Droid Screen cracked!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by tigram22, Jan 23, 2010.

1. tigram22

tigram22 New Member

I dont have any insurance on it and I have for 2 months now. :sad:
    Anybody know away I can get the screen replace?
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Tough break.... I thought I saw an ad that said it can be done for $139.

Looking for it....How did it happen?
  3. Mr.G

Mr.G New Member

Wooow. How'd that happen? Does it still work at all (Makes/Receives calls)? Is the actual screen cracked or just the transparent covering?
  4. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

what'd you do to it?
  5. tigram22

tigram22 New Member

It fell off my desk somehow. I just walked into the room and it was on the floor.
    If you can find it that would really help alot!
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

7. Mr.G

Mr.G New Member

Before you try this I'd recommend making a call to Verizon if you haven't already. I remember a screen going tits up on one of my older phones from Alltel and they just sent me a new phone. It couldn't hurt either way to try.

Hope your issues get resolved.
  8. tigram22

tigram22 New Member

I'm gonna try to give them a call first.
    I just dont want to pay 500 for a new phone
  9. audioman42

audioman42 New Member

If you wait a little longer, replacement screens will probably be available on eBay soon for about $30. Then you could just change it yourself.
  10. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Is your desk 10 stories up next to a busy street with nothing but semi trucks driving by? Because a drop off a desk is not nearly enough impact to break gorilla glass! Be honest...
  11. tigram22

tigram22 New Member

I have no reason to lie on a forum. Its not like any of you guys gonna give new droid.
    Maybe it hit foot the chair when it fell, I didnt see it happened. It a was on the floor by the desk with the screen cracked
  12. pb8185

pb8185 New Member

I remember a forum post while back about someone dropping it getting out of his car, fell maybe 2 feet, and the screen cracked completely. So it's definitely possible.

Just because it uses gorilla glass doesn't mean it won't break. There are many design flaws with the phone. If you protect a tank with extremely thick plating but leave a tiny opening somewhere on its side, then it's still vulnerable to gunfire. Just an analogy.
  13. smcannon

smcannon New Member

Verizon has a cracked screen replacement policy. They can provide for you one of their CLNR (Certified Like New Replacements) for $50. Easy fix.
  14. Vashis

Vashis Premium Member Premium Member

My brother did the same thing getting out of his car. When he went to the store some sells rep told him it would cost hime 50 bucks to get a new phone and it would be a refurb. Luckly he ran into the guy that sold us our phones. We tooked him up with a google voice invite so when he found out my brother cracked his screen he took over the sell and got him a new phone for 50 bucks.

Still costed him 50 bucks but it's quite the deal to get a new replacement phone without the insurance.

My best guess is that what you hear from verizon has to do with who you talk to. Seems like the sell reps can do as much or as little as they want to, to some extent.
  15. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Don't be ridiculous. Gorilla Glass is shatter and scratch resistant. It is not unbreakable nor unscratchable. A short drop can definitely shatter the screen.
  16. wctaylor79

wctaylor79 Premium Member Premium Member

Usually the $50 is if u have insurance or are VIP. What it takes to be VIP idk. All I know is I am. However I have seen friends that go to verizon wihout insurance and get replacement. Technically the rep just claims as manufacture defect even if screen broke and since it is still under manufacture warranty they can swap it. But as said in other post it really depends on rep. Some are jerks some are nice. Doesn't hurt to at least try. Worst case they say no. Heck I have been told no. We went back next day with dif rep and then been told ok. Or even just went to another verizon store. Just make sure store u are going to is not just authorized verizon dealer. Make sure it is a corporate store. Good luck. When/if you get new phone insurance is always worth it. You have a 2 year contract. Anything can happen. Espacially with smart phones.
  17. jetcitydevices

jetcitydevices New Member

I actually own the company being referred to in this link. First, thanks to Backnblack for posting about us.

Secondly, we actually charge $20 less than that price at the moment. Our Motorola Droid repair is $120 plus return shipping. We have all the parts in stock so the repair is usually finished and mailed back out within 24 hours of receiving the phone.

The prices are usually dropping for parts so in another month that price will probably be even less.

A quick FYI to people wanting to do this repair yourself. The parts are available on Ebay for about $40 and you can see a video of the take-apart process here:

Be warned: I've fixed a lot of different phones and the original Droid is one of the most difficult. It's very time consuming (plan on at least 90 minutes if you've never done it beofre) and one thing that video doesn't show is a very fragile ribbon cable underneath the screen. It's extremely easy to tear and if you do, the whole phone is pretty much garbage.
  18. ruinah

ruinah New Member

19. lancerooke

lancerooke New Member

A drop off a desk is plenty enough to break it. Mine just cracked and it only fell off my bed. Any tips on reassembly once I have it taken apart to replace the touch screen?
  20. catituw2007

catituw2007 New Member

here you go my friend this will help go on directfix.com to order your supplies
Search tags for this page
can you fix droid screens

cracked droid screen

droid cracked screen

droid dna cracked screen
fix cracked droid screen
how to fix cracked droid screen
how to fix cracked screen on motorola droid
how to fix minor cracked droid dna screen
i cracked my droid screen
my verizon droid screen is cracked
phone cell droid cracked screen repaircoronaca