Droid screen in the outdoors

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by ZBoater, Mar 10, 2010.

1. ZBoater

ZBoater New Member

I did a search and could not find a good discussion on this, so here it goes...

Today was a beautiful day so I went for a walk, and was surprised I could not see my screen AT ALL in the sunlight. I have to carry a BB Tour for work, and the screen was completely readable. The glare on the Droid screen made it impossible to use.

The screen on the Droid runs circles around the BB indoors, but what options do I have for the outdoors? Any screen protectors that cut down on the glare? Anyone else experience this?
  2. ShowTime

ShowTime New Member

What's your screen brightness set at? I keep mine set at about 10%, but when I am going to be outside a lot and want to use it, I set it back to Auto, otherwise I can't see a thing. Once it's on Auto, even in direct, blazing sunlight, I can see it just fine. I have seen other posts talk about not being able to see their screens in direct sunlight, even with brightness all the way up, but I don't recall ever seeing any real "fix" suggested (and since it's never been a problem for me, I unfortunately, don't have one to suggest either). Do you have any type of screen protector on it currently?
  3. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

I was driving today in the nice weather also, and couldnt see the map at all on the droid in car dock.. will have to play with the settings.
  4. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

I haven't had any problems seeing my phone in the sunlight either, as long as I turn my brightness up. I wonder if it is a defect on some phones, that the brightness doesn't go all the way up.
  5. ???

??? New Member

can't see a thing in the bright sun either with that back light turned all the way up. it does help a bit if I clean it. but its a touch screen phone. pretty hard not to touch it.

oh well... my screen blinds me turned all the way down at night and can't see it in the sun turned all the way up. kinda fails, but I won't hold my breath for a fix.
  6. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I'm in and out all day (besides women...), and other than if the screen is smudgy, IMO the screen is awesome!
  7. billygalbreath

billygalbreath New Member Developer

I'm sitting on the smoke bench at work as I type this and I can see my screen just fine even though I'm sqinting from the sunlight around me...
  8. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

i posted a recent thread about this and everybody thought i was crazy and/or blind and needed to have my eyes checked. my droid outdoors on a bright day = a useless screen. it seems as though my phone is off as you cant see anything, when in fact, the brightness is turned up all the way. i have yet to compare it to another phone
  9. ZBoater

ZBoater New Member

I had my brightness up all the way. I still have my iPhone, and both that and the BB are a lot more readable in direct sunlight. It doesn't seem to be the screen itself, but rather the glare of the glass. I can almost use it as a mirror! I am going to try a Skinomi screen cover I just got from Amazon to see if it makes any difference...
  10. jasvll

jasvll New Member

It can be harder for me to see through fingerprints and smudges, but the actual lighting of the screen is usually fine.
  11. Lars

Lars New Member

As mentioned a couple posts up, it is the glass, not the screen. I am not sure what can be done to fix this other than finding some sort of non-reflective screen protector and making sure that the brightness is set to automatic (or all the way up). It's one of the issues people consider when purchasing HDTVs. If you have a bright, sunlit room, you should go with an LCD over a Plasma to reduce the glare.
  12. droidemere

droidemere New Member

I notice this too..the screen isn't really visible out in the sunlight..and I guess having a screen protector on it doesn't help much either..oh well..
  13. DroidFan

DroidFan New Member

I use the power widget to adjust the brightness on the go. Indoors, I keep the brightness at the lowest setting, when outdoors or on my car charger, I keep it on the highest brightness. It seems to be much easier to read when I keep it at the highest setting on the power widget.
  14. ZBoater

ZBoater New Member

Yup, tried the screen protector, same issue. Oh well, it is what it is.
  15. kristoff125

kristoff125 New Member

Never had problems with the screen, even in blinding sunlight during these past couple months with tons of snow, I can't look anywhere but at the phone w/o being blinded, but I can still see it perfectly, no screen protector.
  16. surfsup

surfsup New Member

set your background to something bright white - take a picture of a white wall in the sunlight if you have to - then and save it to your background.
  17. markwebb

markwebb New Member

Interesting suggestion..will have to try it.

Otherwise, a boring background. :mad:
  18. Chris.Nelson

Chris.Nelson Member

I just spent a week at the beach. A woman in a group near us was using a Nook reader and I could almost read it from where I sat (contrast was very good, glare nonexistent, resolution seemed good). I could read my wife's BlackBerry screen fine, too. But my Droid was almost useless in the sun. :-( A non-glare screen protector sounds great and I imagine it would help but no one on this thread seemed to know of one to recommend.
  19. sweetdroid

sweetdroid New Member

its my experience touchscreen phones suck in sunlight, but its not really a complaint i knew what i was into with touchscreen the benefits out weight the downside, but doesnt surprise the taht the tour is readable.
Search tags for this page
a phone you can see the screen while outside
android see the screen outside

can't see my phone screen in the sun

cant see android phone in the sun
cant see the note 3 screen in sunlight
droid screen protector bright sun

how to see my phone in the sun

how to see your phone in the sun

how to see your phone screen in the sun

i can't see my phone screen in the sunlight, any suggestions

note 2 can't see at sunlight