up. It was completely unresponsive to any input though. I tried calling it and the screen turns on but stays fully black top to bottom, and it started to ring for about half a second, then rebooted. I've pulled the battery, sd, and sim cards, and no matter what I do it has the same results.

My best guess is it has to do with the launcher app. I used launcher pro, I may? have frozen the stock launcher via tibu. Recently launcher pro would hang and force close once in awhile for no apparent reason, but would come right back. Every now and then it would hang on boot and the screen would stay black except for the top status bar, and the lockscreen functioned normally. Eventually it would force close, restart LP, and be fine. Perhaps LP got completely corrupted and it has no launcher to run now?

It's also worth noting that recently it had an odd issue with the screen. ONLY when plugged into a wall, the touch screen would fritz out and become about 90% unresponsive. Trying to drag the lockscreen pattern for example, it would often register where your finger was, but when trying to trace a pattern it would keep breaking and show only one or two points you hit. Trying to do a full left to right swipe would often only move the slider 1/8" or so. It didn't do it every time, but it would only do it when plugged in to a charger (wall, usb, car--didnt matter), and unplugging the phone would immediately correct symptoms, plugging it back in immediately recreated them.

At any rate I need help figuring out how to get this up and running again. I'd like to save as much data as possible, but I need to be able to flash back to stock at a minimum for a replacement from vzw. I was running stock rooted os, but it's been awhile since I updated and rooted, so I honestly can't remember what version it was running. For now I have it plugged in hoping it will at least get a good charge so it will have a good battery for any flashing procedures. I need help fast, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

OP
E

erfoster

Reaction score
After a bunch of messing around, the only way I was able to fix it was with a full factory reset. Everything seemed fine, but I just ran into the same problem again. I heard it restart once for no reason, but it seemed fine afterwards. Not too long later it restarted again and I'm getting the black screen of death on boot again. I didn't install many programs at all since the last reset, and none at all within the past week. What could be causing this?

mattjenn

Reaction score
erfoster said:
After a bunch of messing around, the only way I was able to fix it was with a full factory reset. Everything seemed fine, but I just ran into the same problem again. I heard it restart once for no reason, but it seemed fine afterwards. Not too long later it restarted again and I'm getting the black screen of death on boot again. I didn't install many programs at all since the last reset, and none at all within the past week. What could be causing this?

You may need to fxz. Did you get stock launcher up and running or is it frozen still I had problems with go launcher doing almost same thing on my Droid X that I had at the time and I had to uninstall it cause it just would not work for some reason on stock GB?

OP
E

erfoster

Reaction score
I was using launcher pro, and after a little more fidgeting, it appears launcher pro is just hanging up immediately on booting. I think if I can get an update.zip version of a launcher I can install via recovery I might just be ok