Droid Sales marching towards 1 million

Jason

Reaction score
I think the Droid needs to go mainstream if you really want to see a lot more apps and accessories for so I'm ok with it going mainstream

kevin1016

Reaction score
As much I want to see the droid community grow in popularity, I have to say there is a TINY part of me that doesn't want the droid to go hugely mainstream and sell massive amounts. It sort of takes a little away from the exclusivity of having such an advanced phone if every idiot is running around with one having no idea what to do with it. Us techies can feel a little cool if we are the only ones who understand enough to use this phone to its true potential.

Anyone else feel like that at all or am I just being selfish? :\
I think you sound like an elitist whiner. What exactly is it about this phone that you think an "idiot" would have no idea how to use? Everything about the phone is pretty straight forward and simple to use. Some people are having problems with getting the right settings implemented so it works exactly how they want it but that doesn't mean they have "no idea what to do with it". Please explain.

jamesf

Reaction score
As much I want to see the droid community grow in popularity, I have to say there is a TINY part of me that doesn't want the droid to go hugely mainstream and sell massive amounts. It sort of takes a little away from the exclusivity of having such an advanced phone if every idiot is running around with one having no idea what to do with it. Us techies can feel a little cool if we are the only ones who understand enough to use this phone to its true potential.

Anyone else feel like that at all or am I just being selfish? :\

Well I think I know what you mean when you talk about it not going mainstream where everyone is carrying one. It's like how the old Harley riders felt when HD starting to really commercialize their operation, building brand clothing lines, and retail stores.

But, thanks to that, HD saw a huge success in their business, reinvented their image, etc. Everyone wanted a Harley and that had waiting lists for the next year.

iPhone has been dug in for now, what 3 years, 4? Droid needs to take it mainstream to get people to a) know about it and b) convert people from iPhones. If they just sit back and quietly sell, Apple will steamroll them. Not because their phone is inferior but because nobody knows.

I'm sure Apple is not dismissing the Droid as they probably did with the Pre.

ltfrakes

Reaction score
Well I think Apple created both the market and the need for competition. It doesn't help that there are many frustrated iphone users, who are fed up with the Apple arrogance.

kilo

Reaction score
Trust me when I say that anyone reading this forum is in no danger of being collated into the "idiot" category. I am no einstein of tech myself, but I used to work a circuit city and it made me sick to see the amount of literal IDIOTS that came in and bought bleeding edge technology just to be able to say they have the most advanced or coolest stuff and actually have no idea how to use it.

What I really mean is, this forum and its people share something unique. A real interest in the technology of this phone and its capabilities, I would just like to keep the droid in the hands of people like us, and out of the hands of snobbish retards who only want it cause "its the cool thing to have" and really have no idea what it can do. Not that those people don't have a right to own the phone, but just the idea of hearing some sorority chick bragging to her friends that she has the droid and how its soooo kewwwll and junk me want to vomit, but whatever, thats my piece. I wasn't bashing anyone who isn't a tech guru or any such thing so I apologize if it came off like that, I was moreso offering up my own feelings. Cheers.

Mojo

Reaction score
Trust me when I say that anyone reading this forum is in no danger of being collated into the "idiot" category. I am no einstein of tech myself, but I used to work a circuit city and it made me sick to see the amount of literal IDIOTS that came in and bought bleeding edge technology just to be able to say they have the most advanced or coolest stuff and actually have no idea how to use it.

What I really mean is, this forum and its people share something unique. A real interest in the technology of this phone and its capabilities, I would just like to keep the droid in the hands of people like us, and out of the hands of snobbish retards who only want it cause "its the cool thing to have" and really have no idea what it can do. Not that those people don't have a right to own the phone, but just the idea of hearing some sorority chick bragging to her friends that she has the droid and how its soooo kewwwll and junk me want to vomit, but whatever, thats my piece. I wasn't bashing anyone who isn't a tech guru or any such thing so I apologize if it came off like that, I was moreso offering up my own feelings. Cheers.

Well the "Snobbish retards" you speak of keep me in business, and I will happily sell droids or what ever there heart fancys all day long to them. I think what is worse than some one not knowing how to use their device is the real techie ones that come in and know my job better than me :blink: ask a bunch of stupid questions that they already know the answer to. Just so they can feel like they are smart. Then leave with out buying anything and order from wirefly or VZW online. Then have the audacity to come back in my store with more questions.

jk6959

Reaction score
Have these figures been backed up by anyone? I understand the Droid was probably the most pushed Android phone this year and probably (hopefully) had stellar sales, but it sounds like just one analyst has made this claim and everyone's taken it as fact. I know analysts can do incredibly technical analysis, but they can also get it wrong and / or have a vested interest in Motorola Droid selling well too.

I wish they pushed the phone here in UK, around 2/3 of the people I know have been due for upgrades 1-2 months either side of now and if more people knew of the alternatives they might think about the Droid - but I've asked 10-20 phone store-managers and none - absolutely none knew about potentially stocking the Droid/Milestone in the future and the majority just plain never heard of it. It's literally setting itself up to be tech-geek only here in UK and most people will just go with cheap touchscreens, iPhone 3GS, some blackberry/nokia or something like the Hero as those are the phones that are being pushed here.

I'm not too worried about lack of it becoming a hit as if the Nexus-one is truely the next developers phone, then hopefully they'll start optimising more and more of the Android experience for our latest architecture of Arm chips (snapdragon and cortex a8 and various gpu's) and we can free-ride off the new Dev-Phone rather than forcing google to optimise Android for droid/milestone users because of the sheer volume of users. Hopefully having an iPhone-clone as the dev phone would also help them develop core-android to be more user-friendly (but hopefully not dumbing it down too much).

LordKastle

Reaction score
JK..you can be sure about one thing. Here in the United States the Nexus will not be "truely the next developers phone." Here it is limited to T-Mobile, one of the worst services, and if bugs can be worked out on AT&T it will be capable on that network too. But as of right now the device cannot connect to 3G on AT&T.

Also, Google and the Android OS are trying to pull even with a marketplace like Apple's. The one thing they can't do is rely on one phone like Apple did because Google is pushing the Android OS on multiple devices and carriers. There will be a core-group of Droid phones each generation that will be compatible with most of the apps and games. Nexus will be one of them but it will not be "the next developers phone."

justbob

Reaction score
No matter which phone "wins" the sales war (if you want to call it that), we all win. Because now, the iPhone has some serious competition, and competition spurs innovation. BOTH platforms will be better off because of it. The smartphone monopoly is over. Let the games begin! :)

Cristiana

Reaction score
Help with video please....

Does anyone know why I can't view my videos that I email from my droid? I either can't view the attachment or sometimes I get an error message that the data can't be feteched and one time we got the audi on the video but couldn't see anything... I'm also bothered that I can't zoom when taking a video is my phone defective or does everyone experience this? Please send feedback--many thanks
Cristiana