Droid run over by car

ameyers1

Reaction score
Long story short: left my droid on top of my car and forgot about it, then drove off. Later on I realized what happened and went to the street it could have been on and found it, with a different screen design.

now how to I check my text messages?!

here it is:

http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o359/awesomeandy100/Photoon2010-07-01at2103.jpg

Photoon2010-07-01at2103.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A

ameyers1

Reaction score
if/when I get a new one, how would I transfer all my stuff? i have my current sd card contents in a file on my desktop. (the sd card still works perfectly fine)
But how would i transfer all my roms and everything?
Just switch Sd cards?
Will that transfer over my jrummy froyo kangerade?

OP
A

ameyers1

Reaction score
I can get phone calls in fact I was just on the phone with someone, but the screen stays black, so i have to guess where the answer slider is.
The speaker and microphone worked, but is there a way to transfer text messages to my computer?
or to my new phone?

What if I peeled off all the little pieces of glass, would that make the screen work?

JCo352

Reaction score
I dont know about the texts, if you get them through google voice, you can get them on your computer. As for the screen you can try, but I doubt it will work.

jookyone

Reaction score
I can get phone calls in fact I was just on the phone with someone, but the screen stays black, so i have to guess where the answer slider is.
The speaker and microphone worked, but is there a way to transfer text messages to my computer?
or to my new phone?

What if I peeled off all the little pieces of glass, would that make the screen work?

I wouldn't peel off the glass. Assuming you had your phone in USB debugging mode, It might be possible to use a program to intercept the screen and display it on your computer at 6fps (limitation of the debug bridge).

Droid@Screen : RiboComments

I use this for tech demos at work when demonstrating capabilities with Android/AIR/Flash.

Then you could download one of the backup solutions and run it to get your text messages saved to the SD card in some fashion.

OP
A

ameyers1

Reaction score
Okay thanks.

anyways, so how does this sound:
1. Reroot with DMupdater?
2. swap SD cards?

jookyone

Reaction score
Okay thanks.

2. swap SD cards?

ROM Manager > DMUpdater IMO

Verizon seemingly has an endless Droid refurb supply as proven by my wife. Her GPS stopped working and she took it in, and they replaced her Droid free of charge (Your experience may vary). I'm guessing it has to do with them being contractually obligated to supply hardware suitable to use whatever plan you have signed up for. Perhaps a VZW rep could chime in on that one.

Or maybe she did what females always do... smile and get their way :)

OP
A

ameyers1

Reaction score
what program? and no usb debugging wasn't on.

OP
A

ameyers1

Reaction score
Okay thanks.

2. swap SD cards?

ROM Manager > DMUpdater IMO

Verizon seemingly has an endless Droid refurb supply as proven by my wife. Her GPS stopped working and she took it in, and they replaced her Droid free of charge (Your experience may vary). I'm guessing it has to do with them being contractually obligated to supply hardware suitable to use whatever plan you have signed up for. Perhaps a VZW rep could chime in on that one.

Or maybe she did what females always do... smile and get their way :)

Yeh I would have to pay for mine. Women just have it easy.

jookyone

Reaction score

jookyone

Reaction score
what program? and no usb debugging wasn't on.

The program I linked to: Droid@Screen : RiboComments

Not sure what your technical level is, but the jar on that page is the program. You need Java installed on your computer. I am testing a method now to enable it thru console... I will report back.

EDIT: Requires Android SDK also which you get here: Android SDK | Android Developers

I don't think there is a way to enable debugging remotely thru the command line, so if that wasn't enabled, then this solution won't work.