Droid screen got wet and wont come on =\

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I've searched through some threads on here, so I know how it goes: don't turn it on for a day or so and see if it dries up, etc...

So I'm not really asking for help on what to do with that. I'm trying to be realistic here because I really don't think it'll start to work anytime soon. What I was hoping to do was just getting a new phone. However, the price is too much without insurance. So what I was wondering is if I could get either my girlfriends or my moms phone (they're on my family plan and eligible for an upgrade), have them upgrade to the Droid (or droid 2), and then switch my number to their new Droid and transfer them back to their old phone.

I've heard of this being suggested before but I'm not sure if it'll work. Any thoughts?? =\

aldaudio

Reaction score
how did it get wet?

let it sit in rice for a couple days... worked for my iphone when it got wet and the screen stopped responding to touch.

cromo8

Reaction score
actually yes that will work no problem, its called an alternate upgrade you use a diff upgrade for your own line

try to dry it in rice(dry rice) in a container for like 2 or 3 days make sure its sealed and it a warm environment

OP
Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I was eating cereal last night when I stupidly hit the bowl trying to grab something else, it spilled all over my lap the milk spilled all over the Droid screen. There was even some milk on the keyboard when I pulled it out. The screen was flickering after a few mins. I dried it up and everything and let it dry for a while. The phonewould turn on but the screen was all black (bottom buttons were lit up though). This was all before I read I probably shouldnt have turned the phone on at all, so that's my own fault. I left it in front of my fan all last night and then put it outside for a couple of hours in 100 degree heat, but still nothing.

I guess I'll try the rice trick thing and check on it on friday since I have no other options at this point.

But yes I'm glad to know that the alternate upgrade thing will work if I decide to go that route. I figure spending $200 is a lot better than $600.

cromo8

Reaction score
much much better, trust me ive dealt with many customers who have needed an alternate upgrade because their phone broke

aldaudio

Reaction score
I was eating cereal last night when I stupidly hit the bowl trying to grab something else, it spilled all over my lap the milk spilled all over the Droid screen. There was even some milk on the keyboard when I pulled it out. The screen was flickering after a few mins. I dried it up and everything and let it dry for a while. The phonewould turn on but the screen was all black (bottom buttons were lit up though). This was all before I read I probably shouldnt have turned the phone on at all, so that's my own fault. I left it in front of my fan all last night and then put it outside for a couple of hours in 100 degree heat, but still nothing.

I guess I'll try the rice trick thing and check on it on friday since I have no other options at this point.

But yes I'm glad to know that the alternate upgrade thing will work if I decide to go that route. I figure spending $200 is a lot better than $600.

i also made the mistake of charging my iphone after i found out it was wet. i left it in my cup holder in my car, with the sunroof open, during a storm, and didnt realize till the next morning i did. it all worked fine for like 5 minutes after a short charge, but then i noticed some water was actually between the glass, and my touch screen stopped working all together. i let it sit in dry rice, in Tupperware, for a few days, and its almost as good as new. the only problem i have is that it usually goes from sleep to awake almost every minute, unless im using the ipod (which thats all i use it for now anyways).

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
You know, sitting it in front of your fan isn't the best idea. The fan wouldn't dry up the water - it would just push it around. They also tell you not to use a hairdryer, as your just pushing the water around, getting more parts wet, and heating up the water. You can actually fry your MoBo/Logicboard by doing that...
You can put it in a cup/bowl of raw rice. The rice will absorb the moisture and it should work. I've read a lot of articles about this working.... My sister dropped her iPod touch in the toilet (I have no idea) and she left it for about month, and now it works....

If you wanna read more, you can google fix wet phone lifehacker
Just try to go around that and include lifehacker, you should find a lot of articles..

Last edited:
OP
Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer

Reaction score

i also made the mistake of charging my iphone after i found out it was wet. i left it in my cup holder in my car, with the sunroof open, during a storm, and didnt realize till the next morning i did. it all worked fine for like 5 minutes after a short charge, but then i noticed some water was actually between the glass, and my touch screen stopped working all together. i let it sit in dry rice, in Tupperware, for a few days, and its almost as good as new. the only problem i have is that it usually goes from sleep to awake almost every minute, unless im using the ipod (which thats all i use it for now anyways).
Ouch, good thing it works pretty well though. I guess I'm just impatient, I hate waiting a long time because I keep thinking "well damn, why should it take 48 hours to completely dry up?" but I'm no expert on this, so when I get home from work I'll just wrap it up in a napkin, throw it in some rice and check on it when Friday comes.

OP
Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
You know, sitting it in front of your fan isn't the best idea. The fan wouldn't dry up the water - it would just push it around. They also tell you not to use a hairdryer, as your just pushing the water around, getting more parts wet, and heating up the water. You can actually fry your MoBo/Logicboard by doing that...
You can put it in a cup/bowl of raw rice. The rice will absorb the moisture and it should work. I've read a lot of articles about this working.... My sister dropped her iPod touch in the toilet (I have no idea) and she left it for about month, and now it works....

If you wanna read more, you can google fix wet phone lifehacker
Just try to go around that and include lifehacker, you should find a lot of articles..
Yikes, I hope I dont have to wait a month! That'd be too long of a wait for a phone. But I'll check out those articles and see what I can find.

Is there any way I can reactivate my old enV phone for a day or two while my droid sits in rice? I'm pretty sure I have a few voicemails that I probably need to reply to.

cromo8

Reaction score
yeah just give verizon customer service a call and change phones for the time being, it wont take a month never heard of anyone needing more than 3 days

but once again not a guaranteed fix, if its not like submerged in water, then your chances are greater

OP
Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Yeah it wasnt submerged in water. But the screen was covered in milk (and capn crunch) andthe right side of the keyboard had some milk on it.

And thanks for the link Swift, I'll look into that shoe stuff. Anything that works faster would be better.

cromo8

Reaction score
please tell me you still ate the cap'n crunch lol

OP
Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
please tell me you still ate the cap'n crunch lol
I had about 4 bites before it spilled all over me. I lost my appetite immediately so it all went in the trash, lol.

cromo8

Reaction score
dang..... what a waste, those poor, poor cap'n crunch