Droid Screen cracked!! HELP!!!

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Usually the $50 is if u have insurance or are VIP. What it takes to be VIP idk. All I know is I am. However I have seen friends that go to verizon wihout insurance and get replacement. Technically the rep just claims as manufacture defect even if screen broke and since it is still under manufacture warranty they can swap it. But as said in other post it really depends on rep. Some are jerks some are nice. Doesn't hurt to at least try. Worst case they say no. Heck I have been told no. We went back next day with dif rep and then been told ok. Or even just went to another verizon store. Just make sure store u are going to is not just authorized verizon dealer. Make sure it is a corporate store. Good luck. When/if you get new phone insurance is always worth it. You have a 2 year contract. Anything can happen. Espacially with smart phones.

jetcitydevices

Reaction score

I actually own the company being referred to in this link. First, thanks to Backnblack for posting about us.

Secondly, we actually charge $20 less than that price at the moment. Our Motorola Droid repair is $120 plus return shipping. We have all the parts in stock so the repair is usually finished and mailed back out within 24 hours of receiving the phone.

The prices are usually dropping for parts so in another month that price will probably be even less.

A quick FYI to people wanting to do this repair yourself. The parts are available on Ebay for about $40 and you can see a video of the take-apart process here: [video=youtube;dE81IaQHEHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE81IaQHEHc]YouTube - Motorola Droid A855 Take Apart & Repair Directions by DirectFix.com[/video]

Be warned: I've fixed a lot of different phones and the original Droid is one of the most difficult. It's very time consuming (plan on at least 90 minutes if you've never done it beofre) and one thing that video doesn't show is a very fragile ribbon cable underneath the screen. It's extremely easy to tear and if you do, the whole phone is pretty much garbage.

lancerooke

Reaction score
Tough break.... I thought I saw an ad that said it can be done for $139.

Looking for it....How did it happen?
It fell off my desk somehow. I just walked into the room and it was on the floor.
If you can find it that would really help alot!

Is your desk 10 stories up next to a busy street with nothing but semi trucks driving by? Because a drop off a desk is not nearly enough impact to break gorilla glass! Be honest...

A drop off a desk is plenty enough to break it. Mine just cracked and it only fell off my bed. Any tips on reassembly once I have it taken apart to replace the touch screen?

catituw2007

Reaction score
here you go my friend this will help [video=youtube;dE81IaQHEHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE81IaQHEHc]YouTube - Motorola Droid A855 Take Apart & Repair Directions by DirectFix.com[/video] go on directfix.com to order your supplies

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Sometimes you can get one of those mall kiosk repair guys to do it for like $60.

But that video is probably the best bet if you don't have one and/or can't afford it. Good luck!

catituw2007

Reaction score
i did it like that with my droid 2 everything worked fine its not hard just listen 2 direction and be extra careful i saved about 800$ instead of buying a new droid 2

lancerooke

Reaction score
A955

If anybody has a video for disassembling and reassembling the Droid 2 A955, please let me know. I am banking on my droid 2 being similar enough internally that the 855 videos should suffice, but I would love more information if anybody has any.

hitmaninpa

Reaction score
i guess i will try this do it yourself fix and hopefully it will work out well. i bought this droid off ebay for my son so i had no insurance on it.we were horseplaying and he jumped off a banister and this landed in the grass.i thought he was joking at first as i seen some kind of trick app with the cracked screen,well joke was on me now i have to fix it or get it fixed... or hes out of a droid.i am thinking on getting myself a droid2 or droid x so maybe i will just give him mine if i cant fix this...

Attachments

• droid.jpg
    droid.jpg
    800.2 KB · Views: 1,572
B

bthomp21

i have been finding many droid 1's on craigslist for 150 or less

VTRweasel

Reaction score
My dinc screen (digitizer) on amazon was $25. I had a friend replace it for free but the digitizer was bad so I just ordered another one. I'm paying a local shop to install it for 30 bucks and then I'm returning the first one. So $55 and it comes w/a warranty on the install.

I watched my buddy do it and the only hard part was putting on the new adhesive and making sure it was clean before it was put back together.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
they must have raised the price one of the guys that works for me had to send his off to get back about a month after the droid came out and it was 75 back then.