Droid ROM for Droid 2

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by bhempel, Apr 10, 2011.

1. bhempel

bhempel New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Droid 2. I would like to use Liquid Gingerbread ROM which is for the Droid. Can I still use this ROM for the Droid 2?

2. mrpotatohead99

mrpotatohead99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, unfortunately you cannot use that ROM on the D2 because the 2 phones have completely different hardware and as such the individual ROMs have to be customized to work on that specific set of hardware. Installing an incompatible ROM on a device could even brick the device. Make sure you are always installing a ROM that support the device you are installing to and/or was installing a ROM that was made for that device.

3. natecorbitt

natecorbitt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to rooting, but I was looking at installing the new Cyanogen 7 mod. I have a Droid 2, but on the Cyanogen page, it only lists the Droid. Can I assume that mod will not work on my phone then?

4. mrpotatohead99

mrpotatohead99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Correct. The Droid "version" (per se) of CM7 will not work on the Droid 2. Though I do own a Droid 2 myself (you can see I haven't updated my signature haha) and I believe that CM7 is available for the Droid 2 as well. I am not absolutely positive but see here for the link I am referring to. Can someone confirm this for me? Basically, do NOT take my word for it and do NOT install because this may be for the HTC Liberty (a completely different phone). I am not sure.

5. nerdslogic

nerdslogic Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No LGB or CM7 for the Droid 2....bummer I know.

But there is the GB leak you can install and I have been majorly impressed with it. Let me post some screenshots of battery life and quadrant scores to show you why. Keep in mind Quadrant scores mean little to nothing....but I assure you....how they reflect is pretty close to how it performs. My phone is FAST, extremely stable which I haven't experienced in almost a year, and seems to be lasting forever.

6. nerdslogic

nerdslogic Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Here you go
    [​IMG]

Also please note I have an ELB
    [​IMG]

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

7. natecorbitt

natecorbitt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I read that because of the bootloader on the Droid 2, there was a much higher probability of bricking your phone. Is this from rooting in general or just trying to install a ROM that isn't supported? (Sorry. I'm new to all this, so if there is some sort of newbie's guide for the Droid 2, I'd love to read up on it.)

8. mrpotatohead99

mrpotatohead99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Installing a ROM that does not support you phone will almost always brick it. Since your phone is rooted it allows you to customize your phone a lot and as such there is always a risking of doing some wrong and bricking the phone that would not be present if you were not rooted and just went stock. The Droid 2's locked bootloader makes it more "brickable" in the sense that if your system partition (the operating system) is missing or messed up then you will be unable to boot into recovery and as such unable to restore your phone, therefor making it a brick. An unlocked bootloader would allow you to overwrite Google's recovery with a customer recovery like ClockworkMod, generally allowing you to always boot into recovery an restore your phone, even if the system partition is erased. the only reason you wouldnt is if he boot partition was messed up. Hope that all makes sense and answers your questions.

Search tags for this page

rom for a droid 2