Droid Rooted Running 2.1 Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by 91rangerturbo, Jan 8, 2010.

1. 91rangerturbo

91rangerturbo New Member

Pros:
    The new 5 screens is nice.
    Live wallpapers are cool too
    The Gallery for Pictures is much improved
    The menu is nice for all your apps and the layout is smooth and well designed waterfall style.

CONS:
    No GPS
    No Support for .gif images either.
    No flash player 10
    No multi-touch

Overall its pretty nice. But i really like the turn by turn navigation. Has anyone found a fix for this? or does theres work?

Feel free to contribute your pros and cons to this also and agree or disagree too..
  2. 91rangerturbo

91rangerturbo New Member

anyone care to share their issues or concerns on this?
  3. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

:icon_eek: flash player or multi-touch cant be a con because no one with a stock phone has that yet anyway.

4. ei8htohms

ei8htohms New Member

whose 2.1 are you using?

I've been using Greek35T v 0.0.4 for awhile now and GPS seems to be working fine. The ROM is a little buggy in other ways, but nothing I haven't learned to adapt to for now...
  5. DroidEric

DroidEric New Member

Ehh I dunno. There's a ROM out there that is 2.1 with multi touch. AllDroid.org - View topic - [ROM] NexusOne Updated - Multitouch & More The only issue I really had with this one was pictures not being saved to the SD. I think that's the one. Geez man there have been so many ROM's and updates from a small group of developers that I can't keep track of it all. Try the link I posted. Its money. GPS works fine for me on this one as well. As far a gifs and flash...its a waiting game. I traded my Eris in for the Droid and I gave up flash in the process. I don't really miss it though because pages load faster in its absence.
  6. 91rangerturbo

91rangerturbo New Member

Good Point. But what about .gif images? that sucks we can't view them. I am guessing that will come with flash. but who knows for sure.

7. Droidlicous

Droidlicous New Member

Actually since the last Handcent update my animated pics text work, so might wanna check it out
  8. Canefan

Canefan New Member

Why do you list "No GPS" as a con?? I have been running 2.1 for a couple of weeks now and my GPS works just fine. My ONLY problem with the 2.1 version that I have (Greeks) is the keyboard backlight issue. For those few times that I am texting in the dark, I just use the onscreen keyboard (or the voice input which is only available on 2.1 and works great btw).
  9. messenger13

messenger13 New Member

With all due respect, there's not too much I agree with on either list. :icon_eek:

Pros:
    The new 5 screens is nice. True.
    Live wallpapers are cool too. Umm ... NO!!! They dog down the DROID and cause FCs and reboots ... with all 3 ROMs I tested.
    The Gallery for Pictures is much improved True.
    The menu is nice for all your apps and the layout is smooth and well designed waterfall style. True.

CONS:
    No GPS Mine worked
    No Support for .gif images either. What the others said.
    No flash player 10 Umm ... that's an Adobe thing. Not a 2.1 thing.
    No multi-touch I gots multi-touch all over the place. :)

By the way, Flash 10.1 is gonna be released soon. VERY soon. Perhaps even before the OTA 2.1 "official" update.
  10. Dougw133

Dougw133 New Member

My GPS works fine
    The live wallpapers are causing reboots (3 times since yesterday)
    It is a lot more slick but I'm not seeing any MAJOR ground breaking things we couldn't get before.
    5 home screens default is nice but easily done with pandahome, ahome, home++ etc.. I like that it's 5 screens without a boggy home replacement though.
    Caused some issues with some other apps. I have "Beautiful Widgets app" and use the weather/clock widget. You used to be able to touch any part of the clock and it would open the alarm clock settings, this no longer works.

Also google search by voice seems slower and isnt always picking up sound now.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  11. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

messenger13: try the "blades of grass" wallpaper... zero force closes for over a week :)
  12. schertz7

schertz7 New Member

I just recently returned my phone back to the OTA 2.0.1 mainly for the bugs and issues I had with greeks 2.1. Each time after I opened the picture gallery, I would lose all touch abilities on the home screen. The only things that worked were the backlight touch icons on the bottom of the screen. I was pulling the battery and rebooting at least three times a day. Now that I went back to 2.0.1, Its unreal to see how much faster that version is. Easily blowing away the loading speed of the 2.1.
  13. DrewMullen

DrewMullen New Member

im using gps on it.... have like 15 times...

i have no proof of this but i feel like 2.1 wastes my battery quicker than 2.0.1. also its lags a bit more imo (im not a dev)
  14. evilsock

evilsock New Member

you know there is new SPRecovery 0.99.2b on sholes and just below that is new rom with milestone multitouch browser and all the other goodies from 2.1 plus all the stuff works. aaaaaand drum roll plz.....wifi tether app thats mad easy to set up and works. im on it right now with my netbook :icon_ banana: few speed bugs and ladscape bug, but waaay less bugs that 2.1 on 2.0.1
  15. bots

bots New Member

I can't stand the launcher in 2.1. Maybe when an version of 2.1 is optimized for droid, but for now, it is too slow/unresponsive. Also, the browser lag that we got when updating to 2.01 is still there.
  16. messenger13

messenger13 New Member

I did have that one active for a few days. But it still made the DROID laggy. Besides ... I am definitely OLD SKOOL. I like my backgrounds BLAK, BLAC, or BLACK! ;)
  17. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

i like blades of grass because it changes with respect to the time of day :)

and yes it lags the homescreens a bit
  18. Slammer

Slammer New Member

i like blades of grass because it changes with respect to the time of day :)

and yes it lags the homescreens a bit[/QUOTE]

COOLLLLL!!!
  19. titos

titos New Member

it it just me or does GREEK35T_REV.0.0.41 make the droid very laggy
  20. miamidroid

miamidroid New Member

you know I downloaded an overclock app, and although it doesnt overclock the droid it does show the current proc speed through a widget and i noticed that when not in use the droid goes to 250ghz and if you try to open apps and stuff it stays at 250 and is very laggy, however when I open up the settings and adjust so that it is running 550mhz then everything runs incredibly smoother. now I dont know if its the overclock app that makes it run at 250mhz, but when its running @ 550 everything works great except the keyboard but the app drawer is 10x faster and homescreens are smooth also launching apps is alot quicker. If the speed settings are adjusted through the os instead of the app that I have then that could explain why people are complaining that everything is sooo laggy...