Droid Rooting?

eleedy

Reaction score
Alright, so I've had a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon since February which was unbelievably simple to overclock, and now I switched to the droid and I'd like to overclock it/experiment with this whole rooting thing. I have 2.2 FRG22D and i'm having a hard time finding a way to root it and overclock it because everything I read is different and I'm not sure which is the best way. To my understanding, to overclock the Droid with 2.2 FRG22D, I have to root it, which Soup or Root seems like the best way to go, and the download SetCPU and I don't need to install any custom roms or kernels, correct?

Thanks!

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Try z4root from the market to root it, and yes setcpu is a good way to oc the D1. Without a custom kernel you can only oc to 800mhz. Get the ROM manager from the market to get kernels, I rather prefered chevys low voltage kernels and was oc'd@ 1.1mhz.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
You have two choices for easy rooting, one of which roots very easily but requires a couple of tricks to get a custom recovery image on, and another which roots and gives you a custom recovery image all in fell swoop.

ROM Manager is not a prerequisite and is basically useless other than flashing a custom recovery image unless you want to pay. Open source software is free, right? Save your bucks. :)

Which way do you want to go? Mild overclock and no super backups with a one-click root, possibly followed by a semi-complex process to get a custom recovery? Or one-stop shopping to get root AND the custom recovery. The custom recovery lets you make nandroid backups AND flash new kernels for over 1GHz overclocking.

OP
E

eleedy

Reaction score
All I want to do is root it, install setCPU and overclock to 800mhz. So would Soup or Root work on my Droid 1 (Froyo FRG22D) and then I just buy setCPU from Market and I'll be set? I'm just really nervous about bricking it because if I brick this i'm stuck with a dumb phone until my upgrade date.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Z4root is one click. Be sure to do a backup first. Return to the forums for any other help. These guys are great. Buglessbeast ROM will oc you to 800 without any other work and its free. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
E

eleedy

Reaction score
z4root is missing from the market again so I just sideloaded it and rooted, and overclocked it. Thanks guys!

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Yeah they remove many of the root programs from the market because technically its not allowed.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Rooting technically isn't legal, if it was we wouldn't all scurry to flash a stock sbf when we have problems with our phones that need to be checked out by vzw.

Reaction score
Rooting is completely legal, it just voids the warranty. I don't blame companies for not giving them out rooted, for every one of us who can properly modify our phones there are 20+ ppl who would brick them on the first day. Rooting is so easy, z4root and done. The D1 is a beast as far as oc'ing goes. I am jealous of the unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1
It can still be found on the XDA forums

Which is odd because rooting is legal. I didn't know it was down again. :) Should have just dropped that link first because it's ALWAYS up.

DroidForums junkie!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Rooting technically isn't legal, if it was we wouldn't all scurry to flash a stock sbf when we have problems with our phones that need to be checked out by vzw.

It's 100% legal as defined by a court ruling earlier this year.

Rooting is completely legal, it just voids the warranty. I don't blame companies for not giving them out rooted, for every one of us who can properly modify our phones there are 20+ ppl who would brick them on the first day. Rooting is so easy, z4root and done. The D1 is a beast as far as oc'ing goes. I am jealous of the unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

If they sent them out rooted then how could we brick them while rooting them? :) They don't want them rooted because a) it allows access to tethering apps and they want to milk every penny they can out of us like any capitalistic entity, and b) it's a terrible security risk. :)

However, as the OP has rooted his phone and is happy, let's move on. Shall we? dancedroid