Droid Root helper Install /Busybox Probs

maverick45

Reaction score
I've rooted my phone, successfully run DMUpdater upgrade all is working well! When I tried to use MM it says to have busybox installed first or it won't work right. Downloaded BB tried to install wouldn't do it. I then downloaded DroidRootHelper OTA as a .zip file direct to my phone but can't figure out how to get Astro to install it on my phone. I also tried Unix commands to install busybox and evidently that didn't work because when I opened MetaMorph it gave me the same message "no files".:mad::mad: I'm sure I'm missing just one or two important steps to get this done. Can someone pulease.....help me out.
Thanks

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I've rooted my phone, successfully run DMUpdater upgrade all is working well! When I tried to use MM it says to have busybox installed first or it won't work right. Downloaded BB tried to install wouldn't do it. I then downloaded DroidRootHelper OTA as a .zip file direct to my phone but can't figure out how to get Astro to install it on my phone. I also tried Unix commands to install busybox and evidently that didn't work because when I opened MetaMorph it gave me the same message "no files".:mad::mad: I'm sure I'm missing just one or two important steps to get this done. Can someone pulease.....help me out.
Thanks

Ok dmupdater should have put busybox on your phone. Look in system/bin and see if busybox is there, if not look in system/xbin. If its in one of those places we can get it working for ya.

OP
M

maverick45

Reaction score
Thanks

Ok dmupdater should have put busybox on your phone. Look in system/bin and see if busybox is there, if not look in system/xbin. If its in one of those places we can get it working for ya.
Ok... I typed "su" then "cd system/xbin" now I'm at the {root@droid} xbin #

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Su
Mount -o remount,rw -o yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
Chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox.
Or
Chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox

OP
M

maverick45

Reaction score
Ok I entered the commands just as you suggested. It accepted both commands without an error. Meta Morph still show the same thing "no files" When I start it.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Su
Mount -o remount,rw -o yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
Chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox.
Or
Chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox

Use astro to see if its in system/bin or system/xbin and use these commands depending on which.

OP
M

maverick45

Reaction score
I just downloaded Astro a couple of days ago and haven't really had a chance to get familiar with it. How do I do that??

OP
M

maverick45

Reaction score
I just used search
astro and it came back with about6 entries: /sdcard/downloads/Tools/busybox,/sdcard/downloads/Tools/busybox.sh /sdcard/downloads/Tools/busybox, /sdcard/nandroid/UltimateDroid_8.1.1update/system/xbin/busybox, /sdcard/Tools/busybox , /sdcard/Tools/busybox.sh ,/sdcard/busybox

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I just downloaded Astro a couple of days ago and haven't really had a chance to get familiar with it. How do I do that??

Open it up and will say /sdcard at top,hit up(folder with up arrow), should just say /. Find system, hit it, find bin, hit it, see if busybox is listed. If not hit back button and find xbin, hit it and see if busybox is listed.

OP
M

maverick45

Reaction score

Open it up and will say /sdcard at top,hit up(folder with up arrow), should just say /. Find system, hit it, find bin, hit it, see if busybox is listed. If not hit back button and find xbin, hit it and see if busybox is listed.
/xbin has a busybox in it.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I just used search
astro and it came back with about6 entries: /sdcard/downloads/Tools/busybox,/sdcard/downloads/Tools/busybox.sh /sdcard/downloads/Tools/busybox, /sdcard/nandroid/UltimateDroid_8.1.1update/system/xbin/busybox, /sdcard/Tools/busybox , /sdcard/Tools/busybox.sh ,/sdcard/busybox

Looks like busybox is everywhere except where you need it. Try unrooting with dmupdater then rooting again. Then check.

OP
M

maverick45

Reaction score
I just used search

Looks like busybox is everywhere except where you need it. Try unrooting with dmupdater then rooting again. Then check.
I unrooted and re-rooted using Dupdater. Everything went well. Phone is working perfectly, except the MM. Still doesn't have any themes showing up. However I ran Astro and there is an /xbin directory with BB in it. I looked at the subfolder/file/app whatever iti s properties and it isn't empty,it has data in it unlike the other one. What do you suggest next an install command??
Thanks for all your patience and assistance!
Mav

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So busybox is in /system/xbin/busybox? MM still won't up right? What error do you get when you open MM?

OP
M

maverick45

Reaction score
None. I created Android Files directory with Astro and it is on the SD. I open MM and where there are themes showing the tutorial there are none in mine. Don't tell me I have to DL files first to that folder in order for it to work?? I was under the impression it came with a couple and then you could DL more. I' gonna feel real stupid if you tell me I need to grab some files in order for it to work...

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do not want to confuse but would this section of Matth3W's tutorial be helpful?
If you want to patch a Metamorph Theme...keep going, otherwise, skip this section (credit to Johnny Kansas for this)

68. Download Metamorph from the Market. Download a theme. Should be in .zip format. Put that zip in the "AndroidThemes" folder that Metamorph created.

69. Open Metamorph and select "pick theme"

70. Select the zip file of the theme you want to apply. It will then extract the files.

71. To apply it, click "existing theme"

72. Select the theme you're trying to apply, and then find the proper file. The file with the Metamorph logo (green M) is the file you need to select.

73. After selecting that file, it will show you what individual components you can apply the theme to "gmail, calendar, etc."

74. You can select one at a time to apply, or you can select apply all to put the entire theme on.

NOTE: framework-res will change things like status bar and etc. It's the only part that requires a reboot, but metamorph will detect if you install it and ask you if you want to reboot. Make sure the theme you want to install is compatible with the rom you're using...Otherwise not everything (If anything) will be themed...AND other issues may arise.

ALSO, if you get a Busy Box error:

Ok, I got an error saying I either didn't have enough memory in my system folder or busybox is not installed. BB is installed because I use it with Titanium Backup. System says 31.18MB free, how do I free up space in the system folder? I have like 109MB free and maybe only 30-40 apps.

I ran into this too. It's not the space issue, it's the location of BB. Using the directions you provided (thanks BTW) I installed BB 1.1 and it put busybox in the /system/xbin folder. However, metamorph looks for it in the /system/bin folder.

Copy and paste the busybox file in to the /system/bin folder then it should work fine.

- My blog (updates, downloads, hacking, news about the Droid): Click Here
- My custom "Droid" launcher that changes colors: Click Here
- My custom icon packs (free for download): Click Here
- The ultimate hack-your-Droid Bugless Beast thread: Click Here

Now writing news stories for AllDroid.org!
Last edited by Matth3w; 03-21-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Matth3w is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message