DROID Screen Unlock Pattern Cannot be Enabled

royalking18

Reaction score
I'm having this weird issue with my DROID where the other day my screen unlock pattern all of a sudden went back to the default finger swipe instead of my custom pattern. When I try to re-set it in Settings or check the option, it does not save. Re-starting the phone doesn't solve the problem either. When I try to change some of my other settings, it doesn't save either.

Also, the phone re-starts out of nowhere from time to time.

Anyone else have this problem or know a fix? Maybe someone hacked into my phone somehow?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

squid

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my phone... I can't find any related messages to this topic. Is there a a solution other than a hard reset?

Sweettooth

Reaction score
The only thing I'd imagine was happeng is that the Settings data keeps getting cleared. If you go into Settings>Applications>Manage applications, hit the menu key, choose Filter select All you'll see one app called Settings and another called Settings Storage. On mine, Settings Storage has 48KB of data and I can't clear it. Settings on the other hand is 1.52MB and if I want I can clear the data. I don't know why an app would be set to auto clear the data but if you have any downloaded and highly configurable task killing apps, I'd check them. If you don't then I'm a little puzzled because the only other thing I can imagine is a fault in the phone's internal memory.

I haven't heard of this problem anywhere else. You might try clearing the data in your Settings app and reconfigure all those parameters again. The last resort is of course to take it to a Verizon store and/or do a factory reset.

squid

Reaction score
Didn't work :(

Still having the same problem... wanted to throw this out there again to see if anyone had any suggestions. I'm pretty sure I've tried everything.

squid

Reaction score
This is the problem. When I check them and exit, they don't STAY checked. If I return to settings they aren't checked anymore. Crazy.

squid

Reaction score
Of course I would like the security feature to work. That's why I am valiantly keeping this thread alive.

swbdroid

Reaction score
I have the brand new Droid 2 with the long awaited 2.2. The bad news is that this bug is not fixed in it. On mine, all of my settings are flagged correctly to use the 'Visible Pattern' unlock, and they *stay* appearing correctly flagged (which is slightly different than the original posters symptoms as his settings do not save). However, the result is the same in that it doesn't actually work. An unlock doesn't require the visible pattern to be entered upon. It only requires the regular and default swipe action. I've searched and there doesn't seem to be much more info about this bug, even now.

swbdroid

Reaction score
I consider this issue resolved, at least for me on Droid 2. Apparently, there are two "lock" statuses. On my Droid 2 (2.2), there is a setting called "Security lock timer" in the 'Location & security' options. This status, apparently, is different than when your phone's screen just turns-off, aka "Screen Timeout" in the 'Display' options. I discovered that the 'Visible Pattern" input is ONLY required when the threshold for the "Security lock timer'' setting has been exceeded. In my case, the "Security lock timer'' was set to 20 minutes. So of course, I never got the 'Visible Pattern' unlock requirement when I was testing the problem because my phone was never idle (timed-out) for 20 minutes; I was constantly using it. So when I flag the "Security lock timer" setting to "When display is off", the 'Visible Pattern" unlock is always required. When I flag the "Security lock timer" to 1 minute, the 'Visible Pattern' is required after 1 minute of the phone being timed-out, but is not required during the 59 seconds before that 1 minute threshold is met. I've since learned that with other versions of Droid, there are different settings and options for such things, but maybe some combination will work for others like it did on my Droid 2 (2.2)