Droid Screen Protector?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by craigtaz, Jan 21, 2010.

1. craigtaz

craigtaz New Member

Newbie Droid owner here...

Anyone recommend protective film for the large screen on the Droid? Since 99% of the face of this thing is screen, I'm worried about it getting scratched.

Craig
  2. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

3. baniels

baniels New Member

Possibly you only friend as you get your feet wet. Search for everything.
  4. meekless

meekless New Member

i had the plastic type protector (sold at Verizon store) from day one and have been using it for more than a month now. i really didnt like the fact it was an oil magnet.

after seeing a couple of videos and reading peoples responses to going with a nude screen, i pulled that damned thing off. the gorilla glass is really amazing. i do have the leather style case on it still (also from verizon), so this does give protection around the edges. but the responsiveness and overall feel of navigating through the menus without the screen protector is so much better. i will never put one on again!!

on a side note, i also noticed so many people talking about how Linux works and how any Task killer is not needed. i uninstalled it just a few days ago, but i can tell a difference for the better. the start up of apps, and menu nav seems to be less laggy. not a huge night and day difference, but noticeable.

appreciate all the info provided by those who know more about this amazing phone than i do.

you guys are great!
  5. Spartan

Spartan New Member

Steinheil Crystal - crystal clear like glass, smooth as silk, and doesn't show prints.
  6. droidster22

droidster22 New Member

yea i have tried both SGP Steinheil Antifingerprint and Crystal
    but ended up with Crystal. I was sort of annoyed by the fingerprints on the crystal at first and switched to antifingerprint but I ended up changing back. I missed the clear screen too much. :icon_ banana:
    it feels like nothings on when i put the crystal on. the response on the touchscreen doesn't seem like it's affected as well. very responsive.
  7. takeshi

takeshi New Member

There are a ton of threads on screen protectors. Definitely check them out.
  8. tonightshow

tonightshow New Member

I do not recommend ScreenGuardz. They're decent and cheap, but impossible to get rid of all bubbles and when I have used a friend's (who has a different protector on it) I realize just how "sticky" mine is - although I don't really notice it - it's NOT smooth as glass as my friends. There's a reason they sell them in 10-packs too. Monthly replacement, at least.
  9. droidster22

droidster22 New Member

I had my steinheil crystal on for about close to 3 wks now and have no sign of bubble what so ever. I put this on as I took my droid out of the box and I honestly can't even tell if this thing is on. It is not sticky like zagg and is definately smooth as glass.
  10. wolfhound0023

wolfhound0023 New Member

just got a Invisible-Shield installed today at the mall. Looks awesome and works great. Have used Invisible Shield on multiple NDS and Itouchs without any problems
  11. The Miz

The Miz New Member

Plus one on the invisible shield. Got mine today at best buy...
  12. billyk

billyk New Member

Just posted this on another thread.

I installed the Invisible Shield today. Went on perfectly, as I've been religiously using the Zagg product for years on other phones.

Since I've been using the Droid "naked" for the past month, I can say that the Invisible Shield definitely reduces response, feel and visual quality slightly. Not bad though, just not 100% transparent on the tactile and visual fronts.

Not sure how long I'll keep it on.
  13. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

im glad to hear both these posts. i just ordered the steinheil crystal.
  14. rverginia

rverginia New Member

No screen protector for me.

I have tried the protectors from the Verizon store, and the Zagg product. Both are crap. I then watched the you tube video (search under Gorilla Glass) and have gone without protection ever since. Clean it with a wet rag every now and then and dry it with a paper towel, or your jeans - doesn't matter. No problem.
  15. Audiophobe

Audiophobe New Member

Thanks for starting this thread! My search brought me here too. How much was it for the install? Where do you find it in the mall?
    I bought the cheapo Ebay 3 pack and it's thick bubbly plastic that's terrible.
  16. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

I have a Seido Screen Guard , perfect fit , invisible , same sensitivity and does not scrach easy . It does show all the fingerprints . Very easy to apply , be careful though because any dust spec will create a big , very visible bubble so work in a dust free zone . Usualy if I catch a dust spec on the sticky side of the film I will wash it with distiled water and use it again without bubbles .
  17. RyanS2000

RyanS2000 New Member

I bought these ones and they work great. Resistant to scratches (been using heavily for 2+ weeks so far and no scratches at all on the screen protector), easy to install, screen sensitivity unaffected, and super cheap.
  18. Detonation

Detonation New Member

I would recommend staying away from Phantom Skinz. It gets good reviews for being smooth and not having orange peel, but it comes at the sacrifice of scratching very easily. If you want to know more, see the review I posted here.

BestSkinsEver and Zagg are good protectors but have a textured feel that some people won't like. They are definitely scratch proof, but feel a little tacky/rubbery. I've also heard good things about the Steinheil Crystal. It's only a screen protector though, no full body. I decided to give BodyGuardz a try to replace my PhantomSkin, I'll post about it here once it get it.
  19. billyk

billyk New Member

I'd try a Steinheil, but the Zagg protector that I installed the other day was a *perfect* install - it's as good as a Zagg protector can get. Perfectly centered, not even the tiniest air bubble or wrinkle or any other irregularity. I am usually pretty good with Zagg's, but I outdid myself with this one!

I think the Steinheil would be more to my liking, but I think I'll live with the rubbery/tacky feeling of the Zagg, at least for now.
  20. craigtaz

craigtaz New Member

FYI: Every on-line dealer that I've checked is out of stock of the Steinheil Crystal. :mad:
Search tags for this page

how to clean zagg invisible shield sticky side

howw to put on screen protectors for droid

putting screen saver on a droid 4