Droid screwed up. What is the problem?

skatin4life134

Reaction score
When a friend was driving home yesterday I placed my phone in the side pocket of his car. When I pulled it out I discovered it had been sitting in a puddle that had formed from him not rolling his window up during a storm earlier. Ever since then phone calls are unhearable and some buttons on the keyboard insert a ton of unwanted letters when pressed. The camera's auto zoom also freaks out and the flash keeps going on and off when I open up the camera. The touch screen still works perfectly fine and text messages are able to be recieved and sent. I've had it sitting in rice for a day, took it out and its working a little better but the buttons on the keyboard are still screwing up. Should I try a factory reset?

ChugIt

Reaction score
It is hard to say. Best case you get lucky and it dries up and works fine, worst case you gotta buy a new Droid because water damage is not covered in your warranty. All I can say is I hope it isn't ruined. Sucks man.... good luck.

cromo8

Reaction score
are the stickers on the back of the phone pink? or still white or white with X's

OP
S

skatin4life134

Reaction score
are the stickers on the back of the phone pink? or still white or white with X's

Its pink I know its a little water damaged but I wanna try all I can to fix it buying another droid isn't really in my budget right now

maxnicks

Reaction score
Turn it off. Remove the battery. Dry it with a hair dryer until the phone is hot. Let it cool down. Flip it over and do it to the other side. Repeat another time or two. Let it sit under a warm (not hot) lightbulb over night. Hopefully internal moisture reside is your issue. If it is, then these s

OP
S

skatin4life134

Reaction score
Just givin an update in case anyone else has this issue and is reading this thread. Ive left my Droid in a bag of rice for about a day and a half and have vacuumed it off twice now and I just checked and everything is back to normal except the camera still freaks out a bit. I'm leaving it in the rice for another night because I think theres just moisture in the lens so the camera tries to auto focus repeatedly. Everyone else thanks for your feedback!

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
I dropped...back in the day...a brand new Motoroa Razor [ went through three, so I really loved them, but this was number one] in a two foot wading pool back in 2000. Arkansas gets hot and I left it in the truck, in the parking deck, in the sun on purpose....that works on blackberrys too. Please, no ovens....a dork tried that once....it melted a blackberry. Worth a try. You are dehumidifying your droid...

NightWolf0829

Reaction score
Just givin an update in case anyone else has this issue and is reading this thread. Ive left my Droid in a bag of rice for about a day and a half and have vacuumed it off twice now and I just checked and everything is back to normal except the camera still freaks out a bit. I'm leaving it in the rice for another night because I think theres just moisture in the lens so the camera tries to auto focus repeatedly. Everyone else thanks for your feedback!

Absolutely the best way. I've saved many phones using rice. The dryer heat might actually do more damage, separating the digitizer from lcd, or any of the small ribbon cables in our phones.

+1 for you.
dancedroid

ShowTime

Reaction score
Using rice is a myth/wive's tale. Pull the battery, place in front of a cool/warm air source, wait, pray.

Reaction score
Using rice is a myth/wive's tale. Pull the battery, place in front of a cool/warm air source, wait, pray.

This maybe an old tip passed down, but it is not an old wives tale. It has potential to work, as rice does absorb liquid uncooked... So it has potential to fix the phone.

But a slightly refined and better method would be to buy a whole bunch of silicate gel packs from a hobby or crafts store(or even go to Target and take them from all the New shoe boxes) and put them all in a tuper-ware box with your phone and close it up for a day or 2.

Possibly putting this tuper-ware container in the fridge could help de-humidify the phone and help the rice absorb the moisture, but I'm not 100% sure how much that will help.

Or if you or a friend has a meat/food dehydrator you can place the phone in that, and you can control the temperature so it doesn't over heat. Works the best, and the fastest out of any other method. The slowest would be to take the phone apart, use dust-off on the circuits and wipe/brush off everything.

Phew ok, Hope this works and all is well with your phone!

hatzie

Reaction score

This maybe an old tip passed down, but it is not an old wives tale. It has potential to work, as rice does absorb liquid uncooked... So it has potential to fix the phone.

But a slightly refined and better method would be to buy a whole bunch of silicate gel packs from a hobby or crafts store(or even go to Target and take them from all the New shoe boxes) and put them all in a tuper-ware box with your phone and close it up for a day or 2.

Possibly putting this tuper-ware container in the fridge could help de-humidify the phone and help the rice absorb the moisture, but I'm not 100% sure how much that will help.

Or if you or a friend has a meat/food dehydrator you can place the phone in that, and you can control the temperature so it doesn't over heat. Works the best, and the fastest out of any other method. The slowest would be to take the phone apart, use dust-off on the circuits and wipe/brush off everything.

Phew ok, Hope this works and all is well with your phone!

Dry white rice works to keep salt from clumping in a shaker. It probably will eventually dry a phone out. It could take a long time.
I used Desiccant packs from my gun safe to dry out my Razr. I dropped it in a relatively clean puddle...
I put the desiccant in a plastic tub with the opened phone and battery. I put the tub in my oven with the light on and the door cracked open. This kept my little package at @110F. It dried out in 24 hours and actually worked YMMV.

aldaudio

Reaction score
rice worked to fix my ipod that got left in my cars cup holder while my sunroof was open during a rain storm, haha.

so, rice works, it just might take it a few days longer. definitely worth it tho!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk